Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Manufacturer War

Old 12-04-2009, 05:23 PM   #41
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I don't see metric cruiser dealers offering guaranteed full sale price on trade in value after 2 years like HD does. I'm not sure if that policy spans the entire product line but is does for sure on the Sportster.
And what if they try to trade their Sporster in for........another Sportster? Think they'd still allow it? They are just hoping you'll upgrade.

And I wonder if the fine print says you have to pay full MSRP on whatever the new bike is...
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:39 PM   #42
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post

And I wonder if the fine print says you have to pay full MSRP on whatever the new bike is...
Theres no fine print. You buy a harley, your paying MSRP. Financed, cash, doesnt matter. One price. In Canada at least. Its some kind of no compete clause for dealerships that HD has. Which is utter bullshit.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:46 PM   #43
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
Just the baby sporty I'm pretty sure. It's a ploy to get people back to buy the 2nd bike.
Both bikes will be sold at full MSRP as well...
Quote:
And what if they try to trade their Sporster in for........another Sportster? Think they'd still allow it? They are just hoping you'll upgrade.

I did this deal. Here's what it is. You buy any new sporty. You can trade it in anytime up to 2 yrs later. It must be traded in on any large v-twin (read Twin cam)/ any non sporty bike. You then get full MSRP for trade in value. You basically just owned the bike for 2 yrs for nothing more than tax, gas, oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
My harley is as good, if not better, than any Japanese cruiser on the market. And, much, much nicer to look at.
Well I work on and ride with and have rode many jap cruisers. They are fine. They do what they do at their cost well. But I will tell ya. You pay more for a HD for many reasons. The bike is simply better in so many ways. Especially when you start working on them. The HD also has more power. My wife's 883 could easily out run a Honda 1300 and a rejetted Honda 1100.

The problem with this entire thread is that you have a bunch of riders that don't ride cruisers and really don't work on them. You can't compare a sportbike or dual sport to this segment of riding.

Bottom line. You get what you pay for.

The lincoln is better than the chevy
The cadillac is better than the ford
Mercury is similar to buick

Don't bitch about the price of the lincoln because you can buy a chevy that will also drive down the road. There is a reason why the lincoln is more money.

But I wouldn't know anything about it. I never work on bikes. I haven't rode most brands and styles.

Plus its only my $0.02. It's not yours.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:16 AM   #44
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post

Actually next time I meet you, I'm gonna kick you in the shin and steal your $0.02 and I will make it my own.

Really its not a bad deal that HD is giving on the sporty trade up. As a whole company I really think that they have marketed themselfs correctly over the last few decades and really designed their image as THE american motorcycle company, they really forced every one else to copy them and try and play catchup. The buell aquisition should have been a great move into the sportbike market if the dealer network would have embrased it fully. I just really have a problem with the people that try to be hard asses 1%rs but in the end of the day it is just a reason for them to get through their mid life crisis, just be yourself and enjoy life.

Anyway, the real point is that I'm gonna kick you in the shin and reach in your pocket and steal two pennies from you.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:49 AM   #45
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Actually next time I meet you, I'm gonna kick you in the shin and steal your $0.02 and I will make it my own.

Really its not a bad deal that HD is giving on the sporty trade up. As a whole company I really think that they have marketed themselfs correctly over the last few decades and really designed their image as THE american motorcycle company, they really forced every one else to copy them and try and play catchup. The buell aquisition should have been a great move into the sportbike market if the dealer network would have embrased it fully. I just really have a problem with the people that try to be hard asses 1%rs but in the end of the day it is just a reason for them to get through their mid life crisis, just be yourself and enjoy life.

Anyway, the real point is that I'm gonna kick you in the shin and reach in your pocket and steal two pennies from you.
insert semetic joke here:
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:20 AM   #46
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
insert semetic joke here:
careful.......joking about Jews means that you hate them and are a Holocaust denier
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:23 AM   #47
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
careful.......joking about Jews means that you hate them and are a Holocaust denier
Yes dave is a Nazi
Old 12-05-2009, 04:33 AM   #48
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Derf u are correct. Even though victory is just as american made they don't get the same attn for being american made. Of coarse they probably don't spend $$$ to ensure that either. Understanding that hd probably spends more in advertisement than most companies have in their entire budget. Lol

I'm really thought. Everybody here, besides Marko, raise ur hand if you have been following the york,pa hd factory talks? They are cutting nearly half their jobs there for a projected $100M cost savings. Smart finacial move. Do I agree with any job cuts? Hell no. However, do I agree with them doing what needs to be done to ensure 2 priorities? 1. Staying in biz. 2. Keeping that production here vs overseas.

Do they have to tighten the purse strings to survive the recession? Sure. What biz hasn't? Will they fold? As soon as pigs fly thru a frozen hell. I mean shit. Even IF it got that bad. The feds wouldn't let chrysler fail and there were 2 others standing right next to them. Sorry boys but HD won't be going anywhere soon.

Oh and mr derf. I will give you this. My standard tactic where I show robber how I made my steel pocket whip smoke doesn't apply to you, cause GD I actually think you're a decent guy. Even though being from dirty jersey you probably wouldn't see the smoke due to being accustom to it and thinking its normal smoggy air. So what am I to do? Hopefully ill have time to figure somin out.
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:51 AM   #49
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I don't see metric cruiser dealers offering guaranteed full sale price on trade in value after 2 years like HD does. I'm not sure if that policy spans the entire product line but is does for sure on the Sportster.
True, when I traded my p.o.s. Sportster 883 in for my p.o.s. Sportster 1200, they gave me full credit towards the new bike. As far as the MSRP question went, yhey give you what you paid and Harley didn't deal back then, in fact some dealers were getting "premiums" on some of the models.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:56 AM   #50
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
I did this deal. Here's what it is. You buy any new sporty. You can trade it in anytime up to 2 yrs later. It must be traded in on any large v-twin (read Twin cam)/ any non sporty bike. You then get full MSRP for trade in value. You basically just owned the bike for 2 yrs for nothing more than tax, gas, oil.

Well I work on and ride with and have rode many jap cruisers. They are fine. They do what they do at their cost well. But I will tell ya. You pay more for a HD for many reasons. The bike is simply better in so many ways. Especially when you start working on them. The HD also has more power. My wife's 883 could easily out run a Honda 1300 and a rejetted Honda 1100.

The problem with this entire thread is that you have a bunch of riders that don't ride cruisers and really don't work on them. You can't compare a sportbike or dual sport to this segment of riding.

Bottom line. You get what you pay for.

The lincoln is better than the chevy
The cadillac is better than the ford
Mercury is similar to buick

Don't bitch about the price of the lincoln because you can buy a chevy that will also drive down the road. There is a reason why the lincoln is more money.

But I wouldn't know anything about it. I never work on bikes. I haven't rode most brands and styles.

We actually have a number of threads like this going right now... one or some guys have "premium" gear, TVs, AV equipment, bikes, etc and a bunch of people that are too cheap/poor to get the good stuff sit around and rag on them for it. People used to envy those that could afford the best, now you're a "douche" if you get anything but the bare, basic necessity.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote