Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 06-25-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6
Default Spies to Aprilia in WSBK for 2010 ?

I hope not but...

http://astwo.wordpress.com/

This time of the year of every year, it’s considered silly season. It is when the riders of professional motorcycle racing gets into negotiation mode for their following year ride and salary. Some stays, some will switch racing series, and some will switch teams.

Rumors are running around that Ben Spies, WSBK rookie-superstar is negotiating with Aprilia for a ride with Max Biaggi for 2010. Ben Spies is raising his asking price to 1.1 million Euros which is 10% more of what he’s currently receiving from Yamaha. Yamaha Motor Europe Racing Division Manager, Laurens Klein Koerkamp has not confirmed an agreement with Ben Spies’s new asking price. On the other hand, Aprilia is more than happy to let go Shinya Nakano for the new WSBK sensation and pay for the asking price. Aprilia’s racing manager Giampiero Sacchi has said: “If he wants to, he can sign with us right away.” In addition, Tech 3 Yamaha wants to sign Ben as well, where would he go? It’s not surprised to see the Texan receive so many offers since he’s been putting on an excellent performance with brand new tracks, brand new team and brand new bike.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Can't blame him, how many points has he lost due to technical issues in the first half of the season?
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
Can't blame him, how many points has he lost due to technical issues in the first half of the season?
I was thinking the exact same thing.
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:51 PM   #4
Rider
Moto GP Star

Agreed, Yamaha lost him the championship. That's part of the game though. I hope he stays with Yamaha, with a little better reliability he could win a championship next season.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:00 PM   #5
shmike
Follower

You guys really think that Aprilia would offer less issues that he has had with the FACTORY Yamaha team?

For a 10% difference, I'd stick with Yammie. With the exposure and sponsorships I'd be willing to bet he could stay and still come out ahead.
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:01 PM   #6
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
About the same as he lost by dumping himself on his head for the first time(s) in 3 years.
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
You guys really think that Aprilia would offer less issues that he has had with the FACTORY Yamaha team?

For a 10% difference, I'd stick with Yammie. With the exposure and sponsorships I'd be willing to bet he could stay and still come out ahead.

Yea we agree on something. I could swear that I've heard that Biaggi is having problems with the bike. Quite frankly, if he wasn't why isn't he doing better in WSBK?
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:03 PM   #8
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
About the same as he lost by dumping himself on his head for the first time(s) in 3 years.

Oh shoot, it's getting weird! I was thinking that too! He's definitely done some of the damage himself!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:03 PM   #9
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Oh shoot, it's getting weird! I was thinking that too! He's definitely done some of the damage himself!
He has, it's probably 50/50 so far.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #10
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
It's been about 3 wrecks and 3 technical difficulties, I think. At any rate, it's not helping him.

As far as Aprilia being better... probably not. But after his last race you can't blame him for showing Yamaha he's willing to play the field, either.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote