Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 03-22-2009, 12:19 AM   #1
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes
Default Leaning versus Knee Down

I saw two examples of riding today. While riding some twisty roads, I saw a Harley tourer coming toward me that seemed like it was going too fast to make a turn. I slowed down expecting him to crash or run off the road. Then I saw something that was pretty rare. He leaned waaaayyyyy off the bike. And made the corner without scraping anything. He was barrel-chested, so he was putting a lot of weight to the inside of that curve. He had no helmet or leathers on, and was grinning from ear to ear as he accelerated by me. He must have had lessons.

While I was walking the dog this evening, a scooter rider came around a corner with his knee way out and almost hitting the ground. Except his scooter was weaving and scraping. I thought he had a flat tire. Then I looked up from his scooter and saw that his body was leaning the opposite way. His upper body was exactly perpendicular to the ground. Luckily for him there were no parked cars as he swung way out or he would have hit them. He needed lessons.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:44 AM   #2
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

interesting, the second scenario sounds like 50ccs of mayhem....
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:02 AM   #3
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

I noticed a very similar thing today too. I went riding with my brother today, he has been "learning" from some folks he met at school. They have his upper body leaned way over while his ass doesn't move at all, he sort of bends over the top of his bike. Now I also know that my leaning position sucks, I slide my ass over to the side that I'm turning and my upper body only moves a few inches. Last time I did a track day the biggest piece of advice was to move my upper body over more (there were many more but I wont talk about them here).

My brothers body position (not actually him)

My body position (also not actually me)
Old 03-22-2009, 01:19 AM   #4
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I noticed a very similar thing today too. I went riding with my brother today, he has been "learning" from some folks he met at school. They have his upper body leaned way over while his ass doesn't move at all, he sort of bends over the top of his bike. Now I also know that my leaning position sucks, I slide my ass over to the side that I'm turning and my upper body only moves a few inches. Last time I did a track day the biggest piece of advice was to move my upper body over more (there were many more but I wont talk about them here).

My body position (also not actually me)
Mick Doohan is on of the exceptions.

The textbook body position is to lead with the upper body, like in the first shot.

Look at pics of Ben Spies. Except for his famous "Elbowz", he has near perfect body position.

Last edited by shmike; 03-22-2009 at 01:23 AM..
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:56 AM   #5
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
The textbook body position is to lead with the upper body, like in the first shot.
I think I may have to dissagree with you, I have been tought that the ideal body position is to shift your weight to the side while keeping your spine in line with the centerline of the bike

Old 03-22-2009, 02:17 AM   #6
Yamerhaw
Country Boy

Moto: 07 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I think I may have to dissagree with you, I have been tought that the ideal body position is to shift your weight to the side while keeping your spine in line with the centerline of the bike

but this pic is showing a rider with BOTH his lower and upper body off the bike, like shmike was saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Mick Doohan is on of the exceptions.

Look at pics of Ben Spies. Except for his famous "Elbowz", he has near perfect body position.

agreed

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.
Yamerhaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:18 AM   #7
t-homo
WSB Champion

I think the "right" body position varies a lot from person to person, however there are definitely more wrong positions than right ones.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:37 AM   #8
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamerhaw View Post
but this pic is showing a rider with BOTH his lower and upper body off the bike, like shmike was saying
The body position I was trying to describe for my bro was with his ass centered on the seat and his upper body hanging off
Old 03-22-2009, 03:06 AM   #9
The Awesome
Custom User Title

There is no ideal body position. The bottom line is you do what gets results in any given situation. There is no single magic pose that's the "right" way to ride a bike. The fact that guys like Doohan and Bayliss do what they do should end any debating.
The Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:36 AM   #10
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Awesome View Post
There is no ideal body position. The bottom line is you do what gets results in any given situation. There is no single magic pose that's the "right" way to ride a bike. The fact that guys like Doohan and Bayliss do what they do should end any debating.
Don't forget Mamola,yeesh talk about crazy body positioning.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote