Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 12-14-2009, 10:31 PM   #1
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300
Default Using throttle to control cornering arc?

One of the key missed steps in advancing rider skill is getting comfortable using throttle application to control cornering arc while leaned over in a turn.

How are you doing in grasping/mastering this?

Last edited by tached1000rr; 12-14-2009 at 10:39 PM..
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:33 PM   #2
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

Wait, wut? How so?

I use my body to control the arc--go a little wide and dip the shoulder down to tighten it--but I don't know that I'm consciously controlling the arc with the throttle.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Wait, wut? How so?

I use my body to control the arc--go a little wide and dip the shoulder down to tighten it--but I don't know that I'm consciously controlling the arc with the throttle.
Grossly exaggerated here, but need to tighten up arc, carefully chop/reduce throttle input, need to widen arc, give it more throttle, with more throttle the bike wants to come/straighten up.
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tached1000rr View Post
Grossly exaggerated here, but need to tighten up arc, carefully chop/reduce throttle input, need to widen arc, give it more throttle, with more throttle the bike wants to come/straighten up.

Thats bass-ackwards from what I've ever heard/experienced.

If I've overshot a corner, I lean harder and give it gas to tighten it up.

BRAKING makes a bike stand up and want to go straight

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding the original statement
Old 12-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #5
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Yes, grabbing brakes will stand the bike up; but we're not talking about braking; we're talking about decreasing or increasing throttle (speed) mid-turn. You don't believe me? Next time you go for a ride find a nice, long constant radius turn, pick a constant speed, and then roll off the throttle without changing anything else; the bike will tighten up it's turning radius; and the converse is also true.

Don't take my word for it...go try it out.....
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4
Default For the doubting Thomas

http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/to...p?TOPIC_ID=311

And a little more math for high-speed turns:

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=88999

And this paper, which is primarily concerns itself with the role of yaw inputs, but explains and models the 6 forces (not including rider position, which is actually a seventh parameter) in the complex role of turning a motorcycle.

http://www.dinamoto.it/DINAMOTO/8_on...ringtorque.htm
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:09 PM   #7
Speedracer42
Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
Yes, grabbing brakes will stand the bike up; but we're not talking about braking; we're talking about decreasing or increasing throttle (speed) mid-turn. You don't believe me? Next time you go for a ride find a nice, long constant radius turn, pick a constant speed, and then roll off the throttle without changing anything else; the bike will tighten up it's turning radius; and the converse is also true.

Your theory is speed dependent. If you are going to call people out for making posts that are relevent to the track, then you need to clarify wtf you are talking about. Me, I don't do much street riding and don't care to. But I can assure you as I approach T1 at my home track from a terminal velocity of over 170mph and intiate turn in at over 100 if I roll off the throttle and leave it off the last thing that is gonna happen is that my turn will magically tighten. The bike won't like that at all.
Speedracer42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:27 PM   #8
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

Quote:

I know exactly what you're talking about OTB. Try it on a 750lb cruiser and you'll see how fast it falls into and tightens up the turn if you back off the throttle a bit and opposite for adding throttle. This is very minor throttle adjustments mind you. And it's really noticable because it's hard to shift your weight and body on a wide cruiser seat so that's the best way to adjust your line. I did a LOT of this trying to keep up with Kerry and Kathy going across the Cherohala Skyway back in May. I finally had to give up when they picked up their pace and quit playing around

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:12 PM   #9
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:

It tightens up because when reducing speed you have now given much more time to complete the radius granted you have the same lean angle and the same force to the center.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:46 PM   #10
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

I try to set up the corner before entry but if necessary, I will use more brake on corner entry... is this a trick question? You're not on the throttle on corner entry which basically determines your arc. Obviously, you can make adjustments with the throttle on corner exit... I don't know, it just seems like an awkward question....
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote