Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-11-2009, 11:37 PM   #1
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650
Default Dual sporters or Krabill

What tires are you running or suggest? Desert terrain out here, and i ride on asphalt mostly (because i needed new tires for a long time). Since i am probably going to have my DR a little longer than expected i decided to make the best of it and throw on some new tires.

I heard good things about Kenda and looks like they are on sale at my local cycle gear...

Last edited by Tsunami; 06-11-2009 at 11:42 PM..
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:41 PM   #2
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Dual sporter or Krabill
Got someone on your mind?
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:46 PM   #3
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
Got someone on your mind?
just figured he was the resident dirt expert. especially after the long banter with tigger about how his dualie rocks (which i agree whole heartedly with!)
Old 06-12-2009, 12:04 AM   #4
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
just figured he was the resident dirt expert. especially after the long banter with tigger about how his dualie rocks (which i agree whole heartedly with!)
Well, for you information, both I and Trip own or have owned DRZ400s. So I actually know a little bit about dual sport bikes. Also, I rode a Husky almost the entire time I was stationed in Germany. Hell the first THREE bikes I owned were enduro/dual sport! So nyah!!!

The bigger question and I'm almost certain that my friend Krabill will agree, is what are YOUR intentions? Basically, what are your plans? Are you mostly on the street with a little two-tracking thrown in or are you just using the bike's street legal status to get you to the next trail? I personally have always stood behind Pirelli for enduro bikes. I honestly believe that they are the best of the best in this category. I do admit that it's been 3 years since I've purchased this type of tire, so I may be out of the loop here. In any case, the preponderance of riding type will be the deciding factor when choosing what tire is best for you, regardless of brand.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:20 AM   #5
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Well, for you information, both I and Trip own or have owned DRZ400s. So I actually know a little bit about dual sport bikes. Also, I rode a Husky almost the entire time I was stationed in Germany. Hell the first THREE bikes I owned were enduro/dual sport! So nyah!!!

The bigger question and I'm almost certain that my friend Krabill will agree, is what are YOUR intentions? Basically, what are your plans? Are you mostly on the street with a little two-tracking thrown in or are you just using the bike's street legal status to get you to the next trail? I personally have always stood behind Pirelli for enduro bikes. I honestly believe that they are the best of the best in this category. I do admit that it's been 3 years since I've purchased this type of tire, so I may be out of the loop here. In any case, the preponderance of riding type will be the deciding factor when choosing what tire is best for you, regardless of brand.

Mostly street and easy trails, but the terrain here is sand, and slippery rocks so i am more concerned with the grip offroad then i am on pavement. my tires are shot now so even with the knobbies i have on i have no grip at all.

And the more inexpensive the better at this point, i am poor! though with my little tires i don't think there is much of a price difference anyway
Old 06-12-2009, 12:29 AM   #6
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 08 WR250R, 12 XTZ1200

Dunlop D606's. No question.

If you do even a little offroad that will require traction (knobbies), you'll want something with some grip. The 606's are awesome offroad.

You'll also want something that can take asphalt without wearing away in 1,000 miles. I have consistantly got 4,500-5,000 miles out of my 606's. They're pretty worn after about 3,500 or so, but if I don't have a knarly dual sport ride scheduled, I'll go ahead and run them right down to nothing on the pavement.

They stick surprisingly well on the pavement, too. I have railed some pretty tight twisties without even a hint of slippage with them.

Kenda's are squirrely on the pavement and the Pirellis won't last nearly as long as the 606's.

I doubt you'll ever see another tire on my bike . . . unless something better comes out someday. For now, the D606's are it.

Last edited by Krabill; 06-12-2009 at 12:32 AM..
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:35 AM   #7
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 08 WR250R, 12 XTZ1200

As far as the best price goes . . . it depends on what day of the week it is

I used to get the best prices from http://arizonamoto.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc? but I bought my last set from http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/ since they were cheaper this time.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:41 AM   #8
Tsunami
Pug Queen

thanks krabill
Old 06-12-2009, 01:14 AM   #9
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
Dunlop D606's. No question.

If you do even a little offroad that will require traction (knobbies), you'll want something with some grip. The 606's are awesome offroad.

You'll also want something that can take asphalt without wearing away in 1,000 miles. I have consistantly got 4,500-5,000 miles out of my 606's. They're pretty worn after about 3,500 or so, but if I don't have a knarly dual sport ride scheduled, I'll go ahead and run them right down to nothing on the pavement.

They stick surprisingly well on the pavement, too. I have railed some pretty tight twisties without even a hint of slippage with them.

Kenda's are squirrely on the pavement and the Pirellis won't last nearly as long as the 606's.

I doubt you'll ever see another tire on my bike . . . unless something better comes out someday. For now, the D606's are it.
Hmmm... that's a good assessment I'd say. I would like to add that the Pirellis come in soft-hard compounds. Also if you're only doing very light trail riding, I'd still look at the Pirelli Scorpion or the Dunlop D607 tires both are designed for primarily street riding with occasional trail riding. As far as Kenda goes, they have a K761 that looks pretty good for the type of riding that you are describing. They go for about $100 a set from Motorcycle Superstore. Okay here's where you'll get offended but since you are riding a DR200, I don't think that your tire choice is really that critical. I personally would go for whatever tire I could get the cheapest. Hell, the Cheng Shin tires are about $60 a set! As far as the Dunlops go, they look to set you back about $150-200.... Use you best discretion.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:25 AM   #10
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Okay here's where you'll get offended but since you are riding a DR200, I don't think that your tire choice is really that critical. I personally would go for whatever tire I could get the cheapest. Hell, the Cheng Shin tires are about $60 a set! As far as the Dunlops go, they look to set you back about $150-200.... Use you best discretion.
I'm offended! Gasp!

as far as the street, yeah i don't need the greatest of tires, i mean the bike tops out at like 65-70 so other than a few tight spots here and there, there are just wide sweepers out here on apshalt so traction really isn't an issue.

i'm just plan on going out offroading a bit more before i sell the bike and thats where i see how crappy my tires are. Not plan on doing anything crazy but if its a difference of like $40-$50 between crap tires and better ones, then whatever

And if for any reason i will end up keeping the bike, even after i get another streetbike, then i don't want to have to spend more money on getting better tires so its a preemptive strike