Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Manufacturer War

Old 06-19-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man
Default Triumph Tiger and Daytona 675

So I did a demo day at the local dealership, tried 2 bikes, the Tiger and the daytona 675. (I walked away from the day with a water bottle and 4 free t-shirts too)

Tiger 1050.

Cool bike, a little too tall for me, but it just needs to be dropped an inch or so and I could get the balls of my feet down with the stock seat, not bad for my short ass 31" inseam. I had to start the bike twice because they were having a hard time getting the two bikes in front of me started. The second time I tried to start it it took longer than expected (maybe 7-10 seconds), very surprising for a fuel injected bike. Slow speed riding I didnt feel the weight, but the heat from the radiator blew right out on my legs, a problem that sorted itself out over 10mph. At speed the bike feels more like a standard than a dual sport and is more composed as a street bike than any other dual sport I have ever ridden, more on that later. The wide bars feel great and there is almost no vibration from the engine, even at the top of the rpm range. The bike does have plenty of front end brake dive, but they feel solid and ABS is an option. I think the dive can be fixed by adjusting the suspension. Oh did I mention that the suspension is fully adjustable? The bike is very composed on the road and like I said earlier feels like a standard more than a dual sport, in fact I got the feeling that the bike was designed to be a street bike but look like a dual sport. Having ridden the older tiger model I really think that the 1050 was never meant to go on anything but pavement. I do like the bike and would consider buying one except for one fact, the Vstrom 650 is 5k less and the Vstrom 1000 is 2k less, also the BMW's are pretty close in price, much more dual sport oriented, just as comfortable, more reliable and proven do anything bikes.

Overall, a great STREET bike that is $2k too expensive.

Daytona 675

The brits have made a japanese bike. The Daytona 675 is the most composed SS bike the brits have ever made. This bike feels great, has plenty of power on hand, and is fairly comfortable for a 600cc super sport. The suspension of the demo bike was set pretty stiff, stiffer than my 145lb frame would ever consider. Overall the bike definately felt like I was riding a 600cc Honda, very straightforward and to the point, no real compromises anywhere. The brakes were powerful and could stop an 18 wheeler if they wanted to. In the corners the bike was pretty composed, and again, felt very japanese. I almost wonder if Triumph had spies in the Jap big 4 design studios. The ride was pretty crappy, mostly because I was stuck behind a cruiser that would slam on his brakes for every corner (on a rocket III no less!). The only thing I can really say about the daytona is that even the headlights are slanted it feels japanese, which is a good thing, because in addition to being an all around good riding bike, it has good looks to match, and at a starting price bellow 10k it should be considedered for anyone looking for a 600 sport bike. My only concern is their dealer network and parts. if my bike goes down a quick search on the internet and a weeks worth of waiting for the UPS guy and it can be fixed, I cant really say that for sure about the Daytona.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

I think the Tiger is a good bike for crappy pavement... the thing I love about the DRZ and why it'd be hard to go back to a sport bike or a pure street bike is that I don't have to worry about shitty pavement, the suspension just soaks it up.

The Tiger seems along those lines, but not something I'd want to take off road except on a gravel driveway. course I've never ridden one... but judging from your experience, my thoughts were about right.

I want to test ride both the Vstrom 650 and 1000... but they're in hot commodity down here... my local shop has been searching for the 650... calling around because he has two people lined up to buy them.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

I don't get it, why would this bike be any less capable off-road than a Vstrom?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:57 PM   #4
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Suspension travel, or lack of it, wheel size which affects your ability to buy a quality on/off road tire. I think the tiger has a 180 rear tire which is pretty hard to find a dirt or dual sport tire in that size. Overall I could just tell that it was oriented towards street
Old 06-19-2010, 11:12 PM   #5
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Looks pretty tall to me

As for the wheel, what size is it compared to the Vstrom? Forget the tire.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:19 PM   #6
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
a lot IMO has to do with aftermarket. the Vstrom has lots of companies that make engine guards, fender raisers (for knobbies), ect...

haven't seen much for the Tiger.

but though I haven't ridden it... I have looked closely at it in person. it seems very much a street bike. Many of the parts used in various locations weren't planned well for off road use.

even Triumph doesn't boast about it's dual sport capabilities... look
Quote:
An all-rounder. The perfect all-rounder, we think. The Tiger is equally at home in the urban jungle as it is prowling on the open road.

The tall riding position gives a commanding view, making passing through rush hour traffic easy. Hit the highway and you will revel in the muscular 1050cc triple which, combined with powerful brakes and a high-specification sporty chassis, make carving through the twisties a real pleasure. And for the long haul the ergonomically designed seat with screen and fairing ensures a comfortable ride regardless of distance. A 5.2 gallon fuel tank, comprehensive instrumentation and optional ABS add to the practicality.

As with all Triumphs, a wide range of official accessories are available, allowing owners to tailor the Tiger to meet their specific needs. These range from practical items such as color matched luggage, heated grips and touring seats, to exquisitely crafted special parts allowing you to create an truly individual look.

MSRP: $11,999/ ABS Model - $12,799
and for the SE

Quote:
SE. Special Edition. A Tiger, but more. An even more practical version of the ultimate versatile machine.

Taking the standard Tiger 1050 as its base, the SE adds an exclusive color scheme and a higher specification that includes our sophisticated ABS system as standard, color matched hardbags and handguards.

Usability has always been a byword for the Tiger. The torquey 1050cc three cylinder engine delivers an infectious sound and feel, boasting the performance specification of a sport bike: braced swingarm, fully adjustable, upside-down forks, remote spring preload and adjustable rear monoshock, twin floating front discs with four piston radial calipers and 17-inch wheels with 120/180 profile sports tires.

The tall riding position gives a commanding view over traffic, making passing through rush hour traffic easy. Hit the highway and you will revel in the muscular 1050cc triple which, combined with powerful brakes and a high-specification sporty chassis, make carving through the twisties a real pleasure. For the long haul, the ergonomically designed seat with screen and fairing ensures a comfortable ride regardless of distance.

The result is a motorcycle with an unparalleled dexterous ability, capable of commuting, carving and touring in equal quantities.

The Tiger SE. Ready for anything.

MSRP: $13,399
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:53 AM   #7
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

A japanese SS with a triple? haha

How did you like that intake howl???
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:17 AM   #8
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Thanks for the write up Derf. How was the torque deliverd on the 675?
Old 06-20-2010, 09:04 AM   #9
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

good write up
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #10
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhgunnut View Post
How was the torque deliverd on the 675?
I really can't say with too much authority, I didnt get to play on the bike too much. Other than it pulls pretty good and evenly, although there is a small surge in power right about 8k, the bike just sorta jumps forward a bit. The bike is definately up on Tq than the big 4's 600 offering, but not by much, probably attributed to the larger cylinder side of the three piston engine.

Overall I really got the impression that the Daytona is a solid competitor to the japanese 600 i4 class