Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 01-12-2010, 09:16 PM   #1
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man
Default Haiti just got hit with a massive earthquake

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...cks_haiti.html

Quote:
Another major tragedy hit star-crossed Haiti Tuesday when a massive earthquake smashed the capital, knocking down hospitals, high-rises, ministries, churches and part of the presidential palace.

Hundreds - maybe thousands - of dead and wounded people were believed buried under rubble.

"It's going to be a major catastrophe when we start to count the dead," said Haitian Ambassador Raymond Joseph.

Haitipal TV reported many of the downtown buildings had collapsed, including the parliament. The presidential palace was badly damaged, Joseph said.

He said he was told President René Préval was not hurt.

In the center of town, more buildings were down than standing, witnesses said.

"People were screaming 'Jesus, Jesus' and running in all directions," said Reuters reporter Joseph Guyler Delva. "It's total chaos."

A five-story apartment building was also said to have fallen down, with much loss of life.

The magnitude 7.3 quake hit near the capital Port-au-Prince, home to 2 million people, at 4:53 p.m.

Two powerful aftershocks measuring 5.9 and 5.5 on the Richter scale soon followed, further damaging structures weakened by the initial quake.

Haiti has been struggling to recover from a string of hurricanes that devastated the island in 2008, destroying the island's infrastructure and killing hundreds.

President Obama said the United States stood ready to help with the latest crisis.

"My thoughts and prayers go out to those who have been affected by this earthquake," he said.

The Red Cross pledged an initial $200,000 in aid. "We do have staff on the ground - we have not been able to reach them," said Red Cross spokesman Abbi Weaver.

Witnesses said the streets of the capital were full of panicked people, and screams were coming from under the piles of rubble seen everywhere.

People were clawing at the rubble with their bare hands, trying to save loved ones, witnesses said.

Power was out, radio was off-line and phone service was down. Haitians in New York City frantically trying to contact relatives back home were having little luck getting through.

There were reports the airport in Port-au-Prince was badly hit, which could hamper efforts to fly in aid.

Emergency meetings were being held at the State Department, which was having trouble contacting the Haitian government.

"We will be providing both civilian and military disaster relief," said Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. "Our prayers are with the people who have suffered."

Her husband, former President Bill Clinton, who is the United Nations Special Envoy for Haiti, promised his office was "committed to do whatever we can to assist the people of Haiti."

In Petitionville, where a hospital fell down on top of screaming patients, a visiting U.S. Department of Agriculture official said he saw a number of homes collapsed into a ravine.

"The sky is just gray with dust," Henry Bahn told the Associated Press.

"I just hear a tremendous amount of noise and shouting and screaming in the distance."

Rep. Eliot Engel (D-N.Y.), who chairs the House Foreign Affairs Western Hemisphere subcommittee, urged the administration "to do everything possible to help."

"This is the worst possible time for a natural disaster in Haiti, a country which is still recovering from the devastating storms of just over a year ago," Engel said.

A government analyst it was the worst quake to ever hit Haiti, which was last hit by a major magnitude-6.7 temblor in 1984.

The poorest and most densely populated country in the Western Hemisphere, Haiti has been through untold misery in recent years.

The island was just begining to start showing the first signs of recovery from the relentless battering of hurricanes Fay, Gustav, Hanna and Ike.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...#ixzz0cSFxd64O
Old 01-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
tommymac
Moto GP Star

been reading some of the reports so far and sounds prety bad. A couple of docs and friends at work are hatian so I hope all is well with them since they have family down there.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

that is too terrible to even comprehend

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:15 AM   #4
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Great. Now they have a bunch of shit laying around handy to make rafts, and even more motivation.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:12 AM   #5
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:24 AM   #6
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
Great. Now they have a bunch of shit laying around handy to make rafts, and even more motivation.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
OK, I laughed.

It is sad and horrible though... the pictures on the news

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #8
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

I wonder if there were any tourist casualties.
It is tourist season.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:02 PM   #9
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
I wonder if there were any tourist casualties.
It is tourist season.
Won't someone think of the white people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:08 PM   #10
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Won't someone think of the white people?
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote