Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 12-14-2009, 10:31 PM   #1
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300
Default Using throttle to control cornering arc?

One of the key missed steps in advancing rider skill is getting comfortable using throttle application to control cornering arc while leaned over in a turn.

How are you doing in grasping/mastering this?

Last edited by tached1000rr; 12-14-2009 at 10:39 PM..
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:33 PM   #2
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

Wait, wut? How so?

I use my body to control the arc--go a little wide and dip the shoulder down to tighten it--but I don't know that I'm consciously controlling the arc with the throttle.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Wait, wut? How so?

I use my body to control the arc--go a little wide and dip the shoulder down to tighten it--but I don't know that I'm consciously controlling the arc with the throttle.
Grossly exaggerated here, but need to tighten up arc, carefully chop/reduce throttle input, need to widen arc, give it more throttle, with more throttle the bike wants to come/straighten up.
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:46 PM   #4
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

I try to set up the corner before entry but if necessary, I will use more brake on corner entry... is this a trick question? You're not on the throttle on corner entry which basically determines your arc. Obviously, you can make adjustments with the throttle on corner exit... I don't know, it just seems like an awkward question....
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:31 PM   #5
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I try to set up the corner before entry but if necessary, I will use more brake on corner entry... is this a trick question? You're not on the throttle on corner entry which basically determines your arc. Obviously, you can make adjustments with the throttle on corner exit... I don't know, it just seems like an awkward question....
Pretty much my answer too, but I'm also not sure I understand the original question
Old 12-15-2009, 12:09 AM   #6
was92v
Nowhere Man

Interesting question. I don't use it to define my line (arc) through a turn. That is done with visualizing the line, hitting your turn in mark and rolling through on steady to increasing throttle. I use it some on the street if needed and used it extensively when I raced to make quick direction modifications while at high speed with a lot of lean angle. It is (for me) a good way to make corrections or changes when you have too little available traction for brakes or steering input. It is also a way to modify your direction when hanging off without moving your body or putting unwanted input into the bars. For me, it is just another tool to put the bike where I want when other inputs might be inappropriate. The few time I've brought this up with friends they either get a vague look in their eyes or look at me like I have 2 heads, so I figured it was just something that worked for me and STFU on that.
I would imagine that dirt riders use something like this more than pavement guys, but IDK since I don't ride dirt.
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:01 AM   #7
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Chapter 9 in Lee Parks' Total Control is all about Throttle Control. Basically, he says that you know that you are using the throttle correctly in a turn when the suspension barely moves. That's smooth.

One of the many reasons I like my old GS1000 is that my throttle connects directly with the carbs. When I open the throttle, the piston/needle rises exactly the same as my throttle, letting in as much fuel as my right hand says.

There are no vacuum operated pistons that rise up due to air pressure like the constant velocity carbs on my old CBR1000. And there are no fuel injectors that have a dozen sensors that let in exactly as much fuel as the computer tells it to.

Is my right hand better than a computer? Hell no. I've bogged the engine many times, opening the throttle too fast or being in the wrong gear. One place I think I'm better than a computer is going into and coming out of a downhill corner. I feel that I can transition between the brake and throttle so smoothly that there is little suspension movement.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:00 AM   #8
FT BSTRD
Tractor Driver

Moto: Buell XB12X Ulysses

Strange you should ask. I actually consciously did this while riding this afternoon.

I think in limited traction situations the benefits/application options are diminished.

I find, though, that cornering arc decreases with the input of throttle and increases with throttle reduction.

I must be doing it wrong.

--Erik Buell

FT BSTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:17 AM   #9
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT BSTRD View Post
Strange you should ask. I actually consciously did this while riding this afternoon.

I think in limited traction situations the benefits/application options are diminished.

I find, though, that cornering arc decreases with the input of throttle and increases with throttle reduction.

I must be doing it wrong.
Hmmm... so you are on the throttle entering a corner? I'm on the brakes, sometimes right up to the apex and then I apply the throttle... I don't know, I must be missing something. I'm going to bed, goodnight all!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:29 AM   #10
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT BSTRD View Post

I must be having fun.
lol