Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Aftermarket Modding

Old 07-20-2010, 05:24 PM   #21
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Where did i say when the bike is on? Your charging system doesnt operate at full blast when its on. It adjust itself to the load on the battery.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #22
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Fellas...

When there is a load on the battery, whether the bike is on or off, it will affect the charge/discharge system of the bike.

However, I don't agree that running the fan, which is an integral part of the electrical system will have an adverse effect on the system itself. In fact, I've looked at this situation a bit more and still think that if you had wired one fan to run whenever the bike was on, you would have achieved the same result, perhaps even slightly better. Again, more rad surface without airflow....
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:32 PM   #23
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
Charging systems on bikes are not as reliable as vehicles. I'd rather not risk my R/R melting or my stator burning out. With the stator inside the engine, it is as hot as the engine if not hotter. The alternator of vehicle is separate and has its own cooling.

Ya ya. I know. "My bike has never had an electrical problem." Good, I hope you don't cause they suck.
My ZX-11 is a gajillion years old with 4hunfred million miles
Original electro luv inside

My CB, friends Hurricanes and CBR's. Electrics were a fucking ticking time bomb.

Reminds me...I got make sure I have emergency numbers for friends with pickups and and reputable tow companies on my phone now that I'm back in Honda camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:05 PM   #24
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Fellas...

When there is a load on the battery, whether the bike is on or off, it will affect the charge/discharge system of the bike.

However, I don't agree that running the fan, which is an integral part of the electrical system will have an adverse effect on the system itself. In fact, I've looked at this situation a bit more and still think that if you had wired one fan to run whenever the bike was on, you would have achieved the same result, perhaps even slightly better. Again, more rad surface without airflow....
Depends on the amps the fan is pulling. If its high enough and is on constant, it will hurt the battery. I don't trust these little batteries. I never said running the fan from time to time was bad. I was stating from a "constant" on.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:04 AM   #25
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
Depends on the amps the fan is pulling. If its high enough and is on constant, it will hurt the battery. I don't trust these little batteries. I never said running the fan from time to time was bad. I was stating from a "constant" on.
Actually turning it on is where it's going to draw the most current... Letting it run for two straight hours will probably be easier on the system than having it go on and off 5 times.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:36 AM   #26
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Actually turning it on is where it's going to draw the most current... Letting it run for two straight hours will probably be easier on the system than having it go on and off 5 times.
I believe that there are two fans, if you have one run all the time or whenever you are in a traffic situation, it'll cut down on the time the second fan runs...which should lower your overall current draw profile. Or not.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:46 AM   #27
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
I believe that there are two fans, if you have one run all the time or whenever you are in a traffic situation, it'll cut down on the time the second fan runs...which should lower your overall current draw profile. Or not.
Maybe... You just have to figure out what the current draw is at startup vs the running current... Then try to figure out how often it will kick on and off...

Like when you buy an air conditioner for your house... it's better to buy one sized right, or a little smaller, than to buy one that's too big for your place. Letting one run all the time uses less energy than one that clicks on and off a dozen times an hour.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #28
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Maybe... You just have to figure out what the current draw is at startup vs the running current... Then try to figure out how often it will kick on and off...

Like when you buy an air conditioner for your house... it's better to buy one sized right, or a little smaller, than to buy one that's too big for your place. Letting one run all the time uses less energy than one that clicks on and off a dozen times an hour.
Yea...kinda...I'm not sure about that.