Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 09-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #21
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
I have "analogue" gauges. As in, they have needles instead of digital numbers. And it's run off of the tach.

I'm really curious now as to which are more common.
I know my 92 Zuk had a front wheel cable jobbie for the Speedo and I know my 2005 Buell does not.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:22 PM   #22
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
I have "analogue" gauges. As in, they have needles instead of digital numbers. And it's run off of the tach.

I'm really curious now as to which are more common.
Sorry, I meant analogue as in mechanical, instead of electronic. My 2001 Duc still had a front wheel drive speedo, as do a lot of cruisers and other "non-sport" bikes.

In terms of what's more commonly used today, my guess would be electronic. In terms of how many bikes on the street still have the front wheel drive units, I'm sure the number would have to outweigh the newer stuff by far.

JC
Old 09-18-2009, 06:02 PM   #23
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
Sorry, I meant analogue as in mechanical, instead of electronic. My 2001 Duc still had a front wheel drive speedo, as do a lot of cruisers and other "non-sport" bikes.

In terms of what's more commonly used today, my guess would be electronic. In terms of how many bikes on the street still have the front wheel drive units, I'm sure the number would have to outweigh the newer stuff by far.

JC

That we can definitely agree on. I wonder if it's because they already have ecu to control fuel and the like? It'd likely be a simple step to throw a speed algorithm in the programming, and voila, the computer tells your speed.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:02 PM   #24
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
That we can definitely agree on. I wonder if it's because they already have ecu to control fuel and the like? It'd likely be a simple step to throw a speed algorithm in the programming, and voila, the computer tells your speed.
Kinda like your car. It used to piss me off that they didn't have gear indicators on bike well after they were taking the speed from the drive. If the computer knows what gear you are in, why not tell you? Shit my '81 Seca 750 had a gear indicator, a gas gauge and self canceling signals (I think), I know I had 80s bikes with those features anyway!(GS450, GS750,Maxim, Maxim X, Seca 750, V-Max) When I traded in my '88 V-Max for my '95 FZR1000, I was like, "Hey where are all the goodies?!?"
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #25
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Yeah, that's no doubt part of it. Other reasons would be "bells and whistles", less maintenance, and to a certain degree, at least on sport-bikes, some weight savings.

Personally, I dislike digital dash components. They're too difficult to read in static light conditions, and they have a lot a crap like gear position indicators, I just don't need or want. Then again, I never look at my speedo unless I see a cop.

JC
Old 09-18-2009, 07:24 PM   #26
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

My SV650 had one of those front-wheel speed sensors, and it was a piece of shit. It was a ghey little plastic bearing that needed to be replaced twice.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:22 PM   #27
RedRider2k2
Holier Than Thou

Moto: 06 ZX10R, 18 400 Ninja, 11 KLX250s

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
If the computer knows what gear you are in, why not tell you?
I dont even think the computer knows. Your speed is measured by the rotation of the transmission output shaft. The same way an ABS computer reads A/C sine waves from wheel speed sensors.
RedRider2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote