Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 03-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #11
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I think I may have to dissagree with you, I have been tought that the ideal body position is to shift your weight to the side while keeping your spine in line with the centerline of the bike
Then we agree.

If you "shift" your weight with your hips, you'll end up crossed up, a la Doohan. If you lead with your head, it will pull your upper body inline with your pelvis when you shift.

Look at how Spies leads with his head and upper body, almost pointing his body like a spear:

While not perfectly straight he is pretty damn close to being in line with the bike:

shmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:11 PM   #12
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

The other thing is pictures lie... the pic with Hayden,the bike is sideways with the tire spinning,you're not going to be in a "perfect body position" at this point. The other pics could be catching the rider in different transition positions as he is shifting his weight into or out of a corner. Not to mention,that in a snapshot you as the viewer are unaware of the upcoming situation,perhaps the rider is in a chicane and can't fully commit his body to the first corner. The only time you will even approach a text book body stance is in a "smooth" or text book corner situation.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:30 PM   #13
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
I saw two examples of riding today. While riding some twisty roads, I saw a Harley tourer coming toward me that seemed like it was going too fast to make a turn. I slowed down expecting him to crash or run off the road. Then I saw something that was pretty rare. He leaned waaaayyyyy off the bike. And made the corner without scraping anything. He was barrel-chested, so he was putting a lot of weight to the inside of that curve. He had no helmet or leathers on, and was grinning from ear to ear as he accelerated by me. He must have had lessons.

While I was walking the dog this evening, a scooter rider came around a corner with his knee way out and almost hitting the ground. Except his scooter was weaving and scraping. I thought he had a flat tire. Then I looked up from his scooter and saw that his body was leaning the opposite way. His upper body was exactly perpendicular to the ground. Luckily for him there were no parked cars as he swung way out or he would have hit them. He needed lessons.

Perhaps he learned to ride on an older cycle. Back in the early 80s when I was out screaming on my kawasaki triples, you didn't lean to scrap your knee. You put your ass on the inside of the seat so it would actually turn.
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:55 PM   #14
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

Quote:
Originally Posted by '73 H1 Triple View Post
Perhaps he learned to ride on an older cycle. Back in the early 80s when I was out screaming on my kawasaki triples, you didn't lean to scrap your knee. You put your ass on the inside of the seat so it would actually turn.

It's interesting how taking curves have changed due to the advancements in bike geometry. Having a bike that's similar to yours, I can see doing that, as opposed to taking half your butt off of the seat. I get better corner response by dropping my shoulder than doing anything with my butt or legs.
Fleck750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:05 PM   #15
buzzcutt2
Fuzznutz

Moto: 98 ZX9

I'm in south FL...what is this "lean" thing you are talking about?
buzzcutt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:45 PM   #16
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzcutt2 View Post
There are curves, they're called "on-ramps'!
Fleck750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:40 PM   #17
JK
noodles... dont noodles..

Quote:
Originally Posted by '73 H1 Triple View Post
that was a point i was going to make as well. Bike has alot to do with it. now a days, sports bikes are more consistent with their "tuned flex" so techniques can be more universal. case in point, those 2 pics of doohan, older bike vs new bike
Old 03-22-2009, 11:42 PM   #18
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzcutt2 View Post
here's where we went when we lived down there.

zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:59 PM   #19
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed View Post
here's where we went when we lived down there.
That makes baby Jesus cry.

This thread makes me smile... in the street section.

Kickin' it old skool?? Like this guy, raced AMA in the 80's - can you tell from the leathers??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elite Trackdays 20090321 367.JPG (63.4 KB, 102 views)

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:39 AM   #20
r!der
snowboarder

Moto: 05 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
I saw two examples of riding today. While riding some twisty roads, I saw a Harley tourer coming toward me that seemed like it was going too fast to make a turn. I slowed down expecting him to crash or run off the road. Then I saw something that was pretty rare. He leaned waaaayyyyy off the bike. And made the corner without scraping anything. He was barrel-chested, so he was putting a lot of weight to the inside of that curve. He had no helmet or leathers on, and was grinning from ear to ear as he accelerated by me. He must have had lessons.

While I was walking the dog this evening, a scooter rider came around a corner with his knee way out and almost hitting the ground. Except his scooter was weaving and scraping. I thought he had a flat tire. Then I looked up from his scooter and saw that his body was leaning the opposite way. His upper body was exactly perpendicular to the ground. Luckily for him there were no parked cars as he swung way out or he would have hit them. He needed lessons.
By hanging off and shifting your weight into a turn you're able to go around a corner with less lean angle. There's tons of articles on this. Maybe you should pick up a copy of "a twist of the wrist".
http://www.atwistofthewrist.com/

The moped was probably counter weighing that thing. I think the ONLY time this would be useful is for real tight U-turns or just navigating thru a tight spot while going REAL SLOW...that's about it.