Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 11-07-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
m0n1
Street Stunter

Moto: 07 R1
Default Need Help Please.

Yesterday, i let the clutch out and stalled the bike. my fault. put it in neutral, flipped the cutoff switch off then back on, start, nothing. take key out, and start from begining. key to on, (i dont hear the sounds i usually do) lights/indicators come on, but still nothing. 1/2 mile from work, so coworker shows up and helps move me to a gastation parking lot where whe connect the jumper cables to the battery and let it sit. (i have never jump started a bike, but i knew not to have the cars engine on.) still nothing. finally we decide to push start it and it starts right up. get it to work, finish my day, try to start the bike and it starts right up.

07 r1- flush mount and CA taillight are the only electrical mods done to the bike a long while back. factory battery, and i use a bat. tender when i know i wont be riding for a couple of days.

first thing to do this weekend is to get a volt meter (Thanks GM, we do listen)but can anyone tell me what i should be looking for? checking?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war." –Douglas MacArthur
“Our job as citizens also includes backing our president when he makes a decision, whether we like that decision or not,"- Damion Maynard
m0n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:28 PM   #2
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0n1 View Post
Yesterday, i let the clutch out and stalled the bike. my fault. put it in neutral, flipped the cutoff switch off then back on, start, nothing. take key out, and start from begining. key to on, (i dont hear the sounds i usually do) lights/indicators come on, but still nothing. 1/2 mile from work, so coworker shows up and helps move me to a gastation parking lot where whe connect the jumper cables to the battery and let it sit. (i have never jump started a bike, but i knew not to have the cars engine on.) still nothing. finally we decide to push start it and it starts right up. get it to work, finish my day, try to start the bike and it starts right up.

07 r1- flush mount and CA taillight are the only electrical mods done to the bike a long while back. factory battery, and i use a bat. tender when i know i wont be riding for a couple of days.

first thing to do this weekend is to get a volt meter (Thanks GM, we do listen)but can anyone tell me what i should be looking for? checking?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Not trying to postwhore I swear, but if your lights and indicators came on fine, I dont think it would be an issue with the battery being bad.

I killed mine a few weeks ago and got nothing, no response at all...had to let her sit on the tender a long time but managed to get the battery charged...she works and I got a spare in case...

have you had any issues with her starting back up since then?

I know ive stalled before and it took a minute to restart but its not a constant thing...
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:29 PM   #3
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Kickstand switch? Clutch in switch? Some have the switch that won't let it start won't start without the clutch in...Test light and maybe you can google up the wiring schematics...Could check for in line blow fuses in the wiring harness...Good luck!

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
t-homo
WSB Champion

Another thing is to never jump start a bike from a car.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:57 PM   #5
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
They Say that...But if I had no choice I'd Do it...Just make sure it was as quickly done as possible.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

I wont jumpstart my CBR unless the battery is COMPLETELY dead. then I'll try to find somewhere with a trickle charger instead. otherwise, BUMP START.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:50 PM   #7
r!der
snowboarder

Moto: 05 GSXR 600

I've jump started my bike with a car a bunch of times.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:53 PM   #8
r!der
snowboarder

Moto: 05 GSXR 600

Just don't do it like this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi6N5...d=60854&page=1
Old 11-07-2008, 09:07 PM   #9
m0n1
Street Stunter

Moto: 07 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post

have you had any issues with her starting back up since then?

I know ive stalled before and it took a minute to restart but its not a constant thing...
Tried about an hour and a half after I got home, it started.
Just tried it again and it didn’t start. It cranked twice and then all I heard was fast tick sound coming from under the seat and all the indicator lights dimming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
Kickstand switch? Clutch in switch? Some have the switch that won't let it start won't start without the clutch in...Test light and maybe you can google up the wiring schematics...Could check for in line blow fuses in the wiring harness...Good luck!
in the parking lot, I was in neutral, clutch in and kickstand up. This was after about 30 mins of waiting on the side of the road.

Normally the bike would start in neutral with stand down and clutch out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
I hear ya. I have the deltran jr. and it came with the alligator clips. Plugged one end to the connector and used the clips on the car battery. Made sure the car was off.

Thanks everyone, running the charger to it now. Tomorrow I’m taking the battery to get tested.

"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war." –Douglas MacArthur
“Our job as citizens also includes backing our president when he makes a decision, whether we like that decision or not,"- Damion Maynard
m0n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:08 PM   #10
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Smileyman hit the likely culprits. Definitely check the connections at the clutch switch. Unplug it and plug it back in to see if that helps. I'm thinking a bad sidestand switch would probably prevent the push start, too, but it can't hurt to check that connection.

When you get the meter, find the starter relay and see if you get power to it when you press the start button. If not, it could be a bad start switch. If you get power to the relay, but no power past it, it's a bad relay. If the power's getting to the starter, but nothing happens, it's a bad starter. If you're lucky, the solenoid is replaceable separately. If you're unlucky (like my dad), you gotta replace the starter.

If you don't want to bother with the testing, just throw a starter relay in there and see if it helps. They're pretty cheap.

Edit: Never mind the switches then... If it's not the battery, it's still worth checking the relay. They can do some freaky stuff when they're going bad.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote