Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 01-10-2011, 01:50 PM   #31
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja
Default Keep it!

See, that's what key. You need an old car. That little piece of paper (your title) is your ticket to a big, powerful, EPA insulting motor, that goes like stink.

You just have to pick a rebuildable that has great aftermarket access to parts.

Chevelles, Camaros, Mustangs, and Vettes all have an aftermarket that lets you essentially build an entirely new car...you just need that all-important piece of paper.

If you already have a Cherry 240, save it! ...And use that wonderful old title as a ticket to get you a nice mouse motor shoehorned into it. It's a good fit, from what I understand.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #32
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
See, that's what key. You need an old car. That little piece of paper (your title) is your ticket to a big, powerful, EPA insulting motor, that goes like stink.

You just have to pick a rebuildable that has great aftermarket access to parts.

Chevelles, Camaros, Mustangs, and Vettes all have an aftermarket that lets you essentially build an entirely new car...you just need that all-important piece of paper.

If you already have a Cherry 240, save it! ...And use that wonderful old title as a ticket to get you a nice mouse motor shoehorned into it. It's a good fit, from what I understand.
Well that was the original plan, problem was when I got it home and had a chance to really go through it the thing was so cherry id feel bad putting a wrench to it. Id almost rather flip it and find some cheap and expendable shell to mess with.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #33
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Aftermarket for those isn't that good, but if you sold the drivetrain to someone else restoring one, it might very well help to pay for a new mouse, trans, and rear.

With some careful shopping, and doing most of the work yourself, you could build that Z into a V8 monster for under 10.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #34
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:
I'm only not nuts about this one because someone has put flares on it, and that means I would have to do bodywork. I'd rather build an entire car and engine than do bodywork.

Pics as I get 'em.
there you go!!! it's already on it's way to Corvette Summer heroism.

i couldn't resist.

agree about bodywork like that, especially considering the winner who put them on probably didn't do it right in some way. amazing what you can find when you have to undo someone elses work.

completely agree with this car being slower but oh so much better then your newer vette.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #35
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Aftermarket for those isn't that good, but if you sold the drivetrain to someone else restoring one, it might very well help to pay for a new mouse, trans, and rear.

With some careful shopping, and doing most of the work yourself, you could build that Z into a V8 monster for under 10.
Tbh I hate the idea of a mouse in it. Rb25det looks and sounds tits though. And I have a lot of the extras needed for turbos
Old 01-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #36
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

I dunno...I know it ain't stock, and it's a hack, but it's a fair hack, IMHO.

Why? Because you'd have to make that other motor pretty hysterical in order to achieve the same power you could make with a 100% stock mouse, that would be 100% more reliable.

It all depends if you want a daily driver or not.

A properly restored 240Z would largely be just a ornament.

Besides, sticking hair dryers all over it doesn't exactly warm the hearts of a restorer, and isn't really being faithful to anything...unless than if you save the stock drivetrain for later re-use, if you want to return it to authentic (something harder to do if you were to convert it to V8).
Old 01-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #37
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
I dunno...I know it ain't stock, and it's a hack, but it's a fair hack, IMHO.

Why? Because you'd have to make that other motor pretty hysterical in order to achieve the same power you could make with a 100% stock mouse, that would be 100% more reliable.

It all depends if you want a daily driver or not.

A properly restored 240Z would largely be just a ornament.

Besides, sticking hair dryers all over it doesn't exactly warm the hearts of a restorer, and isn't really being faithful to anything...unless than if you save the stock drivetrain for later re-use, if you want to return it to authentic (something harder to do if you were to convert it to V8).
You should google the rb family of engines. What I'm talking about has nothing in common with the stock l24 other than layout. You love the car because it reminds you of a vette, I love it because it reminds me of the 2000gt and therefore nothing but an i6 would be right to me

As for the hairdryer bit, you're aware there was a turbo version of the 280z right? The heads didn't change between the L's of those years. Would be very reverseable if that were what I was interested in

Last edited by Dave; 01-10-2011 at 02:58 PM..
Old 01-16-2011, 06:52 PM   #38
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Quote:

It's a 1969 coupe,

The car comes with the all the pickings from a stripped 1970 parts car, so I have doubles of almost everything.

That's the good news.

The bad?

It's in about 3500 pieces, and *I* didn't take it apart.

This is gonna be fun. Thank goodness for all the online Vette step-by-step instructionals. I'll need them for sure...
I just remembered another important thing. Before you start putting the engine compartment or interior in, replace the heater core.

Better yet, pressure check the NEW heater core and then put it in. It's a major league pain in the ass with an assembled car but not too bad when you have some room.

( I'm rebuilding the engine in my '77 towards spring and this was part of my " to do " list )
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:20 PM   #39
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Ugh, I finally got to see the other Vette. The guy isn't as much of a crackhead as I imagined, he's actually a super nice dude, but his secretary is handling his listings, and he's just the busiest man I ever met.

Here's the quandary: One is a runner, needs an interior, paint, a new windshield, and tuning of the motor (freshen Holley, ignition). Matching numbers car. Has a small block in it. Problem is, it has no air (I'd have to get a vintage air kit), and someone flared the car (I'd have to put 4 new fenders on it)...that's two grand right there, on just those two details. It also doesn't have power brakes.

The other is a basket case, but the body is near perfect (urethane primer, needs a fresh prime, block sand, and top coat). It's a fully optioned car. It is set up for a small block, and comes with a rat motor along with the deal. It's also another $500 more, but comes with almost an entire car's worth of spares.

Decisions, decisions...
Old 01-16-2011, 07:47 PM   #40
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Ugh, I finally got to see the other Vette. The guy isn't as much of a crackhead as I imagined, he's actually a super nice dude, but his secretary is handling his listings, and he's just the busiest man I ever met.

Here's the quandary: One is a runner, needs an interior, paint, a new windshield, and tuning of the motor (freshen Holley, ignition). Matching numbers car. Has a small block in it. Problem is, it has no air (I'd have to get a vintage air kit), and someone flared the car (I'd have to put 4 new fenders on it)...that's two grand right there, on just those two details. It also doesn't have power brakes.

The other is a basket case, but the body is near perfect (urethane primer, needs a fresh prime, block sand, and top coat). It's a fully optioned car. It is set up for a small block, and comes with a rat motor along with the deal. It's also another $500 more, but comes with almost an entire car's worth of spares.

Decisions, decisions...
How is the powertrain on the basket case? What will it need to get it running?

Off the top of my head from your description, the small block runner seems like the obvious choice.

But depending on how much work the other car needs to get it up to speed, it sounds like it might be worth it.