Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 10-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #31
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Erik won't let buell dissolve.

Harley may drop em, but he'll come through with something else. He always does..

It is a shame though. If they would have franchised them out with the Japanese dealers instead of keeping them in the Harley boutiques, they may have sold better.
I think Buell will do something to come back on its own. I doubt Eric will let it completely die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
just means marko will have something new to bitch about lol

it actually sucks, i was loving the buells and what they stood for
Dude you don't even know... I think this is going to completely devistate Marko. He is going to need a big "biz hug".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
anybody else think this is just the start or things?

Honda still has a lot of new 07s on the floor.

They just happen to have a big parent company to eat the losses.
I think its just the start of things. Something more will happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
Is there anything Harley Davidson on the 1125R? What does Buell need from Harley Davidson? Dealerships for sales and service.

Too bad Eric doesn't know that this is the best thing to happen to him. He should distance himself from Harley Davidson, which caters to aging baby-boomers (but not me).
I don't think there is any hd on the new 1125. Marko will know for sure.

I agree. I think Eric will now be able to direct design where ever he wants. Like he did with the 1125.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:08 PM   #32
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Erik Buell can't go anywhere else with his name on it or with any of the designs Buell created. Hell, Harley can sue the pants off of him if he tried to pawn off any of his ideas anywhere else that he created for Buell. Harley owns his designs and his name. HD will have to get paid to release any of this to anyone including Erik Buell. Apparently there were no worthy buyers, so it's gone.

Buell is dead in the water until Harley says so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:30 PM   #33
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Unless HD allows Eric to buy out HD from the name sakes

Run Amsoil Product
Old 10-15-2009, 03:36 PM   #34
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Unless HD allows Eric to buy out HD from the name sakes
yep, he has to chalk up a bunch of cash to get Buell back and all the crap that comes with it. No one wants to pay their price because the brand isn't worth it at this point. It has no dealers or service centers besides Harley. Harley still has to deal with the warranties. Whoever buys the name, has to deal with all that shit and no one wants that shit right now. You may see a remergence later after parts issues and warranty service are no longer on the plate and they can start brand new without having to deal with these bikes at all, but that may be years down the road.
Quote:
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 10-15-2009, 03:41 PM   #35
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

I dont know man. There is way too much passion in Erik Buell to let this go by the wasteside. This has been his baby from day one.

I wont admit to knowing it all but marko has told me about it. Has a book on it. I just do see Eric calling this quits.

besides you are speaking from speculation. Nobody here knows the contracts between buell and hd.

Run Amsoil Product
Old 10-15-2009, 03:46 PM   #36
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
I wont admit to knowing it all but marko has told me about it. Has a book on it. I just do see Eric calling this quits.

besides you are speaking from speculation. Nobody here knows the contracts between buell and hd.
He isn't calling it quits, he is working for Harley now. He said it himself. I don't see him finding a financial backer to save what's left of Buell without the Harley network. The amount of cash he needs to go it alone to keep the old line going would be huge. He would have to recreate most of the dealer network and have the cash to do all the warranty shit. It's a ton of fucking money that he just doesn't have without harley. That's what took him from a boutique bike builder to what Buell is now, Harley money.

HD owns a majority stake in the Buell name/brand/designs. He is stuck. HD effectively owns everything he did with that brand including the name. He would have to start from complete scratch.
Quote:
Old 10-15-2009, 03:57 PM   #37
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
He isn't calling it quits, he is working for Harley now. He said it himself. I don't see him finding a financial backer to save what's left of Buell without the Harley network. The amount of cash he needs to go it alone to keep the old line going would be huge. He would have to recreate most of the dealer network and have the cash to do all the warranty shit. It's a ton of fucking money that he just doesn't have without harley. That's what took him from a boutique bike builder to what Buell is now, Harley money.

HD owns a majority stake in the Buell name/brand/designs. He is stuck. HD effectively owns everything he did with that brand including the name. He would have to start from complete scratch.
He could offer them a % of profits if they allow him to continue on their own. Release a few trademarks and patents, provide a small(proportionately) amount of cash for start up costs.... He could be on his way unless HD fears that he could never be profitable alone. Which sounds like the reason they are shutting them down. He couldn't make money even with HD backing.

He'd have to have a lot of private investors backing him for a while. Maybe the AMA will keep him afloat....
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:59 PM   #38
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Yeah who knows... I sure hope that Eric figures something out. I don't want to see such a great platform fall aways just because of this crappy economy.

Run Amsoil Product
Old 10-15-2009, 04:05 PM   #39
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Yeah who knows... I sure hope that Eric figures something out. I don't want to see such a great platform fall aways just because of this crappy economy.
I think for the time being, it's gone. There is no getting around that without Harley. Erik will probably work over there and hope that this economy can improve to the point where they can have a resurrection of the brand. I don't think you will see it around for at least 10 years though, if not more.

I'll say you will probably see some new Harley models with Buell influence or design going forward though.
Quote:
Old 10-15-2009, 04:45 PM   #40
CasterTroy

Quote:
I don't think you will see it around for at least 10 years though, if not more.
I think you're right

Quote:
You may see a remergence later after parts issues and warranty service are no longer on the plate and they can start brand new without having to deal with these bikes at all
Isn't 10 years the magic required number for MFG to keep parts on a shelf?