Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 11-29-2010, 07:55 PM   #11
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

I dont see any value in releasing this information. Its like making someones personal text messages public. The war documents released before had useful information that gave insights into Iraq and Afghanistan. I havent seen any revelations in what was released this week, most of the opinions are probably common sentiments around Washington that arent shared publicly, its just embarrassing to see this leak out.

Washington doesnt have a high opinion of the UK government: Im not surprised, Cameron ran on a platform of no longer bending to the USs will like Tony Blair.

The king of Saudi Arabia wants the US to attack Iran: Anybody who knows about the Middle East will know that Saudi Arabia are basically enemies. Iran is Shiite and Saudi Arabia is Sunni. Iran blames the West for the condition of the Middle East, Saudi Arabia relize on the West almost completely for its economy. Iran wants to to be the big dog in the Middle East, Saudi Arabia is the big dog because of its financial influence.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:59 PM   #12
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

It pretty much goes without saying that almost every embassy is bugged, and that many "diplomats" or "trade officials" are intellgence agents. "Deputy Under-Secretary for Agriculture" yeah right.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:56 PM   #13
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

http://www.satirewire.com/content/?p=2238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:28 PM   #14
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
That site is GOLD....
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:02 PM   #15
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
They shoot spies, you know. You should be able to trust that DIPLOMATIC personnel are dealing in a fairly open way with you, not committing acts of espionage. When such happens it isn't uncommon for countries to break diplomatic ties, or simply expel the offenders. "Diplomatic Immunity has just been revoked."
I'm just guessing since I have never been involved in anything close to that field, but I would think intelligence agencies would have an exceedingly difficult time collecting information if their agents' business cards say "Covert Agent" on them. It is a bit naive to think that this isn't happening all the time.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:20 PM   #16
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I'm just guessing since I have never been involved in anything close to that field, but I would think intelligence agencies would have an exceedingly difficult time collecting information if their agents' business cards say "Covert Agent" on them. It is a bit naive to think that this isn't happening all the time.
Hardly what I'm saying, at all. What I'm saying is that using a DIPLOMATIC MISSION to perform espionage is completely contrary to its purpose. It's a breach of the trust that permits such places to operate as if they were foreign soil, and it's personnel to carry diplomatic immunity. As far as I'm concerned the moment that a diplomatic mission is used to cover such purpose, the hosting nation can freely enter and search, and either expel or charge with espionage anyone within it.

If you want to perform such operations OUTSIDE of the rules for such missions, then so be it.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #17
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Hardly what I'm saying, at all. What I'm saying is that using a DIPLOMATIC MISSION to perform espionage is completely contrary to its purpose. It's a breach of the trust that permits such places to operate as if they were foreign soil, and it's personnel to carry diplomatic immunity. As far as I'm concerned the moment that a diplomatic mission is used to cover such purpose, the hosting nation can freely enter and search, and either expel or charge with espionage anyone within it.

If you want to perform such operations OUTSIDE of the rules for such missions, then so be it.
Of course it is a breech of trust. How honest do you think intelligence agencies should be? Covering intelligence agents as diplomats has been going on for as long as I am aware. From the reading I have done on the Cold War there may have been more intelligence agents covered as diplomats in our embassy in the Soviet Union than there were actual diplomats. The same went for their embassy here. I suspect it was tolerated under the assumption that kind of thing played a large part in keeping the war from becoming "hot".
Old 12-01-2010, 03:11 PM   #18
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Of course it is a breech of trust. How honest do you think intelligence agencies should be? Covering intelligence agents as diplomats has been going on for as long as I am aware. From the reading I have done on the Cold War there may have been more intelligence agents covered as diplomats in our embassy in the Soviet Union than there were actual diplomats. The same went for their embassy here. I suspect it was tolerated under the assumption that kind of thing played a large part in keeping the war from becoming "hot".
Which in no way excuses doing the same to your allies.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:28 PM   #19
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Which in no way excuses doing the same to your allies.
Allies change and assuming they will stay allies forever is negligent at best. Your country is one of our strongest allies and yet I'm pretty confident we not only spy on you, but have plans ready to go to invade or destroy your country if the necessary were to arise. Regan liked to use the phrase "trust, but verify" and the concept holds true for enemies and allies alike.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:34 PM   #20
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Allies change and assuming they will stay allies forever is negligent at best. Your country is one of our strongest allies and yet I'm pretty confident we not only spy on you, but have plans ready to go to invade or destroy your country if the necessary were to arise. Regan liked to use the phrase "trust, but verify" and the concept holds true for enemies and allies alike.
What he said.

Sorry for your idealistic approach PC, but I'm thinking those glasses are a lil too rosy.

Diplomatic missions can pretty much be called spying missions. You are there to see how your "allies" feel about things, who else they are friends with, the position they may take in any given situation, what their weaknesses are that can be exploited, either by you or an enemy, and a million other things and report back to the powers that be. They aren't there to shake hands and drink champagne. Its a fact and information gathering tool.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote