Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 11-07-2008, 12:50 AM   #1
PiZdETS
⎷⎛⎝ ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ ⎷⎛⎝

Moto: ⎷⎛⎝ ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ ⎷⎛⎝
Default MotoGP Electronic Gadgetry

Electronic Engine management that's real-time GPS controlled for each corner. Nice.
article
full interviews of the teams
Quote:
Electronics Industry news site, EETimes.com, has run an article on the use of electronics in MotoGP, featuring information gathered from interviews with technical personnel from three different MotoGP teams during July's US Grand Prix at Laguna Seca.

Those interviewed were EFI technician Andrea Dosoli (Kawasaki), data engineer Andrew Griffith (Yamaha) and crew chief Tom O'Kane (Suzuki). Unfortunately, there was no information for Honda and Ducati.

Here is a brief summary of the findings:
Kawasaki:

Kawasaki was using a 'half-and-half' fly-by-wire system - traditional throttle cables control half of the throttle bodies with electronic systems operating the other half. This was done to help rider feel.

Kawasaki was not yet using GPS to provide real-time location-based engine management (it is rumoured that Ducati, for example, already does) however the introduction of such a system was "fairly imminent". Location-based engine management allows the electronics to be tuned to suit each individual corner on a track.

There are about 50 sensors on the ZX-RR but the most important ones are those that measure acceleration, lean angle, front wheel speed, GPS speed and front-wheel suspension stroke.

The electronics identify a loss of rear wheel grip (potential highside) by comparing "front- and rear-wheel speeds with GPS-speed and engine rev-up".

Yamaha:

Yamaha was using a full fly-by-wire system. Throttle cables were still present, but existed only "to provide the rider [with] a conventional [throttle] feel" rather than to directly control the engine.

Yamaha used GPS for on-board data-tagging, but was also not yet using GPS to provide real-time location-based engine management, due to "the tenuous nature of GPS". However, Griffith admitted (with a smile) that the development of a position-based, real-time control system was "one possible direction" for the team.

Suzuki:

Suzuki, like Kawasaki, also uses a 'half-and-half' fly-by-wire system "to retain a conventional throttle feel and give the rider a strong sense of connection to the machine".

When discussing real-time location-based engine management, and the problem of accurately locating the motorcycle on the race track, O'Kane stated that "transponders around the track could be combined with time-distance interpolation to figure out bike location".

The ECU aims to "counters fluctuations of the engine power curve to deliver linear and predictable response for maximum pilot confidence" but must also allow riders to get the limited amount of rear wheel sliding they need.
I think it's a cool concept but it will probably get banned eventually. We watch MotoGP to see a rider ride a bike, not a rider sit on a bike controlled by satellite overlords and joysticks in the teams trailer.

Last edited by PiZdETS; 11-07-2008 at 12:55 AM..
PiZdETS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:47 AM   #2
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Yup Yup! Came over from Formula One Auto Racing. At one point the cars aero package, suspension settings, traction and engine management systems were all interconnected, GPS enabled for each corner/straight , and fully configurable from the cockpit and the engineers in the pits...

If you ask me taking the race itself and driving duties away from the soft grey matter in the head of the operator makes it alot less enjoyable or thrilling to watch. Granted the performance was unmatched but the competition and spectating left me limp.

F1 has moved away frm that now and it is better to watch by far. I don't like bike racing even thinking about that route. I know it has been there and who pioneered it, ahem Burgess/Rossi, but I won't point fingers or try and take anything away from them...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:00 PM   #3
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

I'm dying to know... what were the Yamaha's throttle cables attached to?
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:10 PM   #4
r!der
snowboarder

Moto: 05 GSXR 600

All that fancy shit just takes away from it and makes it more boring for the viewers and even the riders(from what I read).

Safety comes first tho, so I'm sure it's here to stay.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:40 PM   #5
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

it is was all for the entertainment factor, they would all be on 500cc 2 strokes

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
jeeps84
No longer MIA

Moto: 1987 GSXR 50, 1996 Ducati M900, 07 GSXR 750, 07 Harley Davidson Night Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
it is was all for the entertainment factor, they would all be on 500cc 2 strokes