Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
Cover charge= Pay for the band
Menu prices= What you pay the restaurant/bar
Tip=What you pay the server

Don't like the arrangement?..eat at Mickey D's; cook at home, eat out of a goddamn trash can, but don't expect good goddam service.

Sorry, spent my whole life in the biz...it's convention, it's expected and eating effing out is bloody optional. It's an effing luxury...so follow effing convention, but don't blame the effing server, or the effing owner or the effing bartender or the effing stripper if they don't want you if you consistantly don't effing TIP (To Insure Promptness).

You don't like the system? Start your own "no tipping" restaurant, but your gonna go broke 'cause your MENU prices are gonna be 15-25% higher to cover the additional labor costs and everybody's gonna tell everybody else how high your prices are.......ask me how I know this...............

You can yell, holler and shoot puppies out of catapults. It still does not make tipping mandatory.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:
Cover charge= Pay for the band
Menu prices= What you pay the restaurant/bar
Tip=What you pay the server

Don't like the arrangement?..eat at Mickey D's; cook at home, eat out of a goddamn trash can, but don't expect good goddam service.

Sorry, spent my whole life in the biz...it's convention, it's expected and eating effing out is bloody optional. It's an effing luxury...so follow effing convention, but don't blame the effing server, or the effing owner or the effing bartender or the effing stripper if they don't want you if you consistantly don't effing TIP (To Insure Promptness).

You don't like the system? Start your own "no tipping" restaurant, but your gonna go broke 'cause your MENU prices are gonna be 15-25% higher to cover the additional labor costs and everybody's gonna tell everybody else how high your prices are.......ask me how I know this...............
and it's a luxury to get a tip. it is DESERVED not MANDATED. you bring food to a table and walk away. A bit later you say how's your meal. after that would you like dessert. this is not good service, it is basic service mandated to keep your job. tips are earned by someone who goes the extra mile.
a group of friends and i used to go out one a month or so. we would throw $50 on the table when we first sat down. that was the tip unless wait staff screwed up. everytime a drink was empty a buck or two got lifted, every time things were forgotten etc. you would be surprised how many times we left leaving little or no DESERVED tip. a couple times we left the whole thing. (best time in the world to watch a young waitress see that for a tip)
i have a few friends in the business and they do very well for themselves. they have excellent personalities and are very tolerant of people. yes it is a crappy job in a way but if you're the right person for it, it pays very well.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

I hear she finally got mad enough that she ate a trainer at Seaworld...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:15 PM   #4
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Enh, Im with OTB. I've worked it. Fucking hate sunday churchgoers with their pamphlets and 20 people with no tip and europeans as well as some ethnic groups, but by no means would you treat the next table shitty because you got stiffed on the last.

Tmall, dont lump the bad service you've gotten with the good servers you cheap out on. Thats just being a dick even if you are right.

Good servers also earn repeat business, clientele and extraordinary tips from those they treat well. (Except for cheap asses who think they deserve shit without giving the same consideration. thats a good way to have a server see you come in and tell the hostess "fuck no, I aint waiting on those assholes again".)
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post

Tmall, dont lump the bad service you've gotten with the good servers you cheap out on.
It's just an excuse. "I had bad service four years ago so I'm not going to tip anybody ever again".
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:42 AM   #6
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
It's just an excuse. "I had bad service four years ago so I'm not going to tip anybody ever again".
I'm a notorious over-tipper, but I'm not shy about giving no tip when there has been no service.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
MissHell
Followed the crowd over.

Moto: '07 Yahama R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I'm a notorious over-tipper, but I'm not shy about giving no tip when there has been no service.
Same here. I believe it's earned and if you didn't provide me good service, there won't be a tip.

I do despise tip jars at counters. Taking my order at a register and handing it to me, is not tip-worthy service.
MissHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:40 AM   #8
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Quote:

PLease quote where I said this.. You're making yourself look like a fool.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:23 AM   #9
t-homo
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post

PLease quote where I said this.. You're making yourself look like a fool.
I'd say its the other way around.

Being in college, the majority of my friends have at least worked in the food industry at some point in their lives. They come home fucking exhausted after working a shift, or a lot of time doubles on weekends. They work a hell of a lot harder than most minimum wage people and get paid less for it. I've heard stories about known bad tippers getting pushed down the line and people who are more likely to tip better being bumped up. You can bitch about it, but the managers all understand and wont give a fuck about you either.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:33 AM   #10
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
Enh, Im with OTB. I've worked it. Fucking hate sunday churchgoers with their pamphlets and 20 people with no tip and europeans as well as some ethnic groups, but by no means would you treat the next table shitty because you got stiffed on the last.

Tmall, dont lump the bad service you've gotten with the good servers you cheap out on. Thats just being a dick even if you are right.

Good servers also earn repeat business, clientele and extraordinary tips from those they treat well. (Except for cheap asses who think they deserve shit without giving the same consideration. thats a good way to have a server see you come in and tell the hostess "fuck no, I aint waiting on those assholes again".)
I've never once said I was a bad tipper. It just seems like if anybody disagrees with the sense of entitlement the service industry has with tips, you guys think they're cheap. And it's the farthest thing from the truth.

When I'm paying 15 dollars for a plate of fries and a burger and 6 dollars a beer, I am more than covering the expenses of the establishment. And if you're doing a shitty job, like bringing me the wrong food or drink, I will not tip you, or at least not very well.

How you cover your bills and how much you make per hour are of absolutely zero concern to me.

You all bitch and complain about being taxed and don't want to pay for somebody's health care, but see no problem with being taxed an additional 20% for food.

Again, tipping is not law. It's just become common place due to a greedy society. In fact, if I had the option of ordering from the kitchen and getting the food myself, I'd gladly do it. I don't need somebody to walk 45 feet for me and expect 20 dollars for their "effort".

It's like the pizza guy, some times he gets 5 bucks, some times he gets jack shit. If they quote me 40 minutes, and he has it there in 30, 5 bucks for him. If they quote 40 and he's just on time, I'll give him keep the change. If it's anymore than 15 minutes late, well better luck next time..