Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 07-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
udman
You are not the Man!!

Moto: Hawk GT
Default These is gonna be some busy Mofos..

Governor Brewer activates new food stamp fraud prevention unit
Posted - 7/2/2010 at 6:06PM

Governor Jan Brewer and the Arizona Department of Economic Security set in motion a new anti-fraud unit effective July 1. The new DES Trafficking Detection Unit will ensure that people obtaining food stamps are not using these benefits illegally.

"We have an obligation to taxpayers," said Governor Brewer. "These benefits can only be used by people who are eligible and need help. The State of Arizona will not tolerate any abuse of government benefits. The Nutrition Assistance Program is a necessary part of the safety net, particularly in these difficult times, but these benefits must be used to purchase food. Anything else is illegal."

DES denied payments of approximately $9.4 million in Nutrition and Cash Assistance benefits to ineligible clients as a result of investigations conducted by the DES Office of Special Investigations in 2008 and 2009. The TDU, which becomes operational today, will ensure that recipients of nutrition assistance are not trying to convert these benefits into cash, in violation of state and federal law.

The unit will include at least two investigators who meet the standards for Sworn Peace Officers, established by the Arizona Peace Officer Standards and Training Board. The unit will focus on recipient fraud associated with retailer trafficking by:

-Investigating the use of the electronic benefit transaction cards issued to persons who qualify for -Nutrition Assistance
-Working with state, federal and local law enforcement organizations to investigate evidence that clients are trying to use the benefit cards illegally
-Conducting fraud investigations that may include undercover operations
-Assisting with the prosecution of persons committing benefit fraud

The DES unit will be working with Arizona retailers who support the Nutrition Assistance program. "We welcome this effort and will cooperate fully to ensure that all recipients of public benefits are using them properly," said Tim McCabe, President of the Arizona Food Marketers Alliance. "Our members work diligently to comply with the law and we support any effort that reassures the public that everyone is playing by the rules."

Anyone who believes they have evidence that benefits are being used fraudulently should report the abuse by contacting the DES Fraud hotline at 1-800-251-2436, or by filing an online Fraud Report.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Gonna need more than that
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

2 people?

I heard an idea that I like. If you are on food stamps you MUST use a seperate individual line at the grocery store that is clearly marked that you are on food stamps. No need for other people who have their shit together wait forever as you seperate your beer and smokes from your high dollar steak.

Also you can only buy generic stuff. Sams Cola and not Coca-Cola. No Mayfield for you too.

Those caught abusing the system get a lifetime ban. If you have kids and can't feed them because of that ban then they become part of the state.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Hell I know a guy that gives money to get more back in food stamps (well its actually a credit card thing they give people.)
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
Hell I know a guy that gives money to get more back in food stamps (well its actually a credit card thing they give people.)
Growing up in NYC I used top get $.75 on the food stamp dollar
Old 07-04-2010, 04:19 AM   #6
Riceaholic
High Life Drinker

Moto: 01 GSXR 1000 - Yamaha Zuma 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
2 people?

I heard an idea that I like. If you are on food stamps you MUST use a seperate individual line at the grocery store that is clearly marked that you are on food stamps. No need for other people who have their shit together wait forever as you seperate your beer and smokes from your high dollar steak.

Also you can only buy generic stuff. Sams Cola and not Coca-Cola. No Mayfield for you too.

Those caught abusing the system get a lifetime ban. If you have kids and can't feed them because of that ban then they become part of the state.
But the article said at least two, which leads me to believe it may be as many as three.

Last edited by Riceaholic; 07-04-2010 at 04:22 AM..
Riceaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:43 AM   #7
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Good for Brewer.
It looks she's hitting all message board hot topics.

Elections cycles rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote