Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 10-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #11
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
Dear GOD every honda civic that's been slammed with shitty camber and a folgers exhaust feel the need to "rev" or buzz this car like it's a wasp invading a hornets nest.
I really hated/loved owning a civic. It got me great gas mileage and never broke down, but every fuckweed out there wanted to race/block me because they thought I was some douchebag ricer. Mine was completely stock, nothing ricer done to it at all. No can, no tinted windows, bland civic. Glad I got rid of it. No one gives a shit when a little Toyota Tacoma passes them on the interstate.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #12
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
You did good Tommy!

This is where I'd love to post some story where I'm a hero and evoked revenge on a rager....but usually when I'm the victim of a rager it's inadvertent and I can't claim any kind of victory Plus...I'm the kinda person that seems to ALWAYS come up with the BEST comebacks AFTER the fact

Most of the time in MY case it's some dumbass just gets pissed at something I did that they didn't get the chance to do. Like merge from a stopped slow lane to the passing lane that's creeping at 2mph in a gap that HE wanted (me being behind them and taking advantage of the hole first)

Or being able to zipper merge in front of the car "in FRONT of" the guy eating his own face from impatience in the lane that's backed up for 5 miles. Then being "chased" by them after the congestion long enough for him to show me his finger and rage face.

It doesn't benefit me to egg anyone on or show any form of aggression. I'm always armed....and if you read derf's contribution on being armed you know you HAVE to walk away and not be the aggressor JIC you ever HAVE to use your weapon.

My biggest problem is the vehicles I drive Granted...I have nothing special. I may have a few cars in the driveway, but all totaled up their value doesn't exceed the cost of 1 brand new SUV. But it's the make/model that seem to extract all kinds of attention from ego-driven douschenozzles from all around.

1. F350 diesel: For some reason, every OTHER redneck in the county that subscribes to the coalrollers of america (read: they've programmed their computer or turned the fuel up on their cummins to billow black smoke) believes that I in fact am breaching their territory by driving on the roads they travel. And inherently attempt to pull a scene from The Duel to intimidate me into racing them or get out of their turf.

2. GTI: Dear GOD every honda civic that's been slammed with shitty camber and a folgers exhaust feel the need to "rev" or buzz this car like it's a wasp invading a hornets nest. This car only has mild mods to it. Intake, exhaust, and suspension. It's a $3000 car with 200 hp that gets GREAT gas mileage. I commute in it...sheesh.

3. Z4: Now granted it's the newest and nicest thing we have but still...we got it used, from a friend and paid less than you can get a mid-level Kia for. It's not something I worship, rub with a baby diaper or CLAIM is any better than anyone elses car...it's just a decent ride. Plus...I only get to drive it when my wife's outta town and doesn't know I have it But I get the same kids that the GTI attracts PLUS the rustangs, camaro's and kids driving their parents corvettes. C'mon really? And it's non-stop. Every SINGLE time I drive it.

It's easier for my blood pressure for me to just drive the exploder to work and NOT have to go home in a cross hatch pattern like Tommy did driving the other cars
its always after the fact you come up with soemthing good. I prefer trying to blend inot the crowd, my GT is nothing flashy but does have the big topcase that makes it recognizable. Well that and I am always riding it. I dont need soem asshole mesing with it or trying to take me out. Thats why I try to not mess with anyone going to the ER. Plenty of low life skells that wont care and will mess up your property just becasue.

I am now considering a way to have some sort of weapon on the bike thats readily available in case of this situation. Gun laws here are prety tough so theres no way I would qualify for a concealed carry permit. I know in most cases I can out run a car, but if its not safe or I do get boxed in and I have to stop then its a different story. I know in my case had this led to an altercation I would have been in the right since this douchebag did follow me and did try to cut me off/take me out so I could honestly say at one point I did fear for my life. had there been longer/more unpaved road its hard to say if I would have kept going or stoped and confronted him, preferably in an area with a lot of people/witnesses.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Fortunately I don't have to deal with "other drivers" since I only travel to the office 3 days a week and when I do its by train (station is less than 3 miles away using side streets).

The times I do head out on the roads during peak times on weekends or during rush hour I always wonder why anyone would want to ride in that bullshit. The amount of sheer stupidity on the road is just insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #14
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Fortunately I don't have to deal with "other drivers" since I only travel to the office 3 days a week and when I do its by train (station is less than 3 miles away using side streets).

The times I do head out on the roads during peak times on weekends or during rush hour I always wonder why anyone would want to ride in that bullshit. The amount of sheer stupidity on the road is just insane.
it does save me a shitload of time vs taking the car, and believe it or not I will still take any time on the bike that I can. Fortunatley most of my commuting has me missing the rush hr nastiness.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #15
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Given that a lot of my commute is spent in stop and go traffic, and lane splitting is illegal here, I avoid taking the bike if I know I am going to hit rush hour. That, and during the summer it's 90 million degrees... cooking on top of the Duc on top of hot asphalt around hot cars under the hot sun for an hour... just not my idea of fun.

Edit to add: and holy crap I seem to attract every douchebag mouth breather on the road. Either it's the morons who park in the left lane going under the speed limit (and stacking up traffic behind them), or it's the road ragers who tailgate me, cut me off, or otherwise feel like they have a bone to pick with me because I ride a bright red motorcycle.

One of these days I'm going to just go track only.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #16
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Mine was completely stock, nothing ricer done to it at all. No can, no tinted windows, bland civic.
That's the Z4...nothing at all done to it. But the truck and the GTI both have a modified exhaust (as does every single motorcycle I've ever owned) so I guess it's MY fault How DARE I want a little throaty sound and FEEL like I'm driving instead of humming my way on the back of a prius to work. I dunno....people are stupid.

That 12 yr old GTI has less HP than most base model Hyundai's (I remember when a 5.0 mustang had a WHOPPING 225 hp stock) yet you'd think I had a neon sign in the back window "1000HP turbo ready to wax yo ass civic owners!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archren View Post
I seem to attract every douchebag mouth breather on the road.
Me too AT least..I hope that's the case, and the roads just aren't overfilled with them ALL the time. That's one of the primary reasons I went track/dirt only. I have ENOUGH to deal with when I'm in a cage and armed.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #17
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:

1. F350 diesel: For some reason, every OTHER redneck in the county that subscribes to the coalrollers of america (read: they've programmed their computer or turned the fuel up on their cummins to billow black smoke) believes that I in fact am breaching their territory by driving on the roads they travel. And inherently attempt to pull a scene from The Duel to intimidate me into racing them or get out of their turf.

I feel your pain. Personally, I have learned to play with tailgaters. I mean, it's that much bigger than most anything out there. The big concern is retrieving the ball from the hitch from their radiator when they hit me.

Usually they can be sent the message to back off by being crop dusted.

I love my truck.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #18
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archren View Post
Given that a lot of my commute is spent in stop and go traffic, and lane splitting is illegal here, I avoid taking the bike if I know I am going to hit rush hour. That, and during the summer it's 90 million degrees... cooking on top of the Duc on top of hot asphalt around hot cars under the hot sun for an hour... just not my idea of fun.

Edit to add: and holy crap I seem to attract every douchebag mouth breather on the road. Either it's the morons who park in the left lane going under the speed limit (and stacking up traffic behind them), or it's the road ragers who tailgate me, cut me off, or otherwise feel like they have a bone to pick with me because I ride a bright red motorcycle.

One of these days I'm going to just go track only.
lanesplitting is only illegal if you get caught its a necessary evil in the NYC/LI area
Old 10-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #19
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post

I feel your pain. Personally, I have learned to play with tailgaters. I mean, it's that much bigger than most anything out there. The big concern is retrieving the ball from the hitch from their radiator when they hit me.

I love my truck.
Are you being a left lane dick because you are already going over the speed limit and you own the road or is this a single lane rural thing?
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #20
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
I just have an SCT set to street....no on the go select, so I don't have the whole rollin' coal effect. Just a puff between gears

I DO have the benefit of 100 extra hp though but when you've got a handshaker it makes getting up to speed a little more difficult