Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 05-19-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
dubbs
Multistrada

Default Interesting Ride..

I went riding my normal route of twisties yesterday and came upon a biker with a BMW resting on the engine's head. Every car just kept going around him, waiting 1 at a time, be very courteous to everyone but the rider who obviously needed help getting that huge bike up.

So I park the bike, walk up to the guy and ask if he needs help.. The second I got near him I was hit with the stench of beer. Ah, ok this explains this now.. The guy can barely talk.. I have NO FUCKING idea why he was on a motorcycle.. He couldn't even help ME get the bike up and I estimated the bike to being about 800lbs, Finally got the bike out of the middle of the road, threw it on the kickstand and just basically told the guy to get home right now before the you kill yourself or someone else. Told him to be careful (yeah right) and watched him go on his wobbly way..

I followed with some distance and he was right around the block from his house, so at least he made it without dumping it again, although he did end up taking the off road challenge to his block.

Don't understand how anyone could think that was a bright idea.. When I get real drunk to the point this guy was at, driving or riding never comes to mind as a great idea.

Be safe out there guys..
Daily Driver - 2011 Toyota Prius - Black
Beater - 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid - Dust Colored
dubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:10 PM   #2
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

dude... you should have just called the cops... it's what I'd have done... or walked his ass home
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:18 PM   #3
dubbs
Multistrada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
dude... you should have just called the cops... it's what I'd have done... or walked his ass home
That's pretty fucked up man, Don't know if I could have called the cops..

Figures the first time I get to help a fellow bike it turns out making me look bad..
Old 05-19-2008, 05:23 PM   #4
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

well I'll help out a fellow biker anytime I can... but I won't help them put others or their self in more danger...

Drunk Driving is no fucking joke... and I sure as hell wouldn't help anyone get back on the road after going off drunk...

it's their choice to drive drunk... they should be thankfull I call the cops instead of letting them back on the road and possibly kill someone...

that's just my stand point...
Old 05-19-2008, 05:27 PM   #5
dubbs
Multistrada

Quote:
well I'll help out a fellow biker anytime I can... but I won't help them put others or their self in more danger...

Drunk Driving is no fucking joke... and I sure as hell wouldn't help anyone get back on the road after going off drunk...

it's their choice to drive drunk... they should be thankfull I call the cops instead of letting them back on the road and possibly kill someone...

that's just my stand point...
I guess looking back on it I could have done something else.. In the moment I didn't have any place to keep my bike safely or his.. If I called the cops he woulda been gone anyway..
Old 05-19-2008, 06:51 PM   #6
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Quote:
You know what I would have called the cops the moment he decided to get back on the bike.
I have my bias and not that it is a big deal to anyone but me (nor should it be) I am also a recovering alcoholic, before I put it down I 27 years ago I managed slam head on into a oncoming Van with my car costing that man his livelihood for weeks while the insurance company dicked around with him, and healed from his injuries Saddly the police officer who responded chose not to notice the booze on my breath and wrote up that I had swerved to avoid an animal in the road (in part because for a while there was some question if I would drive again), When a friend tried to approach the subject with me by saying you have to do something I said yeah I need to get a bigger car, and I did! Because there was only limited consequence I would continue to drink and be a ward of recreational chemistry for 3 more years driving countless more times (thankfully never injuring anyone again)

I will give anyone a ride who is toxic I don't judge other peoples use of Alcohol or any other recreational drug. But if someone can't be talked out of driving impaired I have no issues with diming them out.
Even just riding behind a guy who is toxic can be fatal or if the guy had hit someone you wind up tarred with the same brush.
Honda is right Stupid hurts and you know what IT SHOULD! Bet an evening in the tank would have helped this guy get his head right. it did me.
One more thing, this guy on the BMW took a 500 lb peice or precision machinery and turned it into a semi guided missle in a Neighborhood where my granddaughter could live and you can bet someones kid and grandkids lived in it and this jackass could have easily killed one.

Last edited by nhgunnut; 05-19-2008 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: cause this gauls me
nhgunnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:22 AM   #7
PiZdETS
⎷⎛⎝ ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ ⎷⎛⎝

Moto: ⎷⎛⎝ ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ ⎷⎛⎝

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhgunnut View Post
You know what I would have called the cops the moment he decided to get back on the bike.
I have my bias and not that it is a big deal to anyone but me (nor should it be) I am also a recovering alcoholic, before I put it down I 27 years ago I managed slam head on into a oncoming Van with my car costing that man his livelihood for weeks while the insurance company dicked around with him, and healed from his injuries Saddly the police officer who responded chose not to notice the booze on my breath and wrote up that I had swerved to avoid an animal in the road (in part because for a while there was some question if I would drive again), When a friend tried to approach the subject with me by saying you have to do something I said yeah I need to get a bigger car, and I did! Because there was only limited consequence I would continue to drink and be a ward of recreational chemistry for 3 more years driving countless more times (thankfully never injuring anyone again)
Takes balls and honor to own up to that, kudos dude.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:56 AM   #8
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiZdETS View Post
Takes balls and honor to own up to that, kudos dude.
I feel like I need to apologize for my rant here If it came off as compliment seeking.
There are three points I wanted to make

1 Drunk Drivers are incredibly Dangerous

2 You are not doing a Drunk Dirver a favor when you protect them from the consequences of their actions.

3 By givng them a pass to drive drunk You are putting others in VERY REAL Danger
nhgunnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:03 AM   #9
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhgunnut View Post
I feel like I need to apologize for my rant here If it came off as compliment seeking.
There are three points I wanted to make

1 Drunk Drivers are incredibly Dangerous

2 You are not doing a Drunk Dirver a favor when you protect them from the consequences of their actions.

3 By givng them a pass to drive drunk You are putting others in VERY REAL Danger
That is exactly what I meant by my first post... not trying to come down hard on Dubbs... just pointing out his error... I can't say that I've never helped a buddy get home who was drunk... or never drank and drove myself... but I'm old enough now to realize just how stupid and dangerous that was...

thanks nhgunnut
Old 05-20-2008, 09:17 AM   #10
NeonspeedRT
At Large

Moto: 2005 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbs View Post
That's pretty fucked up man, Don't know if I could have called the cops..

Figures the first time I get to help a fellow bike it turns out making me look bad..
Dubbs, nobody is making you look bad at all. You did what you thought was right. However, I have no tolerance for drinking and riding/driving at all. You did what you thought was right. Others would handle it differently. Thats all.

Here is what I would have done in that situation. I wouldn't have called the cops. I would have gotten the bike up and off the road. Then told the guy to call a friend or family member to come pick him up. I'd even let him use my cell phone if I needed to.

I'd flat out tell the guy, he was leaving his bike there or going to have someone ride it home for him. If he decided to ride home, then i'd call the cops.

I would wait till someone showed up. Once someone showed up, then give them his bike keys and explain what the situation was. Then let them handle it from there.

Sure it may take an hour or so out of my day. But if I saved a life or helped keep an accident from happening, it was worth it.

"Riding a motorcycle is like playing chess. Anyone can learn the moves, but it takes a lifetime to master the game."
NeonspeedRT is offline   Reply With Quote