Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R
Default Gall bladder failure FTMFL :/

So...I've been having some fairly intense pain in my abdomen and upper right shoulder after eating lately...I HATE going to the doctor...it usually takes a motorcycle crash or something to get me in there. (Fortunately, there's only been one of those and I got off relatively easy....broken right hip socket that I fully recovered from.)

Anyway...I went to the doctor and described my symptoms as I just couldn't eat anymore...ANYTHING I ate would set it off...got a hydascan...and it came back saying that my gall bladder ejection fraction was 4%...essentially a dead, non functioning organ.

I just left the surgeons office...he's going to remove it tomorrow at 2. He said he usually recommends a two week recovery time and I was like, seriously?! Two weeks?! I was planning to have it done tomorrow and be back to work on Monday.

Have any of you had it done? If so, how long was your recovery period afterwards?

KSG
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
AquaPython
put it THIS way

ouch - good luck.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

All I can suggest is take as little pain meds as possible after. Just take them when it's absolutely necessary. Getting backed up is not a pleasant experience with this type of operation.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
sherri_chickie
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: Gs500F

I had mine out last summer and was making muffins that evening after I got home from surgery. I was sore but nothing horrible. I ended up getting an infection of some sort, they never did find exactly where it was, and ended up back in the hospital, but the surgery part of the recovery was not bad at all. Take a week though.
sherri_chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
Cass
Cassolicious!

Moto: SV

Had mine out 5 yrs ago, laparoscopically. I was a lazy bum for 5 days (had surgery on Thursday, was back at work on Monday), had non-narcotic drugs, and no real issues. I went through chicken broth and frosted flakes for food in those first few days, and kept a small pillow handy for holding to my belly for sneezing/coughing/laughing etc for a week or 2. I didn't want any sort of pressure on my lower stomach, something like sweatpants or something with a loose waistband... and slip-on shoes will be your friends for a few days.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #6
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
All I can suggest is take as little pain meds as possible after.
No worries on that front...I don't take narcotics of any sort...I survived the broken hip on over the counter tylenol...I'll do just fine without the pain meds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherri_chickie View Post
I had mine out last summer and was making muffins that evening after I got home from surgery. I was sore but nothing horrible.
Excellent...this is what I was hoping to hear. I know, I know...girls are tougher than guys...it's no accident that it's up to women to bear children. Can you imagine how de-populated the world would be if it were up to men? Drop a 10 lb bowling bowl through THERE?! Are you fucking CRAZY?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass View Post
Had mine out 5 yrs ago, laparoscopically. I was a lazy bum for 5 days (had surgery on Thursday, was back at work on Monday), had non-narcotic drugs, and no real issues....slip-on shoes will be your friends for a few days.
Even better....this is the same schedule I'll be shooting for....and the same non-narcotic approach to recovery.

Awesome..thanks everyone.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:14 PM   #7
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

My friend had hers out a few months ago. She got out of the hospital and it was a day or 2 later she was back driving to class giving her final presentation. She said her only thing that hurt were her shoulders since there was gas trapped in there trying to make its way out? I think it was the lack of caffeine from not drinking 12 diet cokes a day that got her more than anything.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

I read this as saying girl bladder failure I'll step back out now
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

That sucks dude, hope all goes well!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #10
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
I think it was the lack of caffeine from not drinking 12 diet cokes a day that got her more than anything.
I'd be totally screwed

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote