Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Touring

Old 04-28-2008, 10:50 PM   #1
Nighthawk
Red Sled Rider

Moto: BMW R1100RS
Default Good times start when the gas runs out

Well it seemed like a good idea at the time.
My dad and I wanted to take a test ride to Ocean City Maryland a couple of weekends ago, a short 650 mile one way trip. Somewhere near Wheeling, WV some card board flow out of the back of a pick-up and hit dads bike breaking off his new running light, so we had to pull off and remove the hanging parts and wire tie the rest. Item one the for the big trip duct tape. We also had planed a stop at Bob’s BMW to pick up some turn signals for me (another story another time), at 3:56 we pull in the parking lot. They close at 4:00 pm. Everyone was nice and amazed we rode in from Columbus, Ohio to buy turn signals, they even joke that they do ship items. Were is the fun in that, we are heading down route 50 now. O wait getting across the bridge. If you have never pushed a 500 lbs motorcycle a mile in the heat, traffic and all your gear on, you should try it. The line to pay your toll to get across the stupid bridge was about an hour. Open up more toll lanes Maryland. Now we are moving again down route 50 to Ocean City, with everything unzipped to help dry off from pushing the bikes. With 90 miles left to go and the sun getting low I pull off at a gas station and dad thinks I’m lost again. (another time another story) It never fails that I seem to be the one in front. Well I look at dad and say it would not be hard to talk me into getting a motel room, this is funny because we are both carrying 400 lbs of camping gear. Seeing us go down the road we look like we could camp for weeks with all the stuff we have strapped on the bikes. So we ride for 15 more miles and get a room. We seem to attract drunk people where ever we go, even in Maryland blah blah I LOVE YOU MAN RIDE ON I LOVE YOUR BIKE Have another beer. Dinner was good and the bed was soft.
Sunday from hell
We knew we were going to get a little rain. You could just see it coming in from the West. So as we got closer I was watching the wipers on the cars coming the other way, When they were going we pulled off the freeway and put on the rain suits. I don’t mind a little rain when riding. We rode for 100 miles in the rain. I hit rivers crossing the freeway, one time the spray knocked my feet off the foot pegs. Dad said he completely lost sight of me in the spray. We slowed down to about 40 mph after that from 65. After making it out of the rain we need gas and to get out of the rain suit. We see a road sign stating gas next exit. We exit. At the end of the ramp the gas sign has been removed from the big blue sign. With both the yellow gas light burning bright we were really hoping for gas here. While talking about what to do, the tornado siren goes off. NICE. Well we head back out on the freeway, for some reason I didn’t look back for about 10 min. dad has always been there, well not this time. I pull off to the side and wait and wait some more. I turn on the cell and 30 sec later dad was calling to say he has run out of gas, 10 miles back at the ON RAMP with the tornado siren. I now have to find a gas station that sells gas cans as well, I do and fill a gallon jug and strap that on with all the camping stuff we didn’t use and top off my ride. I head back to get dad, all I can think about is the Wizard of OZ. Here goes dad like the witch on the bike. Well we put the gas in and point it down hill to help fill the carburetor. It would NOT start, we gave it some time and tried it again 30 min 45 min an hour no runniee. So off I go to get help.
The tow truck driver.
After finding a tow truck driver willing to pick up a bike (not all will) I have to ride with him to pick up some extra tie down strap for the bike. Another hour goes by and dad is still on the freeway getting rained on now, we show up to save the day. The tow truck drive wants to try using starter fluid first before loading the bike….BINGO. Something else for the trip, gas can and starter fluid. I called and was picked up at an Advanced Auto parts store, Why in hell didn’t he tell me to just buy a can and try it. Saving him the trip out and dad $75.00.
Well after this trip we are cutting our trip to California short, like Cripple Creek, Co. We are taking 2000 mile off the trip to make it a better ride for everyone. Remember Duct tape, gas can and starter fluid.

Last edited by Nighthawk; 04-29-2008 at 09:44 PM..
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:07 PM   #2
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Stories like this show where drewpy comes up with some of the journeys he goes on. I always love hearing these since theres always a good adventure involved when this family starts riding.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:45 PM   #3
t-homo
WSB Champion

Sounds like a good time. Great story and experience at least. Glad everyone made it out of the rain safe with it being as bad as it sounds.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:51 PM   #4
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

i still like the fact that gramps ran out of gas, since he was always bragging about getting more miles then us all the time

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:55 PM   #5
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Nighthawk.... you really need to do the riding blog contest!

glad you guys made it home safe. can't wait to hear about the Cali trip...well guess it's gonna be called the CO trip now LOL
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:14 AM   #6
dReWpY
RIP REX

between his story telling ability and osp's im just gonna copy and paste theirs in mine and the only thing original will be a lil

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Old 04-29-2008, 02:31 AM   #7
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

I was gonna say... there are gonna be some crazy stories for sure!
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:08 AM   #8
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Sounds like quite a ride.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:47 AM   #9
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

wow, what an adventure!! Keep'em coming!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:02 PM   #10
dReWpY
RIP REX

my vote is he needs to ride down in june for the rally...

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote: