Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 11-05-2008, 10:28 AM   #1
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition
Default Bike advice needed!

OK we talk alot of smack but this is serious. How long is a chain suppose to last? I am terrible about keeping it oiled and last night as i pull in, I shut the bike off and push it into the garage listening to a crazy bad noise. I gave it a quick visual and nothing seemed wrong but the marbles in a soup can sound wouldn't go away. It hadn't rode any differently?

I pull the rear tire and check the wheel bearings, fine, the sprocket carrier bearings, fine, sprocket is worn but I have seen worse. Pulled the front sprocket cover and the front sprocket seems ok, no slack in it at all and it spins freely and quietly so I guess the tranny output shaft bearing and tranny itself are ok. That leaves only the chain which was to hot to touch and had a noticeable stiff length (no joking around here guys) in it.

I think I have 10,000 miles on the thing as I replaced the OEM one when I had the 14000 mile service done and I am at 24,000 miles now...

Shed some light will ya

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
OK we talk alot of smack but this is serious. How long is a chain suppose to last? I am terrible about keeping it oiled and last night as i pull in, I shut the bike off and push it into the garage listening to a crazy bad noise. I gave it a quick visual and nothing seemed wrong but the marbles in a soup can sound wouldn't go away. It hadn't rode any differently?

I pull the rear tire and check the wheel bearings, fine, the sprocket carrier bearings, fine, sprocket is worn but I have seen worse. Pulled the front sprocket cover and the front sprocket seems ok, no slack in it at all and it spins freely and quietly so I guess the tranny output shaft bearing and tranny itself are ok. That leaves only the chain which was to hot to touch and had a noticeable stiff length (no joking around here guys) in it.

I think I have 10,000 miles on the thing as I replaced the OEM one when I had the 14000 mile service done and I am at 24,000 miles now...

Shed some light will ya
With proper maintenance they should last 10k no problem. as far as the noise goes try and describe it better.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:35 AM   #3
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

How hard do you ride it? It could easily be worn out by now? But...possibly the chain is in need of adjustment?

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:55 AM   #4
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

If you haven't kept it oiled then it's probably sticking. Try cleaning and oiling the chain and see if that helps. 10k miles is within the normal life-span of a properly maintained chain, but if you haven't done proper maintainence then that one may be toast.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:46 AM   #5
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Well I don't lube it as often as I should or at least as recommened...Probably supposed to every 5-600 miles right...Well between washes, rains storms, ect I supppose it gets it every 1000 to 1200 miles...I have noticed it was not staying well adjusted too. I had recently tightened it and adjusted it 2-3 times cause I couldn't get it just right...That was when I decided the rear sprocket had to be replaced.

The noise sounded like a bearing gone bad. Kind of a marbly grinding noise...The first thing I thought was that the chain had loosened up and was hitting the front cover, upon seeing that is was still tight I thought immediately wheel bearing, but all the bearings appear fine. I didn't get around to reassembling it but will certainly soak the chain and see if it loosens up..

Arkriders.com
Old 11-05-2008, 12:07 PM   #6
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

your chain was hot to the touch? sounds like your chain is fucked. replace, and LUBE IT REGULARLY SLACKER!
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:25 PM   #7
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Yeah I am shopping even now...

Arkriders.com
Old 11-05-2008, 12:29 PM   #8
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBiker View Post
your chain was hot to the touch? sounds like your chain is fucked. replace, and LUBE IT REGULARLY SLACKER!
That's what I was thinking. Make sure your sprockets are in good order, as when changing a chain it's the perfect time to change those as well.

I saw you typed *marbles in a soup can* and needed to double check if you had a dry clutch or not

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:20 PM   #9
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Lordy no, had I been on a dry clutch Duc i woulda never known, TeeHee! (jealous laughter)

Arkriders.com
Old 11-05-2008, 01:46 PM   #10
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

Well, my simple summary for you is this. when you hear a noise like you're hearing, your chain gets HOT to the touch, and has tight spots, its fucked. there is no fix besides a new chain. this is why you MUST keep up with the maintenance stuff and lube your chain more often than not. Alternately, run an RK 530. I run one on my Hurricane, and it gets merciless abuse, barely see any stretching, and so far I've never had to adjust it since I installed.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote