Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 07-17-2009, 09:54 AM   #11
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

I never reused crush washers on oil drain plugs. Just not worth it. There were like 50 cents when I had the Zuk. The oil drain plug on the Buell has a rubber o-ring. I did NOT replace that last time.

As for brake washers...couldn't tell ya. Never had to deal with it. The only brake surgery I've done is installing SS lines with my buddy. His kit came with new washers.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:13 PM   #12
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Do you mean the copper washers?

Can re-use, as long as it looks good. You can buy new ones at the auto store.

You can also retemper them by hitting them with a torch. Can't remember why but it does something to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I'd replace them. It's just a washer, cheap and easy.
For banjo bolts in brake systems they aren't just regular washers. They are copper. Regular washer would leak like a siv.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:23 PM   #13
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post

You can also retemper them by hitting them with a torch. Can't remember why but it does something to them.

For banjo bolts in brake systems they aren't just regular washers. They are copper. Regular washer would leak like a siv.

Now that's the definitive answer gentlemen! Oh and I've reused them and I'm on the 4th oil change with my drain plug washer as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaTree View Post
Copper brake line 'banjo bolt' washers(*) - NO

Metal drain/fill plug washers(*) - NO

(*) The only permissible exception to this is when you're on the road, have an "issue" (e.g. accident) and need to effect emergency repairs to get to a repair facility or home.

Any questions?
I bet you're one of those guys that throw away a brand new tire if you get a nail in it....
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:11 PM   #14
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I bet you're one of those guys that throw away a brand new tire if you get a nail in it....
I've got a stack of rear tires about 6 foot tall from people like that. most of them still have nipples on them.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:31 PM   #15
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed View Post
I've got a stack of rear tires about 6 foot tall from people like that. most of them still have nipples on them.
Yea I have a buddy like that, he also works at a dealership. I'll never get that. People think that you can't patch a motorcycle tire.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:38 PM   #16
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

Quote:
Yea I have a buddy like that, he also works at a dealership. I'll never get that. People think that you can't patch a motorcycle tire.
as far as I know, it's hard to find a shop that will patch a SB tire. hell, some won't even patch a cruiser tire that has a tube.

it used to be "common" knowledge that you don't plug a SB tire because of the speeds they can hit, cornering forces.

I don't know how long those plug patches have been out but that's what I use and won't use anything else given the chance. if stuck out somewhere that I couldn't get one installed I'd use a rope plug but I'd rather have the plug patch.

I've been well over 100mph on both plug patch and a cord patch with no problems.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:48 AM   #17
JoshuaTree
DILLIGAF?

Location: Austin, Texas, USA, Earth, Sol, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way
Moto: 1993 K75SA
Talking

Quote:
... I bet you're one of those guys that throw away a brand new tire if you get a nail in it....

No, as a matter of fact, I don't.

I am a guy who has rebuilt three motorcycles, one down to splitting the cases and installing new main and con-rod bearings. I do hold several certifications from BMW Motorrad (worked at a shop for a while, a while ago), and have worked on my own vehicles since I was able to drive (legally).

In the matter of brake line crush washers - ask yourself a simple question: Is it worth injury or death (to say nothing of resulting damage to your bike) to have brake system failure for the want and use of $0.10-0.65 parts? You've just spent $50-250 on new brake lines, bought new race-spec brake fluid (or just generic DOT whatever), can you really say that you couldn't find the money for new sealing washers for the banjo bolt fittings? Really?

Motorcycle shops don't patch tires anymore due to liability issues, not real technical function issues. Some techs just hate the job in general anyways.

Relating to oil drain/fill plugs' sealing rings/washers, if you don't mind an occasional leak / total oil loss from your engines (i.e. when the sealing ring fails and the drain plug vibrates out as a result), and really want to save that $0.25-1.00 per oil change, go right ahead.

I'd bet that there isn't a single motorcyclist that can't manage to allocate their discretionary spending such that they can always afford new sealing rings/washers for their maintenance.

Then again, WTF do I know about maintenance anyways...
JoshuaTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:20 AM   #18
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post

Copper works hardens when tightened. Heating them with a torch and allowing to slowly cool ( do NOT quench ) makes them soft again.

Jeff
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:02 AM   #19
was92v
Nowhere Man

Like many things we do or don't do, it is up to the person doing the work, especially on his or her own bike to make the decision. If you have new washers there and feel the need to replace them, then by all means do it. Would I let not having new ones in my garage on Friday night keep me from finishing a job and going riding or racing for the weekend? Put everything on hold until I can get to a bike shop and order the correct washers, nope, but again that is just me. Our own experiences usually dictate how we react to these things and it is neither right or wrong. The first shop manager that I worked for summed it up nicely. He said, during a conversation similar to this, "There are always at least 4 ways to do something, your way, my way, the right way and the wrong way". The phrase is much more accurate than it seems.

Our own experience determines how we feel about this type of question or in the absence of that, what we have read, or been told by someone whos opinion we respect.
Or we have a situation arise that forces us to change our opinion.

As far a experience, I have mine and you have yours. I have ridden for 41 years and messed up some stuff.
I am (was) a certified MC mechanic with a degree from AMI
which is now Wyotech in Daytona. Worked as a mechanic in a Kawasaki shop and for a while in a Yamaha shop. Did a short stint as a shop manager for a Kaw shop, built 8 or 10 bikes from the bare frame up, built, maintained and rode drag bikes for 3 years, built, tuned,maintained and rode roadrace bikes for 5 years and have always done all my own maintenance on all of my street bikes and I reuse them.
In the past 41 years, I have had exactly zero failures of copper sealing washers, so my experience says to me, if it looks good, it is. Yours may say something else. Go with what you know until you need to change. Very few things in this world are really YES-NO or BLACK-WHITE. When you think about it carefully, almost everything is MAYBE-GRAY.
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:56 AM   #20
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by was92v View Post
Like many things we do or don't do, it is up to the person doing the work, especially on his or her own bike to make the decision. If you have new washers there and feel the need to replace them, then by all means do it. Would I let not having new ones in my garage on Friday night keep me from finishing a job and going riding or racing for the weekend? Put everything on hold until I can get to a bike shop and order the correct washers, nope, but again that is just me. Our own experiences usually dictate how we react to these things and it is neither right or wrong. The first shop manager that I worked for summed it up nicely. He said, during a conversation similar to this, "There are always at least 4 ways to do something, your way, my way, the right way and the wrong way". The phrase is much more accurate than it seems.

Our own experience determines how we feel about this type of question or in the absence of that, what we have read, or been told by someone whos opinion we respect.
Or we have a situation arise that forces us to change our opinion.

As far a experience, I have mine and you have yours. I have ridden for 41 years and messed up some stuff.
I am (was) a certified MC mechanic with a degree from AMI
which is now Wyotech in Daytona. Worked as a mechanic in a Kawasaki shop and for a while in a Yamaha shop. Did a short stint as a shop manager for a Kaw shop, built 8 or 10 bikes from the bare frame up, built, maintained and rode drag bikes for 3 years, built, tuned,maintained and rode roadrace bikes for 5 years and have always done all my own maintenance on all of my street bikes and I reuse them.
In the past 41 years, I have had exactly zero failures of copper sealing washers, so my experience says to me, if it looks good, it is. Yours may say something else. Go with what you know until you need to change. Very few things in this world are really YES-NO or BLACK-WHITE. When you think about it carefully, almost everything is MAYBE-GRAY.
I agree, I've always done my own maintenance work (over 30 years of riding-street, dirt and a little track) and I have never had a catastrophic failure such as JT seems to fear. I don't understand what they think will happen? I mean this "the drain plug will vibrate out" nonsense is ridiculous IMHO. The worst that can happen is a leak. Now I do swap out parts when I do maintenance but I'm with you, if I don't have it I'm still going riding.

I also don't understand the "my way is the only right way attitude" and if you don't do things the way I do them, you are an idiot. Btw I don't have as lofty of experiences as you guys but I did work the pit in an oil change location for a number of years and we didn't replace the drain plug washers unless they were bad. None of the o.c. places do to my knowledge. We never had a failure of the type that he described. I think a lot of people lose sight of the fact that a motorcycle isn't really all that different from any other vehicle. In fact, in a lot of ways motorcycles have much less stress put on their components due to their lack of weight, etc.