Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Old 02-09-2009, 11:25 PM   #11
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUKIMON View Post
Everything that I have heard over the years, and a few posts that I have read say to replace helmets after 5 years of use due to aging styrofoam and deteriorating shells due to UV rays. ???

I'd very much like to prove this myth busted, as I LOVE these helmets and they are like new. I got them from a one owner and he took very good care of them and rarely had them out/on.
Well...you can ship them to Shoei for a free inspection,if I'm not mistaken. They'll let you know if they are ok to use,heck they may offer to refurbish them for you for a fee. I don't know if any company does that anymore though...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:31 PM   #12
ZUKIMON
Is this thing on?

Moto: '01, 929RR

Yeah, I thought about that. I would love for them to tell me that the helmet is OK, or at least the shell is and they could refurb the liner for little $$. I'm up against it right now with work being slow and bills keep coming in, but I'm not compromising my safety either. I may be able to swing a little cash towards a new helmet when I get my taxes back, but I wouldn't have too much to spend and would like a nice looking helmet that is quality too. What would you suggest in a lower price range?
ZUKIMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:46 PM   #13
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Shark has some reasonably priced ones... As does scorpion. Doubt they'll compete with your shoie for comfort... But they will for price
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:51 PM   #14
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUKIMON View Post
Yeah, I thought about that. I would love for them to tell me that the helmet is OK, or at least the shell is and they could refurb the liner for little $$. I'm up against it right now with work being slow and bills keep coming in, but I'm not compromising my safety either. I may be able to swing a little cash towards a new helmet when I get my taxes back, but I wouldn't have too much to spend and would like a nice looking helmet that is quality too. What would you suggest in a lower price range?
Well.....

I can find you a Shark RSR2 for about $250 or I posted a sale on Arai helmets that puts a couple model under $300. A lot of people love Scorpion and they go for under $200. If you were a GSXR /Ben Spies fan I'd steer you to the HJC AC12 Carbon "Elbowz" edition for about $200... heck,just check with Competition Accessories they are having a huge blow out sale,I'm sure they can help you out!

http://www.compacc.com/s/Bargains_Sp..._Full_Face.cfm

BTW what size do you wear?
Old 02-09-2009, 11:52 PM   #15
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Man, I know where you're coming from, having an RF800 from '99, but seriously, if your helmets are from '97, it's time to retire them. Unless you're storing them under some seriously optimal conditions, the years of build up and disipation of sweat in the liner as well as environmental wear is probably starting to comprimise the safety off your helmets. I loved the way my RF800 fit. It was like wrapping my head in a pillow. But through the years of wearing it, the padding has gotten less resilient and the fit isn't as good as it used to be. It may protect you in an accident, but for 12 years your helmet has more than done its job.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:55 PM   #16
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
Shark has some reasonably priced ones... As does scorpion. Doubt they'll compete with your shoie for comfort... But they will for price

maybe but honestly,a RF800 wasn't that great of a lid and IMHO would get blown away by most medium to high end current helmets in every category. No offense to the OP here but I sense that he doesn't have a lot of experience and is used to a FULMER so most any other helmet would be an upgrade,again no offense meant.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:00 AM   #17
ZUKIMON
Is this thing on?

Thanks for the links Tigger. I wear an XL. I know, I know......I've got the "Big Head!!"

You're right Corey, they do feel like a pillow next to anything else that I have ever put on. They are quite too.

While we are talking about helmet, and I don't care to make another thread about this if need be, has anyone ever made their own homebrew speaker setup for an MP3/4 player? I can't justify the cost of an aftermarket setup, but I can't figure out what speakers would work well and mounting for them. ??
Old 02-10-2009, 12:01 AM   #18
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
maybe but honestly,a RF800 wasn't that great of a lid and IMHO would get blown away by most medium to high end current helmets in every category. No offense to the OP here but I sense that he doesn't have a lot of experience and is used to a FULMER so most any other helmet would be an upgrade,again no offense meant.
You may be right. The RF800 was a great helmet at its release. It was comfortable as hell, and near top of the line. But it's a heavy helmet with god awful ventilation that would fog up completely if a mosquito farted within 10 miles of you. The Shoei X11 and RF1000 has better comfort, is lighter, and doesn't seem to have as bad a fogging problem. Hell, the Scorpion EXO-200 and EXO-700 I tried out have a damn near identical feel and weight to the RF800 without the fogging problems. Plus, they're considerably cheaper. I'd rock one of those lids without any fear for my safety. And New Enough seems to blow those helmets out at some seriously nice prices.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:02 AM   #19
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Very true tig.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:04 AM   #20
ZUKIMON
Is this thing on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
No offense taken, and you're right, I have usually worn a Fulmer as that was all that my money would allow for. I have tried on a few different ones here and there, and borrowed a few to test for fit and sound levels, but the Shoei is where it's at for me. I can honestly say that I have not tried a Shark or Scorpion either.