Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 05-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #11
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

I took a big crash on my GSX-R750....shattered my right hip socket....didn't walk for 3 months...didn't walk without a limp for 3 months after that. I rebuilt the 750 and rode for another season...but the "thrill" was largely gone. It was uncomfortable to ride over the road...and I always felt like a spring wound too tight when riding it...like, this is boring as fuck...and it would just build and build and build until I was compelled to wring it's neck just for something to do...for some fun.

I fell in love with the M109-R's when they first came out in 2006....the lines....that massive V-Twin motor....I knew I was going to get one...just a matter of when. I bought one new in 2007....and haven't looked back. I can ride all day not be beat up....and actually ENJOY the ride....I don't have that frustrated "when can I wring this things neck" feeling anymore....It has PLENTY of power...and it gets through the twisties pretty well for a big bike. I honestly wouldn't go back to a SS.

I've been getting the ADV itch lately too....I'd like to have an dual sport....to take off roading....camping and all of that. I spend hours on the ADVRiders forums living vicariously through the ride reports there....it probably won't be long before a F800 or GS1200 appears in my garage to keep the M109-R company.

I think things change....people change...their reasons for wanting to get out there and ride change....and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Ride the ride that makes YOU happiest...that is the entire point of getting out there.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:10 PM   #12
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Ahhhh.... ya old coot!

Just joking, why not an ST? Still get the power, but add functionality, seating position, and luggage space?
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:11 PM   #13
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

I'm with ya trip... Thought to be honest... Not sure I've ever been in love with the blazing speed(probably cause I'm not blazing fast) but the risk just aren't worth it to me.

I've always been into the adventure of roadtrips. Ill keep the 600rr but I'm gonna be buying something that makes roadtrips more entertaining. The DS's get me excited just thinking about it. The rr will stay... But I have a feeling ill be putting more of my time,$, and heart into the adventure touring.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #14
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

i'll chime in. early 40's been riding since i was 5. a few years back i stopped riding. it was no longer fun. everytime i rode i pushed harder trying to find the old excitement. it just wasn't there. I'm not blazing fast but i've done a lot of things on street and dirt that should have ended with me in a box. so no fun i quit. missed the hell out of riding in general though. wasn't sure what to really do for fun. my identity has almost always been with bikes.
so i went back to riding on a CBR600f4I. not bad but still not fun. So I tried one more thing and switched back to HD. i started with them many years ago.
suddenly riding is fun again. maybe it was the break, maybe it's just the different style. i do enjoy taking the sweepers slower and enjoying the scenery. the smells and just the vibe of the machine.
most of my friends have either crashed hard or just quit from boredom so now days i ride a lot alone. the cruiser works nice for it.not saying i'd never go back but for awhile i think i'll keep the cruiser. i did pass on the big bike though. felt way too big to flip through traffic in the city. i ride congested roads to work and have to be able to manuever quickly on a regular basis.
I don't mind not having to scan every turn and ramp for johnny law either.

Oh and don't worry about the scooter tramps here disowning you. For the most part the HD guys want nothing to do with us because we wear too much gear and the sportbike guys for the most part ride with anybody as long as you do wear gear. lol
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:38 PM   #15
t-homo
WSB Champion

I don't ride hard on the street due to the risks. I absolutely love it and can't wait to get to the track though. I've also been considering sport touring, but not really sure.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #16
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

you are still banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #17
shmike
Follower

Don't sell the RR, paint it pink.

You don't want to ride slower, you want to ride GAY-er.

The Smirnoff gives it away.
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:54 PM   #18
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Don't sell the RR, paint it pink.

You don't want to ride slower, you want to ride GAY-er.

The Smirnoff gives it away.
I actually thought about doing something goofy like that. I would love to piss off the tourists by passing them with a gay pink bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:58 PM   #19
Looni2ns
Crazy Lady Rider

Moto: '05 SV650S "Baby", '00 Bandit 600S "Rita", '87 EX500 (track)

Trip, you've just learned the true meaning of "The Pace".

When I'm at the track, I'm hauling like I've got a pack of mad dogs on my butt. All I have to focus on are my skills, my bike, and the next turn. The track is clean, no cops, no gray-hairs turning in front of me.

But out on the roads, like those around Suches and the Gap, it's different. Gravel, gray-hairs, cops, oil on the road, and tar snakes make the experience totally different. Saturday, my focus was completely different. Oh, and then add the rain.

Think a different riding environment, like a track day, would give you more pleasure than trying to haul butt and stay alive on the street? Or is it something else that makes you think about a different type of bike and riding style?
Looni2ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:01 PM   #20
t-homo
WSB Champion

"The Pace" is an incredible article.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote