Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 12-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #31
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
Now I remember why I shut up here for so long..............

I'll leave you all to debating how many angels on the head of a pin...see ya..........
Don't worry about these guys OTB. If they really knew it all they'd be MotoGP champions.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:33 PM   #32
was92v
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedracer42 View Post
Your theory is speed dependent. If you are going to call people out for making posts that are relevent to the track, then you need to clarify wtf you are talking about. Me, I don't do much street riding and don't care to. But I can assure you as I approach T1 at my home track from a terminal velocity of over 170mph and intiate turn in at over 100 if I roll off the throttle and leave it off the last thing that is gonna happen is that my turn will magically tighten. The bike won't like that at all.
In your example (which I think was not where this thread was really going) You will tighten up, except at that point you have exceeded the front tires ability to maintain grip and you will start pushing in a straight line. Since the road turns and you are going straight, if you can't gather it back, you will "run wide" as you pass through that part of the track on your way to auguring into the dirt.

But I can tell you that it is a heady rush to push the front all the way through a turn while riding your knee trying to find some traction. Finding it about 6in from the dirt, snapping it up straight and pinning the throttle on a good line out.
Um, that memory is making my fingers get all tingly. LOL

Damn I need to go do a track day.
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:40 PM   #33
FT BSTRD
Tractor Driver

Moto: Buell XB12X Ulysses

Quote:
Originally Posted by was92v View Post
Damn I need to go do a track day.

No you don't. The delicate egos of these younguns couldn't take the blow.

Some of these guys parents weren't even dating when you were ripping up Deal's Gap.

--Erik Buell

FT BSTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:27 PM   #34
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
Yes, grabbing brakes will stand the bike up; but we're not talking about braking; we're talking about decreasing or increasing throttle (speed) mid-turn. You don't believe me? Next time you go for a ride find a nice, long constant radius turn, pick a constant speed, and then roll off the throttle without changing anything else; the bike will tighten up it's turning radius; and the converse is also true.

Don't take my word for it...go try it out.....
I know exactly what you're talking about OTB. Try it on a 750lb cruiser and you'll see how fast it falls into and tightens up the turn if you back off the throttle a bit and opposite for adding throttle. This is very minor throttle adjustments mind you. And it's really noticable because it's hard to shift your weight and body on a wide cruiser seat so that's the best way to adjust your line. I did a LOT of this trying to keep up with Kerry and Kathy going across the Cherohala Skyway back in May. I finally had to give up when they picked up their pace and quit playing around

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:03 PM   #35
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

It's incredible how many people on here, frequent riders, are arguing against one of the basic principles of riding. Increasing speed decreases turning radius?!?! That must be why we all slow down for turns, right?

The arguments about weight transfer to the front causing loss of traction only applies if you don't have good throttle control, which the technique assumes you have figured out. Tached posted up a technique everybody on this board should know. If you don't, you should learn it.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:58 PM   #36
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Oh well it works for me, I basically wanted to get a good discussion going. I'm not the fastest rider or most skilled rider on this forum BUT I'm always willing to look at ways to improve my skills, add different ones to my toolbox and generally "not limit my self or my thinking"
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:08 PM   #37
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

A. Lee Parks is a dipshit.

B. What works for a twin, doesn't always work the same with an inline four, or a thumper.

C. Did I mention that Lee Parks is a dipshit?

<<<<Backs away, watches heads explode.

JC
Old 12-16-2009, 03:05 PM   #38
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
A. Lee Parks is a dipshit.

B. What works for a twin, doesn't always work the same with an inline four, or a thumper.

C. Did I mention that Lee Parks is a dipshit?

<<<<Backs away, watches heads explode.

JC
Why do you say that? I've met him twice and he's a real motorcyclist. He may look like a dipshit, but his book is way more simple and easy to understand than Code's two books. And Parks' Total Control class was terrific.

Some riders still believe that the bike is more important than the rider's skill. On steep, downhill, twisty roads, I have caught up with bikes that had twice as much horsepower and a third of the weigh of my thirty-year-old bike with steel frame, bias-ply tube-tires, 35mm air-forks, dual shocks, and an air-cooled engine with built-up crank, mechanical ignition advance, two-valves per cylinder, 26mm carbs, and a centerstand. You don't see any of those things on new bikes, because they've all been improved (except for the centerstand). The best thing I improved was my skills by reading Parks' book, taking his class, and practicing.

By the way, where are these 100MPH sweepers? The highways near me are so crowded and patrolled, it's rare to go 90 on straights.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:14 PM   #39
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
Why do you say that? I've met him twice and he's a real motorcyclist. He may look like a dipshit, but his book is way more simple and easy to understand than Code's two books. And Parks' Total Control class was terrific.
Asshole owes me money, and no, I'm not kidding.

Code is a Scientologist. I can't make heads or tails out of what he says either. As for Parks' book...meh. I didn't find it to be anymore insightful from what you could learn at an advanced MSF course.

If it works for you, cool. I just don't like the guy because he's a lying cocksucker that owes me money, so I'm biased.

JC

Last edited by askmrjesus; 12-16-2009 at 03:59 PM..
askmrjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:57 PM   #40
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post

Some riders still believe that the bike is more important than the rider's skill. On steep, downhill, twisty roads, I have caught up with bikes that had twice as much horsepower and a third of the weigh of my thirty-year-old bike with steel frame, bias-ply tube-tires, 35mm air-forks, dual shocks, and an air-cooled engine with built-up crank, mechanical ignition advance, two-valves per cylinder, 26mm carbs, and a centerstand. You don't see any of those things on new bikes, because they've all been improved (except for the centerstand). The best thing I improved was my skills by reading Parks' book, taking his class, and practicing.

By the way, where are these 100MPH sweepers? The highways near me are so crowded and patrolled, it's rare to go 90 on straights.

Come on down! Once you get away from the main highways, the cops pretty much leave you alone around here. Lots of sweepers!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote