Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 07-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage
Default What Do You Think

Been shopping around for a new car. The only day I can buy in the next 8 days or so is wednesday. I've tested about 11 cars and hated something about all but 3.

I like the Chevy Cruze, very impressed with the new Hyundai elantra, and am intrigued by the Kia soul. I will probably buy all 3 in manual form.

Any experience with any of these 3?
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

I've had a Hyundai Elantra rental before. They're solid cars that have come a long way from the old Hyundai fall apart specials of the 90's- early 00's. Very solid, not too bad in the looks department, and get some really solid write-ups. If I were in the market, I would potentially put my money down for one.

I haven't driven the Soul personally, but I know quite a few people at school who own them and they've got a kind of cultish (in a positive way) attitude towards the thing. It's a quirky looking car, but it's growing on me, just from seeing them so much. Take that for what it's worth.

No experience with the Cruze. Looks like a nice design, but I've only seen about one or two around town, so can't speak more than the looks.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
AquaPython
put it THIS way

Hyundai has been making some really nice stuff in the last few years.

I am considering one for my next.

My mom has the Genesis and loves it more than her last two Lexi.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

The kia soul is a cool concept, looks good... until I got up close. The car feels cheap. The Chevy Cruz is downright disappointing, its a poor excuse for a car, i would relate it to the Hyundai's of the 90s, it just feels that bad. The Hyundai Elantra is the only one of the 3 I haven't driven but I would recommend it over the other 2 in a heart beat
Old 07-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

I've driven all 3. The Hyundai
Is the best of the 3. The Soul does have a cheap feel to it. I thought the chevy did as well. The hyundai seemed to have the best all around quality and seemed to be evenly powered size to hp. The manual model is a fun drive.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

I'm diggin the Kia Forte Koup and Hyundai Genesis Coupe.

Last edited by Rangerscott; 07-11-2011 at 09:20 PM..
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Any differences (significant) on insurance for these 3? That might help make your decision.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
Porkchop
125GP Champion

The Elantra shocked me. It wasnt even in my original list to test drive. The dealer sat me down in one, and I'm like "oh here we go, he sits me down in a loaded out car thats out of my price range." Until I found out it was the base GLS with the preferred package. Has the alloys, mirror signals, a schmexy little spoiler that makes the car so much more sporty, auto dimming mirror, cruise control, bluetooth, and heated front and back seats. I like the red with the two tone interior..

1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Old 07-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #9
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Sorry for the big pictures peeps. What happened to picture resizing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
The kia soul is a cool concept, looks good... until I got up close. The car feels cheap. The Chevy Cruz is downright disappointing, its a poor excuse for a car, i would relate it to the Hyundai's of the 90s, it just feels that bad. The Hyundai Elantra is the only one of the 3 I haven't driven but I would recommend it over the other 2 in a heart beat
What didn't you like about the the Cruze? I kinda liked how the seats and parts of the dash had that meshy black running shoe look. Liked the guage package. Plenty of leg and body room for my fat ass. THe only reason the Soul was thrown into the equation is they remembered I said I may want a manual and since they had no manual Elantras in stock they thought they would give it a shot. And the thing is super cheap. Like almost into the 15's cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
I've driven all 3. The Hyundai
Is the best of the 3. The Soul does have a cheap feel to it. I thought the chevy did as well. The hyundai seemed to have the best all around quality and seemed to be evenly powered size to hp. The manual model is a fun drive.
They had no manuals in stock so I only drove the auto Hyundai. I liked how the Chevy has a stubby little stick shift. I mean it is no short throw or anything, but it looks much shorter than the Elantra's. On the auto version of the Chevy, since it has a 6 speed auto, it felt like the thing was shifting all the fucking time. Literally it seems like it shifted into second gear the second after I hit the pedal. I would 100% most definitely by the manual Cruze if I would go that direction. The really funny thing is Hyundai had no manuals in stock, but Chevy could only find 1 auto in a sea of manual Cruzes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
I'm diggin the Kia Forte Koup and Hyundai Genesis Coupe.
Genesis is way out of my price range... but a nice ass car. Tried the Forte and Forte Koup. A copy cat of the civic famiy line. It reminded me of the Soul, very cheap looking on the inside uness you step up to the expensive top of the line model. Tons of bland grey plastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
Any differences (significant) on insurance for these 3? That might help make your decision.
Checked between Progressive and Geico. Im with Nationwide currently, but my agent hasnt called me back. All of the cars in my original top 5 were between $108-$120 every 2 months and in the $600 a year for full coverage. Far away the cheapest was the Soul at $96 every two months and $518 a year for full coverage. The most expensive was the Forte Koup.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Old 07-11-2011, 11:49 PM   #10
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

I spent a full week with a Chevy Cruze. I loved the steering, brakes, chassis, interior and exterior, but HATED the auto transmission.

I also rented a Kia Soul...pretty nice car, but kinda boring and a weak chassis and funky fueling.

Did you look at a VW Golf, Mazda 3 or Ford Fiesta?

The thing I don't like about the Kia/Hyundia vehicles is their lack of chassis/suspension refinement. I don't know about the Elantra, but the Sonata's suspension is kinda harsh and the vehicle doesn't handle all that well. They are more focused on looks then the driving excitement. Also, the Elantra was tested and only returned a real world 29mpg...a far cry from the 40 claimed.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote