Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #11
Cass
Cassolicious!

Moto: SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
My friend had hers out a few months ago. She got out of the hospital and it was a day or 2 later she was back driving to class giving her final presentation. She said her only thing that hurt were her shoulders since there was gas trapped in there trying to make its way out? I think it was the lack of caffeine from not drinking 12 diet cokes a day that got her more than anything.
That gas is some serious shit! They inflate your torso "the better to see you with, my dear", and can remove most of it.... but the rest has to come out naturally LOL If you can stay more horizontal than vertical, the gas won't build up in your shoulder. You will fart, it will be loud. But you're a guy, so you'll laugh and try to do it again
Old 07-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #12
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

my dad had his out a few y but ears ago laproscopically, he went back to work 2 days after the surgery (he is a warehouse manager, fairly physical job but he took it easy). He felt like shit and layed around all day when he wasnt at work, but he was able to work. I'd say take a week off
Old 07-07-2010, 07:02 PM   #13
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass View Post
You will fart, it will be loud. But you're a guy, so you'll laugh and try to do it again
Hell yeah....when you live with two women nothing proclaims "I'm KING of this castle!!" quite like a nice loud fart.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #14
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
Hell yeah....when you live with two women nothing proclaims "I'm KING of this castle!!" quite like a nice loud fart.
Silver lining FTW

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #15
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass View Post
Had mine out 5 yrs ago, laparoscopically. I was a lazy bum for 5 days (had surgery on Thursday, was back at work on Monday), had non-narcotic drugs, and no real issues. I went through chicken broth and frosted flakes for food in those first few days, and kept a small pillow handy for holding to my belly for sneezing/coughing/laughing etc for a week or 2. I didn't want any sort of pressure on my lower stomach, something like sweatpants or something with a loose waistband... and slip-on shoes will be your friends for a few days.
Not Gall Bladder, but I've had other Laparoscopic abdominal surgery, and yeah, that sounds right. I had some super-tylenol, but only took it the first day or two. Mainly to get me out of Balitmore- good god those roads suck!!. My head was a supernova of bright white light from bouncing through potholes. I about killed the dog the second day- sent him flying across the room with a backhand when he tried to jump on me. After that, I only took regular tylenol sparingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
No worries on that front...I don't take narcotics of any sort...I survived the broken hip on over the counter tylenol...I'll do just fine without the pain meds.
Excellent...this is what I was hoping to hear. I know, I know...girls are tougher than guys...it's no accident that it's up to women to bear children. Can you imagine how de-populated the world would be if it were up to men? Drop a 10 lb bowling bowl through THERE?! Are you fucking CRAZY?!
Even better....this is the same schedule I'll be shooting for....and the same non-narcotic approach to recovery.
Awesome..thanks everyone.
Just go slow. The first two days, it took ALL my strength and All my effort to sit down or to lie down in bed. It's not easy to do anything when your abs feel like they're going to tear open with every movement. I wish I'd thought to get a long Ace Bandage to wrap around my whole core. After the first two days, you won't be running anywhere, or lifting you're foot above 6", but you'll feel closer to human. Almost worse than anything was the fucking catheter... and I was still doped up when they yanked it. I refused to hit the button, but they had me on some anti-inflammatory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
My friend had hers out a few months ago. She got out of the hospital and it was a day or 2 later she was back driving to class giving her final presentation. She said her only thing that hurt were her shoulders since there was gas trapped in there trying to make its way out? I think it was the lack of caffeine from not drinking 12 diet cokes a day that got her more than anything.
Yup. They blow ya up like a damn balloon. I almost forgot about my shoulders, because my gut felt so violated- but they did more digging than a GB. GB's pretty simple- they slice it into little pieces and pull the pieces out one of two little holes. The shoulders do get a weird "pinched nerve" type feeling- like you've run several miles, or held them above your head for hours. It faded before the rest.

Last edited by Phenix_Rider; 07-08-2010 at 09:22 PM..
Phenix_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #16
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Everyone is different and everyone recovers at a different rate. YMMV.

I had mine removed back in '95. Dr. said I would probably be up and about in a couple of days. Bullshit. I was so freaking swollen and so sore I couldn't get out of bed on my own for a couple of days, much less be very mobile. It was about a week before I could actually function well enough to go back to work and probably a few weeks before I could do anything very active. The worst part was after the surgery, I had a drain tube coming out of my lower chest that fed into a bulb, for fluid collection. The doctor removed it after a few days, but it didn't come out easy - stuff was all congealed around where the hole for it was and it felt like I was getting stabbed when he had to yank it out. I was really sore for a few hours after that. I only have 3 or 4 tiny scars on my stomach since they did it via laproscopy (or whatever the Hell they call it.)

Good luck with your surgery; hopefully you will recover fast.

Last edited by LeeNetworX; 07-08-2010 at 09:40 PM..
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:48 PM   #17
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
Everyone is different and everyone recovers at a different rate. YMMV.

I had mine removed back in '95. Dr. said I would probably be up and about in a couple of days. Bullshit. I was so freaking swollen and so sore I couldn't get out of bed on my own for a couple of days, much less be very mobile. It was about a week before I could actually function well enough to go back to work and probably a few weeks before I could do anything very active. The worst part was after the surgery, I had a drain tube coming out of my lower chest that fed into a bulb, for fluid collection. The doctor removed it after a few days, but it didn't come out easy - stuff was all congealed around where the hole for it was and it felt like I was getting stabbed when he had to yank it out. I was really sore for a few hours after that. I only have 3 or 4 tiny scars on my stomach since they did it via laproscopy (or whatever the Hell they call it.)

Good luck with your surgery; hopefully you will recover fast.
Damn that sucks! But lap... is the best! If not for micro-surgery, they'd cut you open navel to diaphragm.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #18
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Surgery complete...at home resting..abs are wicked sore..but easily managed so far with tylenol.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:54 PM   #19
sherri_chickie
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: Gs500F

Glad to hear it went well! Speedy recovery.
sherri_chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:08 AM   #20
njchopper87
Bored

Moto: '01 Spirit 750

Here's to a fast recovery.
njchopper87 is offline   Reply With Quote