Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 04-12-2009, 10:58 PM   #1
Frostz28
Redneck

Moto: 2005 GSXR 750
Default 03 GSXR fan issues

Ok let me start off my saying I don't know anything about wrenching on my own bike. I know I should and I'm ashamed at my lack of knowledge but it is what it is. Ok on to my problem. I have recently come to the conclusion that my fan isn't working on my bike. I have seen my temp climb to 225 with no sign of the fan coming on. After talking to a few people I have realized that 200+ is to hot for my fan to not be on. Ive also been told that if it was coming on I would hear it. I can hear my buddies come on from 10 feet away with my lid on so I know it should be audible. So if Im correct and its not working what should I be looking for? Ive checked the fuse and its ok. So if its not the fuse is there any common issues I should be checking for? I haven't had her out much this year so she hasn't gotten very hot yet. Im gonna see if I can get the temp up tomarow and start investigating but i don't know where to start looking. It hasn't been a problem really because I rarely ride in traffic and while shes getting good air flow she runs plenty cool but I would still like to get her fixed. Like I said I don't really know my way around my bike but I do have a general knowledge of engines so Im not a complete idiot. (well my wife might disagree with that statement)

"Guys like me drink to many beers on Friday after work, our best blue jeans have skoal rings, we wear our boots to church"
Frostz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:04 PM   #2
Ninjakel
Post whorette

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600-

check your thermostat. Its screwed into the radiator.

My 03's fan comes on at 225.

--Ron Burgundy--
Anchorman
Ninjakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:11 PM   #3
Frostz28
Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakel View Post
My 03's fan comes on at 225.
Really? well thats good news ive only seen 225 once and I instantly shut if down and let it cool off. So maybe mine kicks on at like 226 or something and Its just never gotten hot enough to come on. Like I said I don't ride in traffic and usually when she starts warmin up (200 or hotter) we hit the back roads and get em cooled off. maybe I need to check the specs on it and see what the factory setting is for the fan. I was under the impression that if it was over 200 the fan would be on for sure. maybe I don't have a problem after all.

"Guys like me drink to many beers on Friday after work, our best blue jeans have skoal rings, we wear our boots to church"
Old 04-12-2009, 11:56 PM   #4
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

With the engine hot, the fan can come on any time. I always unplug mine when I work on my CBR. Maybe someone unplugged it and forgot to put it back. Or it could be corrosion. Pull off and put back on the wires leading from the fan to the temp sensor.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:41 AM   #5
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

My 06 Gix had it's fan coming on at like 220 or something like that and then it shut off when the temp reached 212.

To be sure you could just put around a parking lot or let it idle for a while after you have already warmed it up. If it gets too far past 225 without the fan shut her down and start checking stuff.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #6
Frostz28
Redneck

well with work and the weather around here it took awhile but I finally got the bike out for a good ride. it was 101 here today with a heat index of like 115 so the bike warmed up pretty quick, the good news is the fan does work and comes on at 226!

Old 07-01-2009, 05:07 PM   #7
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

Just for future ref. you can bypass the switch by grounding the wire on most bikes. This works for checking the fan and or installing a switch.
HRCNICK11 is offline   Reply With Quote