Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Touring

Old 05-21-2008, 12:05 AM   #1
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes
Default Best Way To Tour

At a CBR forum I belong to, some riders from southern Texas wanted to ride the mountains near Denver. I said I would show them some of my favorite twisties. Three riders showed up in a pick-up truck pulling a trailer with three bikes on it. I thought that was a stupid way to ride. Now with the Buell trouble with Drewpy and friends, I think trailering bikes across the heartland is a great idea.

With three people in the pick-up, they can alternate driving and sleeping. The bikes, tires, and riders are refreshed. If a bike breaks down, it can be trailered. If it snows, or you have to cross the snow-covered Divide, you can trailer the bikes. You can set up a base camp at Denver and ride every twisty road. There are some great roads that end in gravel roads. The bikes could be trailered then. The driving of the truck could be alternated, or done by a spouse.

If I was going to travel a thousand miles, heck even 500 miles, I would rent a motorhome and trailer, and trailer the bike. Then you can hit the twisties, or coast roads without camping gear, tents, food, sleeping bags, etc. strapped to the bike. I can't stand riding two miles on straight interstate, let alone hundreds or thousands of miles.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:55 AM   #2
t-homo
WSB Champion

I will trailer to track days, but my goal is to ride everywhere that I go for trips. Indy, for example.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:26 AM   #3
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

but where's the adventure in that? isn't that the whole point in RIDING on road trips... instead of driving... that shit can happen... that it's not all ways gonna be fair weather... that it may get difficult... at least for me... that's the point... the UNKNOWN

just plan ahead give your self plenty of time, make sure you have enough funds or access to funds to get you back safe, make sure you have someone who knows where you are/knows where to look if you go missing.

other than that... the more flexable the schedule the better for me... when I make a plan for a road trip... like the one I'm doing in September... the plan usually changes 10-15 times... and even when I'm set on one... I have at least 5-20 backup routes (depending on the length of the road trip) in case something happens... ie loose a day and need to make up time ect...

the 3P's and OSP's problems suck... but they make memories... and that... for me... is what the road trip is about... the memories...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:29 AM   #4
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

i've got no problem w/ trailoring. but i've got no problem with riding either.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:08 AM   #5
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
i've got no problem w/ trailoring. but i've got no problem with riding either.

I guess that for "touring" in groups that the trailering thing is ok; for short term rides a distance away, I've trucked the Bimota; it can cut down on the "hassles" but as far as singular touring or "sport" touring, riding is the way to go. Two-thirds of the enjoyment is the journey and the things that happen: the weather you encounter and overcome, the mechanical stuff and the overcoming of obstacles, along with the people you meet and otherwise wouldn't have.

Most of the most memorable tours I've taken have nothing to do with the roads or scenery, they have to do with overcoming a problem, achieving a goal, or meeting some truly great people I hadn't planned to meet.

Otherwise, it's just another ride.

OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

The objective of the Texas threesome was to ride twisty mountain roads, not to ride across Texas. I've driven across Texas in a car many times. I was stationed down there in 1971. No air conditioning, and mending fences so I would have a place to stay. The driving has been blocked out of my mind, but not the people I met and stayed with.

I hate interstates. I-70, east of Denver, is not much fun. An hour into Kansas and you would trade your dog for a curve or any type of turn. I-70, west of Denver blasts through the mountains. It's loaded with SUV's and 18-wheelers. I can get to Idaho Springs by using twisty backroads. Most of them empty. That makes going over the Divide a lot easier after doing some twisties.

But a lot depends on the bike. I wouldn't take my 30-year-old bike, and probably wouldn't enjoy being on a race replica. My CBR is a terrific sport/tourer. Taking it across the Divide to Glenwood Springs or Moab is major fun. But I was never on a schedule and could take plenty of twisty side roads. Even dead ends. I'm fixing that sucker.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:21 PM   #7
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

True... I guess it depends on the reason for the trip... and traveling in a car can be just as entertaining... with the right people...

I really wanna take several day long road trip on just bikes with a couple friends riding with me... think that would be the shit!
Old 05-21-2008, 04:57 PM   #8
t-homo
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
I hate interstates. I-70, east of Denver, is not much fun. An hour into Kansas and you would trade your dog for a curve or any type of turn.
No joke. I live 15 min north of I-70 in MO and have gone on 2 ski trips in colorado at a little place called Ski Cooper. There isn't a fucking turn in the drive other than off ramps to get food or piss until after you are past denver.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:50 AM   #9
sfarson
On a Ride

Moto: Two Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
True... I guess it depends on the reason for the trip... and traveling in a car can be just as entertaining... with the right people...

I really wanna take several day long road trip on just bikes with a couple friends riding with me... think that would be the shit!
Then I won't tell you about the pack of us leaving next week for two days of scenic curvy riding to Miller Motorsports in Utah for the AMA/WSBK races, and after two days of smelling race fuel, two days returning seeing the best of southern Utah and Colorado.

And FWIW, I'm all for trailers as an option. Rode across the country last year taking small highways across the heartland, enjoying small towns along the way, but I also have an enclosed trailer and very much see its value, including escaping Colorado winters for long weekends with my wife, riding down south before returning. Plus the trailer can be a portable garage on these kinds of trips to hotels and tracks.
sfarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:20 AM   #10
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

yeah yeah... your a bastard...