Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 04-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
playtowinthegame
Trailer Queen

Moto: 2001 yzf-600
Default opinions on mechanical issue

01 yzf 600

i had my rear tire replaced at a polaris dealership on march 2nd. on march 29th, i was on my way to work. coming to a stop light, i noticed my oil light come on, then it disappeared almost as fast as it came on. 2 seconds later it stayed on for good. im thinking"i need an oil change soon". when i go to down shift, i press the clutch, and to my surprise, i have no clutch pressure. i stall the bike at the traffic light. notice fluid on the ground. its oil.

i call tow. tow it to the other bike shop in town, cuz polaris is too expensive for their labor. they tell me the chain was too loose, hit the clutch push rod, broke that, the clutch cover gasket, and the clutch push rod seal.

called polaris to explain their problem. they said the chain loosened by itself. they said the sprocket either had a rounded tooth and it jumped, or the chain just stretched itself. i doubt this. they also said when you take the tire off, the tire goes back by default where it was before.

but the 2nd cheaper shop, where the bike is at now, said it was put on too loose. is it possible that the chain became loose in just 27 days of riding??

guys does this all make sense?? dont u believe polaris is at fault here??
playtowinthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
shmike
Follower

Unless the shop forgot and axle spacer, the wheel would go back to the same place it was before.

The shop wouldn't be at fault unless they overlooked something major but they should have brough a bad sprocket or overly loose chain to your attention.

Sucks to hear about what sounds like significant damage.

Buy yourself a shop manual and set of stands for the bike and learn to do the basic maintenance yourself.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

See what the rules are for your state regarding lemon laws for used motorcycles purchased from dealers. That's your best chance. Otherwise, you are probably SoL and will have to either fix it yourself or take it to a shop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
playtowinthegame
Trailer Queen

is it possible that the chained loosened itself? cuz they said the wheel went back to where it was. so if it was loose before, it would be loose after. and they said if it was loose, they would have told me. which they didnt.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
Trip
Hold mah beer!

how many miles did you put on it? how many miles does the bike have?

Why have you not checked your chain for loose/tight? This needs to be a habit for every ride.
Quote:
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 04-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #6
playtowinthegame
Trailer Queen

well im a new rider, so im not sure how often i should check it. and i put about 1500 on it.
it left the dealership with the chain tightened according to them. **** the dealership put on the tire, i did not buy the bike from them.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #7
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

rule of thumb
WHENEVER you see that light come on, no matter how quick or even if you think it MAYBE came on while you are riding, kill the engine and pull over immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by playtowinthegame View Post
well im a new rider, so im not sure how often i should check it. and i put about 1500 on it.
it left the dealership with the chain tightened according to them. **** the dealership put on the tire, i did not buy the bike from them.
Some people don't check their chain that often. Some people like me, check them all the time. At 1500 miles, you should of checked it at least a few times to lube/clean the chain. General rules I follow is about 250/300 miles deserves at least a check/lube. I usually clean it about that often too.

You aren't going to get them to cover this, you are going to have to pay or do it yourself. It isn't their responsibility to make sure your sprockets and chain are in good working condition if you are just getting a new tire.
Quote:
Old 04-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #9
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

On all (older) bikes I've worked on, the wheel has to be pushed toward the front of the bike in order for the chain to be slack. That way the chain can be slipped over the sprocket. And it has to put on the same way, with the chain slack so it can slip over the sprocket. Then the chain has to be tightened and the wheel aligned.

My friend's single-sided VFR is the the only type that I know of where the chain doesn't move. I'm calling BS on the mechanic's "they also said when you take the tire off, the tire goes back by default where it was before" statement unless someone can show me that the newer bikes do go back by default.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by playtowinthegame View Post
01 yzf 600

i had my rear tire replaced at a polaris dealership on march 2nd. on march 29th, i was on my way to work. coming to a stop light, i noticed my oil light come on, then it disappeared almost as fast as it came on. 2 seconds later it stayed on for good. im thinking"i need an oil change soon". when i go to down shift, i press the clutch, and to my surprise, i have no clutch pressure. i stall the bike at the traffic light. notice fluid on the ground. its oil.

i call tow. tow it to the other bike shop in town, cuz polaris is too expensive for their labor. they tell me the chain was too loose, hit the clutch push rod, broke that, the clutch cover gasket, and the clutch push rod seal.

called polaris to explain their problem. they said the chain loosened by itself. they said the sprocket either had a rounded tooth and it jumped, or the chain just stretched itself. i doubt this. they also said when you take the tire off, the tire goes back by default where it was before.

but the 2nd cheaper shop, where the bike is at now, said it was put on too loose. is it possible that the chain became loose in just 27 days of riding??

guys does this all make sense?? dont u believe polaris is at fault here??
No, it doesn't make sense.

For starters, there is no way in hell the chain "hit" the clutch push rod. The clutch push rod, is nestled deep inside the clutch basket, which is underneath the clutch cover, which is on the OPPOSITE side of the bike.

So, unless your chain jumped off the sprockets, made it's way around to the other side of the bike, borrowed a wrench from a passer by, removed the clutch cover, then jumped inside and got to whacking on the clutch, your mechanic is on glue.

Generally speaking, when shit goes horribly wrong with a drive chain, they tend to wad themselves up between the counter shaft sprocket and the engine case. When this happens, the bike usually comes to a screeching halt, and catapults your ass over the bars. The left side case would likely be leaking, and your transmission would be in a serious state of fucked.

Now, all that shit combined could "possibly" (unlikely) also cause damage to the clutch push rod, but not before it tore up all kinds of other shit on the way there.

I'm not sure your chain issue has anything to do with your clutch issue.

The easiest, and most common way to fuck up a clutch push rod, is to ride to piss out of something, and ignore the service limits of the clutch springs. When they get weak, bad shit happens...

Just out of curiosity, where was the oil you saw coming from?

JC