Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 05-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
papapoi
Lost

I have had my Sv 650 since 2006 and i still haven't got tired of it. i just like to get out and ride even if i just go out for a couple hours. my next bike will be a touring bike. i dont think i could part with the SV, its just a great all around bike, but i do miss my 78 Yamaha xs11.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

already had this convo w/ u at the rally, u know my opinion.

I never ride hard enough to put a knee down on the street anymore, and i use the bike mostly for travel. Granted its not the most comfortable thing in the world, but its still fun for me. I think i'd like to get something more rugged though. Ive been going out riding a lot of adventures and stuff lately and they are very apealing. Mixxing camping and touring just sounds swell.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:34 PM   #3
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

It's a bit of a quandary. I get bored riding on the street, unless I can go fast. If I wanted to go slow, I'd take the bus. I've heard people talk about "scenery", but I've never seen any.

Problem is, now I'm fucking old, and having had the benefit of racing on the track, I find myself thinking about things like runoff, proximity of the nearest hospital, and how many times I can break my legs before they say, "fuck you, asshole" and leave me for a stamp collector.

About 20 years ago, a friend introduced me to dual-sports. I was hesitant, (there's all kinds of rocks and shit in the way, what a fucking stupid idea) but I warmed up to it when I realized I got the same rush dodging rocks and trees at 35mph, as I did dodging Buicks at 120mph.

There's another problem though... The KTM will do 80 on the gravel no problem at all, and since I'm an idiot, I will do 80 on the gravel along with it. Now I'll be the first to tell you, that doing 80 on gravel is stupid fast, stupid dangerous, and, well, just plain stupid.

It would seem that no matter what I ride, I still want to go fast, even though I know better.

BMW, sportbike, dirtbike, vintage bike, pocket bike, I don't care. I only have one question: How fast can I go without crashing the fucker?

JC
Old 05-13-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
It's a bit of a quandary. I get bored riding on the street, unless I can go fast. If I wanted to go slow, I'd take the bus. I've heard people talk about "scenery", but I've never seen any.

Problem is, now I'm fucking old, and having had the benefit of racing on the track, I find myself thinking about things like runoff, proximity of the nearest hospital, and how many times I can break my legs before they say, "fuck you, asshole" and leave me for a stamp collector.

About 20 years ago, a friend introduced me to dual-sports. I was hesitant, (there's all kinds of rocks and shit in the way, what a fucking stupid idea) but I warmed up to it when I realized I got the same rush dodging rocks and trees at 35mph, as I did dodging Buicks at 120mph.

There's another problem though... The KTM will do 80 on the gravel no problem at all, and since I'm an idiot, I will do 80 on the gravel along with it. Now I'll be the first to tell you, that doing 80 on gravel is stupid fast, stupid dangerous, and, well, just plain stupid.

It would seem that no matter what I ride, I still want to go fast, even though I know better.

BMW, sportbike, dirtbike, vintage bike, pocket bike, I don't care. I only have one question: How fast can I go without crashing the fucker?

JC
Amen.

Unfortunately, I usually find out the answer to the question in red about 2mph too late.
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #5
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Amen.

Unfortunately, I usually find out the answer to the question in red about 2mph too late.
That's usually how it works.

Over the years though, I've learned to listen to that voice in the back of my head that says, "dude, you need to slow the fuck down a little".

Key words being, "a little".

JC
Old 05-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #6
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
I only have one question: How fast can I go without crashing the fucker?

JC
How do you know how fast you can go unless you crash?
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #7
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsv1000R View Post
You can't go any faster than WOT.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsv1000R View Post
Any idiot can crash. The secret is to almost crash, and then back off a bit.

JC
Old 05-13-2009, 05:28 PM   #9
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

The time to slow down is when YOU decide. It's just that simple. The only thing to look out for is I've seen people take the step you're contemplating and make the mistake of trying to ride the replacement bike like an ss. Anyway, the key is for you to be happy. Who gives a fuck what other people think? Do whatever makes you happy right now, there's no law that says you can't ever come back to sportbikes later.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:50 PM   #10
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
The time to slow down is when YOU decide. It's just that simple. The only thing to look out for is I've seen people take the step you're contemplating and make the mistake of trying to ride the replacement bike like an ss. Anyway, the key is for you to be happy. Who gives a fuck what other people think? Do whatever makes you happy right now, there's no law that says you can't ever come back to sportbikes later.
Who is this and where's Tigger?

Too close to reason and rationality there buddy...

and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote