Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Old 04-12-2008, 10:57 AM   #1
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR
Default Icon Ftl!!!

im sick of seeing this thread at the top of the page. Icon panders towards stunter wannabe's that look at gear as a fashion statement not as a means of protection.

some would argue some gear is better than no gear. those are the same people that would argue sex with a dead hooker is better than no sex at all.

Im hungover, and i have to go take a drivers test... god damnit.

and can somebody please edit my post so theres three fucking exclamation marks at the end of the thread title?
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:03 AM   #2
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630

Do you have proof that Icon gear provides poor protection? I had an Icon jacket for a season and was pretty happy with it.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:05 AM   #3
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

never have i said they offer poor protection. I'm only stating their focus is on style, like a woman.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630

I agree with that. My jacket was the Pursuit though, it's rather understated. I have never been a big fan of loud stuff, hence my solid black gear.

I do think Icon serves a couple of purposes, though. They provide gear for someone on a budget, and they probably get quite a few people wearing gear that normally wouldn't.

My Icon jacket was ideal for me, for that season. I was in the middle of a huge weight-loss foray. At the start of the season, my jacket was tight. By the fall, it was too big. Once I got to the size that I felt I was going to be at for a while, I bought real leathers.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:26 AM   #5
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Nice.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:51 AM   #6
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

My Icon Field Armor Boots...

vs...

Sidi Vertigo Corsa...

Icon Accelerant and Motorhead jackets that I like to drool over...

vs...

Alpine Stars Boa jacket...

And Icon's the flashy shit?

Look... all the manfacturers make shit the looks terrible and many play into the stuntaz style... Who gives a fuck? Icon makes quality shit... your bias towards their target market is retarded... Especially when your favorite brands are trying to adapt to cover that market too... All the manufacturers focus on style... otherwise you boys wouldn't have all those pretty helmets now would you?
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:40 PM   #7
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
never have i said they offer poor protection. I'm only stating their focus is on style, like a woman.
you said they place style before protection.How do you know,do you sit in on their board meetings. Do yourself a favor look at the products the other gear manufacturers are selling and see if you notice anything. The days of wearing track gear to ride on the street are almost over! Btw a kid pulled up yesterday to go riding sporting a new Teknics jacket. It was BRIGHT blue and had a huge "T K" on it an goofy stripes going at all angles. ALPINESTARS sells motorcycle riding shoes that look like low top Sketchers and have a jacket named T-STUNT! Hmmmm....speaking of a woman,didn't you warble endlessly about the style of your new helmet and which visor to put on it? "Oh I think the iridium shield brings out my eyes". It sure sounded like you chose the helmet you did based on the pretty graphics on it and it's appearance. I don't remember you mentioning much about it's superior protection being a factor in you buying decision.

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 04-12-2008 at 04:45 PM..
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:31 PM   #8
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
im sick of seeing this thread at the top of the page. Icon panders towards stunter wannabe's that look at gear as a fashion statement not as a means of protection.

some would argue some gear is better than no gear. those are the same people that would argue sex with a dead hooker is better than no sex at all.

Im hungover, and i have to go take a drivers test... god damnit.

and can somebody please edit my post so theres three fucking exclamation marks at the end of the thread title?
If the protection is equal (just for the sake of arguement) then the fashon or style of the item is merely a matter of taste. Who cares what color it is or how many patches are on it,etc. I don't understand the anger here. Didn't you just buy a Scorpion helmet recently? When I got my first Scorpion helmet,everyone said they were cheap Chinese junk. What has changed? Is it because Mat Mlladin wears one now? He wore KBC before,mine cracked from being dropped! If you're such a gear elitist,then why didn't you buy an Arai or Shoei helmet? Is the only worth of a product based solely on it's representatives?
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:42 PM   #9
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
If the protection is equal (just for the sake of arguement) then the fashon or style of the item is merely a matter of taste. Who cares what color it is or how many patches are on it,etc. I don't understand the anger here. Didn't you just buy a Scorpion helmet recently? When I got my first Scorpion helmet,everyone said they were cheap Chinese junk. What has changed? Is it because Mat Mlladin wears one now? He wore KBC before,mine cracked from being dropped! If you're such a gear elitist,then why didn't you buy an Arai or Shoei helmet? Is the only worth of a product based solely on it's representatives?
you obviously must sport some icon gear, cause you are taking my post way out of context trying to defend it.

yes, its a matter of taste. and im saying if you wear some of the crap they put out , you have a bad sense of taste. They spend too much time trying to promote a "hardcore rugged im a baddass and i dont care about anything cause im all about skulls and crossbones" look. and i call BS on 90% of the people wearin that stuff actually being badasses.

There is no anger, im just tired of seeing the "Icon Ftw!!!" shit, and it caught me at a bad moment. So i figured if we can have a FTW thread we can have a FTL thread. I may have been a little bitchy because of a hangover, but certainly not angry.

ya i did. and i've never owned a helmet more expensive than 200 dollars. I buy helmets on the basis of style, not brand. i reserve my brand loyalties for motorcycles... go honda.

Im not a gear elitist. i just think people who wear icon because of the "badass" designs and shit are weak, just like the company.
Youre not one of those people are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
you said they place style before protection.How do you know,do you sit in on their board meetings. Do yourself a favor look at the products the other gear manufacturers are selling and see if you notice anything. The days of wearing track gear to ride on the street are almost over! Btw a kid pulled up yesterday to go riding sporting a new Teknics jacket. It was BRIGHT blue and had a huge "T K" on it an goofy stripes going at all angles. ALPINESTARS sells motorcycle riding shoes that look like low top Sketchers and ha a jacket named T-STUNT! Hmmmm....
I said their focus is on their style. i never mentioned anything about their equipment being ill equipped.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:47 PM   #10
vabarber2
ICON FTW!!!

Moto: 00GSXR6

NtS Is simply a hater! He hates vab and icon and wants to bitch about it cause its all he's good at! uh oh i used an exclimation mark!