Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 04-06-2010, 02:00 PM   #241
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
Ok...by that logic...let's get rid of cigarettes while we're at it.

They're HORRIBLE for you and EVERYONE with a brain in their head knows it.

You can walk into any convenience store in the country and buy cigarettes by the carton...where is the outrage over that Avatard? What EXACTLY is the difference?
Labeling. Ever read the side of a pack of smokes?

I'll bite: Let's put a black box warning on all products with HFCS, ok?

Then people can make an informed purchase/use decision.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #242
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

It's a harmful product and people CHOOSE to consume it. Hell, a pack of cigarettes has a label essentially saying "consuming this product will kill you" and dumb fuckers STILL smoke them hand over fist.

No amount of Government "protection" is going to protect you from YOURSELF if you are unwilling to assume responsibility for protecting yourself.

I think you left out the most relevant portion of what I wrote.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:12 PM   #243
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

I wouldn't say I left it out. I essentially agreed with it.

Labeling. People can then choose to do what they want.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #244
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
It's a harmful product and people CHOOSE to consume it. Hell, a pack of cigarettes has a label essentially saying "consuming this product will kill you" and dumb fuckers STILL smoke them hand over fist.

No amount of Government "protection" is going to protect you from YOURSELF if you are unwilling to assume responsibility for protecting yourself.

I think you left out the most relevant portion of what I wrote.
Its not about government protection, its about current governmental policies that ensure our market is flooded with cheap food that is very bad for you. Nobody is saying, well at least I'm not, that HFCS should be put on the illegal substance list.

Those policies can be changed to allow more farmers to focus on healthier foods than just motherfucking corn. Your stance seems to be that the government should work to ensure that we as a country manufacture the world's most unhealthy shit foods, make them extremely available so that they are ingrained in our culture, and just take a "fuck anyone who isn't smart enough to eat right" stance on it.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:47 PM   #245
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Its not about government protection, its about current governmental policies that ensure our market is flooded with cheap food that is very bad for you. Nobody is saying, well at least I'm not, that HFCS should be put on the illegal substance list.

Those policies can be changed to allow more farmers to focus on healthier foods than just motherfucking corn. Your stance seems to be that the government should work to ensure that we as a country manufacture the world's most unhealthy shit foods, make them extremely available so that they are ingrained in our culture, and just take a "fuck anyone who isn't smart enough to eat right" stance on it.
I took the following banter as a call for the banning of HFCS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
This shit needs to be off the market.
Quote:
Agree.
For your second paragraph:
I don't see Gregman taking that stance at all. All I see is him taking the stance that personal responsibility should take precedent over what the government "tells" you, or in this case, "doesn't tell" you.

I can't believe that you, of all people, disagree with that.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:52 PM   #246
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

I don't disagree with that at all, you're right. My beef is with the policies that make our supermarkets what they are, so to speak. I'm not for any total banning.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Old 04-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #247
shmike
Follower

Quote:
I don't disagree with that at all, you're right. My beef is with the policies that make our supermarkets what they are, so to speak. I'm not for any total banning.
My contention earlier was that our supermarkets being what they are is as much the fault of the consumer as it is the government.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #248
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Quote:
Your stance seems to be that the government should work to ensure that we as a country manufacture the world's most unhealthy shit foods, make them extremely available so that they are ingrained in our culture, and just take a "fuck anyone who isn't smart enough to eat right" stance on it.
I disagree...

There is a wide variety of food grown or manufactured in this country....all widely distributed and readily available. Junk food...health food...processed food...whole food....EVERYTHING. As a consumer, I have the right to CHOOSE....and....the OBLIGATION to monitor the contents of whatever I choose to consume. That obligation belongs to no one but ME.

Is HFCS shit? Yes....and you know what? I KNOW that it is so I CHOOSE not to consume processed foods that contain it. Are foods high in fat shit? Yes....and you know what? I CHOOSE not to eat them. Are cigarettes shit? Yes...and you know what? I KNOW that they are so I CHOOSE not to smoke them. Those are just a few examples of readily available and widely warned against products that are perfectly legal and readily available.

I guess my stance is this....I get hung up on the disavowal of personal responsibility for choices that each of us have the freedom to make.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:26 PM   #249
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Its not always about choice, its about what you can afford.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:28 PM   #250
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Its not always about choice, its about what you can afford.
I feel like this thread is going in circles.