Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 07-10-2010, 07:56 AM   #1
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Default Mid ohio report

Ok I know you were/are all waiting on the edge of your seats for this so here it is little on the short side due to the heat

So we make it to the track bright and early, get teched and look at the pure sex that is on the pit, about 30 rc8 and rc8rs just waiting ot be flogged.

Since we were never there before we all signed up for novice, they broke it up into 5 groups with 5 being the fastest so we went in group 5 and it worked out perfectly.

First session out I am completley lost, actualy fell behind some and wound up in the pack with group 4 but that coach had me just follow his line so that worked out.

Second session things realy picked up. I had time to process what was out there and figure out a few reference points and realy started moving. A new guy joined our group and he was all over the place, he was missing apexes by well over 10 ft. I got by him after a while and reeled in the others and had some good laps. Durring the next class room session I let our coach know so I think he was going to work with him.

3rd time out things picked up and i was in line with my buddies and we were moving prety good, had a couple of oh shit moments and the heat was taking its toll Theres a blind uphill left hander one turn past the back straight. Went in there prety fast and dragged my boot through most of the turn. I was able to bring my feet in a little more on the pegs so thatmay have helped esp since it seems i could lean these bikes way lower than my gsxr. Then a couple turns past there theres a slight right hander I went through that to set up for the next turn and tighter right hander and wen tin prety hot and almost lost the rear since I was hard on the brakes and still kinda leaned over. I started zoning out a little after that and figured it was best to pit in and get some rest.

I took the next session off and that took us into lunch figured I would regroup some and go out for a session or 2 and try to turn some good laps.

Now they called us out early then we sat out there for a while in our gear in 90 degree heat and it did me in. took it slow at first bu thten wasnt focusing wel and started seeing spots as I was looking for reference marks. safe to say i was done. I think it wa smore heat exhaustion and not dehydration since I hade been hydrating well and my pee was still lighter in color. i was kinda mad at this point but what can ya do, if I tried sucking it up and going back out it wouldnt have ended well.

But it got better from there we showered up and met up with racedoll and hubby for dinner and swapped stories for a while.

So in summary mid ohio fucking rocks, I will be back there to ride it on my gsxr next year the rc8s were nice but not the be all end all I thought they would be. I spent so much time unlearning how to ride twins on the track I had to readjust again LOL all in all the bike felt good though. ergos were good for a bigger guy like me, seemed to handle well, granted ist not set up for my weight. Brakes felt ok and has gobs of power down low.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

So did Karen agree that you need an RC8 yet?
Old 07-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
So did Karen agree that you need an RC8 yet?
thats going to take some work
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Did you get to test the difference between the RC8 and RC8R?

I don't think I read which one you were on....
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote