Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 03-04-2008, 07:48 AM   #1
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1
Default Back from (day 1 of) Daytona Bike Week...

Mornin all.....

WOO HOOOOOO.... we (Chris, Sterling, Beefcake and I) were all in Daytona for bike week yesterday. As always, freakin spectacular weather - about 80, breeze in the air, sunny... just gorgeous.

Even though the event technically started last Friday, weekdays at the speedway (which is where we spent the day) are surprisingly non-chaotic. We got there by 7:30 a.m., and I managed to get in five demo rides (normally if you can squeeze in three in a day, you're doing good)....

Typically Kawasaki is the only manufacturer (of the major Japanese brands anyway) to bring out sport and supersport models (due to insurance reasons). But to our surprise, Yamaha brought out the R1, R6 and R6S this year (WOOT!). Buell also had the 1125R, however due to the way Buell schedules their demo rides, you basically get to just stand in a line at their booth for hours and WAIT to get on one.

I managed to ride the R6 (daaaaangerously fun), the R6S (love it), the ZX10R (WAY love it), the new Ninja 250 (so much fun!) and the Buell XB9CX (wouldn't ride it if they gave it to me for free). I'll work up ride reports and post up pictures from the speedway later on; and we're heading back down tomorrow night for the Kawasaki party at Hooters (last year was a blast!)
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:50 AM   #2
Mule
Snidely Whiplash

Moto: 05 xb9sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
Mornin all.....

WOO HOOOOOO.... we (Chris, Sterling, Beefcake and I) were all in Daytona for bike week yesterday. As always, freakin spectacular weather - about 80, breeze in the air, sunny... just gorgeous.

Even though the event technically started last Friday, weekdays at the speedway (which is where we spent the day) are surprisingly non-chaotic. We got there by 7:30 a.m., and I managed to get in five demo rides (normally if you can squeeze in three in a day, you're doing good)....

Typically Kawasaki is the only manufacturer (of the major Japanese brands anyway) to bring out sport and supersport models (due to insurance reasons). But to our surprise, Yamaha brought out the R1, R6 and R6S this year (WOOT!). Buell also had the 1125R, however due to the way Buell schedules their demo rides, you basically get to just stand in a line at their booth for hours and WAIT to get on one.

I managed to ride the R6 (daaaaangerously fun), the R6S (love it), the ZX10R (WAY love it), the new Ninja 250 (so much fun!) and the Buell XB9CX (wouldn't ride it if they gave it to me for free). I'll work up ride reports and post up pictures from the speedway later on; and we're heading back down tomorrow night for the Kawasaki party at Hooters (last year was a blast!)
any pics???

show us your bewbies!!!!!!!
Old 03-04-2008, 07:51 AM   #3
neebelung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
any pics???

show us your bewbies!!!!!!!
Lots of pics (I'll post em later - left the camera at home)... but none of my bewbies.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:57 AM   #4
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

no pics, BOOOO!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:03 AM   #5
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

How tall are you, Nee?

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:08 AM   #6
neebelung

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
How tall are you, Nee?
5'8", 32" inseam.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:09 AM   #7
neebelung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post

no pics, BOOOO!!!
Sorry... I'll get them up tonight... we got up at 4:00 yesterday morning, so by the time we got home last night, all we could do is go to sleeeeeeeeeep.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:09 AM   #8
DLIT
Clit Commander

Quote:
5'8", 32" inseam.
Okay, just wondering because the R6 sits pretty high up. Interested to hear your thoughts. What were you able to test-ride it on, the track?

Old 03-04-2008, 08:21 AM   #9
neebelung

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
Okay, just wondering because the R6 sits pretty high up. Interested to hear your thoughts. What were you able to test-ride it on, the track?
It was tall actually, very tall. I didn't know if maybe having the suspension set properly would help with that maybe a LITTLE bit

Nope, test ride was just street, though we were able to get up to about 92 mph through a couple sections.

Frankly, I LOVED the thing (taking off from the first traffic light, I was literally giggling in my helmet), but I think it's PURELY a track beast; way too agressive/compact of a riding position to try to ride it daily/on the street.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:26 AM   #10
DLIT
Clit Commander

Quote:
It was tall actually, very tall. I didn't know if maybe having the suspension set properly would help with that maybe a LITTLE bit

Nope, test ride was just street, though we were able to get up to about 92 mph through a couple sections.

Frankly, I LOVED the thing (taking off from the first traffic light, I was literally giggling in my helmet), but I think it's PURELY a track beast; way too agressive/compact of a riding position to try to ride it daily/on the street.
Were you able to get it past 12k RPM? Thing pulls like mad at that point. the power kicks in around 9k and once 12k hits, you're gone.