Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 05-08-2009, 05:31 AM   #21
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
So that you don't have to own a truck in the first place?
Your car is also transportation. And cars are allowed on the track. Therefore, you don't need a motorcycle. And since the pollute More than cars, there's even less need for them.

So, from now on when you go off on a "I'm going to tell ppl what they should drive" tangent. Just remember that you don't need anything more than a pair of shoes and a bus pass.

Yet, I don't hear any stories from you about how cool the bus is...
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:43 AM   #22
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
Isn't that kind of what I said for #5?

Even though I listed it I still view it as a remote possibility. GM is not closing every truck plant. Even if trucks and SUVs die as passenger vehicles there will still be a demand for trucks, and consequently a need to build trucks for the commercial market. I think the commercial market buys a hell of a lot more diesel trucks than the passenger market, meaning the engine would still be viable. That is unless it isn't too expensive or can't meet emissions.
IMO it's getting killed because the costs to put it in production will not be recovered at the price and quantity that is estimated to be sold at least in the near term, and they can OEM an equevelent engine from someone else for a lot less money. In the past they'd pony up the development costs, I'd bet there's have been some long meetings going over list of projects looking for projects to cut.
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:24 AM   #23
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:
Works for me............Less weight = more agility

Kinda like the motorcycles you guys ride?

if it works for you then enjoy it, I won't try to convince you otherwise.

It doesn't work for me at all. I have a Jeep for winter days when they haven't plowed our roads. (live out in the country, no plow sometimes for a couple days) I also have a truck to haul building supplies to work on my house. I don't need or want some little shit box car that is useless except for the most basic transportation.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #24
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Your car is also transportation. And cars are allowed on the track. Therefore, you don't need a motorcycle. And since the pollute More than cars, there's even less need for them.
Motorcycles do pollute more than cars, according to journalists......but those tests were done in unknown conditions.....We don't know what model years they compared, or whether the bikes had catylitic converters, sensors, & emissions controls. Nowadays every single new bike has that stuff, so as long as you don't remove it like most idiots do, I doubt it will pollute much more than a car. I don't know either way, but I would like to see an up-to-date comparison.

I never advocated taking away the right of people to own the vehicle of their choice. I merely called some people stupid for the choice they make. They take their bike to the track maybe 7-8 times a year, whoopdie-do.......For those limited needs they could have used a car with a trailer, and had something that's actually fast, handles well, and uses less gas. I could see buying a used truck as a second vehicle, but paying up the ass for a brand new full-size truck as your ONLY vehicle? Not for me.........If I'm gonna spend that much money on a vehicle, it needs to be fun to drive. After all, guys being guys, the majority of us like stuff that's fast and handles well, which makes me suspect that a lot of truck-owning guys would have been happier with a car. I can't prove it, but that's my opinion.

And people say "WTF do you care about what other people do", well if I see something I think is stupid, I point it out. But I am not a government official, so my opinion isn't going to hurt anyone. But if you want to get technical about it, people driving trucks does in fact affect the rest of us, because if their truck gets 20mpg when they could have used something that gets 28, then not only are they putting out more CO2, but it seems to me that it also raises the price of gas due to the law of supply & demand. You guys do care about your wallet, right?

BTW I am moving up to the SF Bay Area, and yes the bus, subway and light rail systems up there are VERY cool. Lame in some people's opinion maybe, but the vast majority of the people up there use them, so what does that tell you. Hell, I won't need to use a car except for groceries and going skiing. To me, driving is a waste of time & money unless it's on a fun mountain road.

Last edited by Homeslice; 05-08-2009 at 01:40 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:20 PM   #25
wildchild
cruiser

guess I'm stupid then (according to homeslice anyway) oh me oh my I think I'll go kill myself now. my truck listed at 32K thanks. (didn't pay anywhere near that) and it gets 15.7 MPG and for the first 6 years of it's life it was my only vehicle. Would I have rather had something more fun (last time I checked funner wasn't a word) to drive. ummm no. For fun I have a bike, well and a couple more cars that you really wouldn't like.
Sometimes you can't afford to have more then one vehicle, or maybe you don't have room for more then one. You choose the one that fits your life the best. For some it's a truck. It's not stupid just because it doesn't fit your ideals of how people should live.
Do I need it? I don't know, bring me your little car and lets see if it can do what I need my truck to do. Funny I have a friend from Cali who regularly scowls at my truck. That is until I tell him to let me use his little truck for the weekend and then I'll get rid of mine.
Do I need the trailers, cars and other things that I do with the truck? Nope, but that's why I went to school and got a good job, so I could have more then just the bare necessities in my life.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #26
shmike
Follower

My truck gets about 13mpg.

My wife's Accord gets 30-ish and handles better.

She just started working recently. We have a 20 mile commute. Her office is 7blocks from mine.

When convenient, we'll carpool.

Guess which vehicle stays at home?

The Accord.
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:10 PM   #27
wildchild
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post

She just started working recently. We have a 20 mile commute. Her office is 7blocks from mine.

The Accord.
That was going to be my guess.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:40 PM   #28
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

Quote:
Of course not..........But how often does that happen?

Around here, the average sportbike owner just hauls his own bike, and nothing more. Maybe 2 if he's carpooling w/someone. I'm just saying a lot of guys seem to exaggerate their need for a truck. You see them driving Tundras when a Tacoma would have sufficed
Since we are talking about the motorcycle people, we assume that they don't need a truck to haul their bike. I think it is a mistake to assume people buy trucks specifically to haul their motorcycle around. Most times I would assume people bought their personal vehicle long before a bike was in their realistic goals.

I still don't understand why anyone compares my F250 Diesel to a 4 banger of any make or model. This thing has a 7.3 engine, weighs 8,000 lbs and gets between 15 and 18 mpg. I have 4 wheel drive, 4 doors, and can move just about anything.

A civic, integra, celica or what not has an engine almost 1/4 the size of mine, weighs maybe 3,000 lbs?, isn't 4x4, can carry 4 or 5 people without the same amount of comfort, cannot realistically tow a heavy load (meaning more than a small sportsbike) but yes it fucking gets 10 miles per gallon more than mine.

Does that actually surprise anyone? I hope not.

Once Honda, Toyota and Nissan bring out a truck with a big displacement engine with amazing mpg, then we can yell at Detroit for falling behind.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:45 PM   #29
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post

The Accord.
Why?

Do you actually like driving the truck more than the Accord? If so, more power to you................but IMO there's lots of people who would probably be happier with a car, and the only reason they bought a truck or SUV was because of all the heavy advertising that brainwashes people into believing they need an SUV for image reasons, and because they say you need an SUV in order to successfully negotiate the "suburban jungle". Seriously, if you watch ads for SUVs, they don't show the SUV towing anything, they just show it driving downtown with friends going clubbing or something, with trendy-looking people behind the wheel, to make it look like the cool thing to buy.........and then they show a "rugged" segment with them driving thru rainy weather or a construction zone, like as if a regular car can't do that.

Last edited by Homeslice; 05-08-2009 at 03:48 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:56 PM   #30
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

So if we shouldn't buy more than we need, wtf are we all doing on race inspired sportbikes when we could be riding much higher mpg scooters that would still take us through the mountains when we wanted to?

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote