Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 01-09-2010, 08:13 AM   #1
Cruzergirl
Its a good day.

Moto: Victory Kingpin Low
Default Front brake vs. rear brake

Okay, so Karl's thread got me thinking about my riding habits.

I can't ride in the rain. I'm always afraid I will go sliding off the road WHEN I try to stop.

So the question is this: What is the best way to practice stopping safely? I spend some time in the parking lot but I'm afraid to go out when its raining because I don't want to have to "white knuckle" my riding.

The answer does seem obvious but aside from disabling my rear brake I can't seem to kick that particular habit.

Oh, and so far I have been able to recover every time my back tire locks up. But who knows when I won't be able to say that anymore.
Cruzergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:28 AM   #2
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

I've logged many miles in the rain. I've spent a whole day in a downpour that would have left me waterlogged were it not for the goodness that is Aerostich. LOL

What I've found is this. If you're not comfortable in the rain, do a track day in the rain. This was one of the single biggest things that helped me get over any fear I might have had of riding in the rain.

Your tires have alot more grip in wet weather than you might think. The key is to be more deliberate with your inputs. Nothing sudden.

Practice practice practice. When it's raining, I will sometimes go out and find an empty parking lot and practice panic braking. I practice numerous skills every time I am out on my bike, and as alot of you know from my tours, it's not always sunshine and blue skies.

I'm comfortable riding in any weather. I've seen the full gamut from perfect, clear weather, to fog with zero visibility, hail, and snow. The best way I can offer to get over any fears you might have is to get out there and do it.

And this will make some laugh. I actually enjoy riding in the rain. Weird I know. I haven't had to "white-knuckle" it in a long time. I'm comfortable in just about any condition.

It sounds to me like your issue with riding in the rain is more of a mental roadblock than anything. Good luck shaking it!

ETA: Don't forget from the MSF also: If you lock up the rear brake, keep it locked until you are slowed to almost a stop. The momentum will keep the bike tracking forward and the rear wheel won't go anywhere crazy.

Last edited by G-Rex; 01-09-2010 at 08:31 AM..
G-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #3
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

Is the rear drum or disk? Either way, you could back it off a little where you can't lock it up any more.

Or put a note on your speedometer telling yourself, "Front brake!! Front brake!!!"
Old 01-09-2010, 08:31 AM   #4
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
The momentum will keep the bike tracking forward and the rear wheel won't go anywhere crazy.
This.

Don't let go.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

As long as you are not entering a corner that is. Rear brakes are the devil. Well unless I am off road they aren't anyway. Good rain tires help a lot with confidence too. My corsa iiis on my old rr sucked, the gs loves the the rain with the bridgestones.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #6
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

I always use both except when I'm going very slow, in which case ill drag a little rear.

But, you should be practicing how to do it, not trying to find out how to get away without doing it.

It is there for a reason..
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

When I first started riding I was a little nervous in the rain until I saw a WSB race in the rain on SpeedVision, they were using DOT tires and it made me realize that these tires have a lot of traction in the rain. Also I very rarely use my back brake.

I think the only way to practice is to do it, just go out in the rain one day.
EpyonXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:56 AM   #8
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
I always use both except when I'm going very slow, in which case ill drag a little rear.

But, you should be practicing how to do it, not trying to find out how to get away without doing it.

It is there for a reason..
this. I also find its sometimes helpful to drag a foot on the pavement before you start to brake. Gives you a good idea of how much grip is available and the status of the oil levels on the road
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #9
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

There is lots of traction available in the wet with todays tires(as long as they are not race tires).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujdDIaaxTbY

It is something you have to get comfortable with, but like Trace said, be smooth with your inputs(throttle, break and steering), or you will have an issue.

Does your local MSF have an experienced riders course?
If they do, see if you can be a walk on on a rainy day.

I did my ERC course on a rainy day, and I had a blast!
Old 01-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #10
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Your tires have alot more grip in wet weather than you might think.
Oooh that depends on where you are and the conditions...a lot. In areas where it rains frequently, rain isn't such a big deal. Here we can go without rain for 8, 9 months at a stretch. It takes a few good rainstorms to clear off all the oil, dust, muck, etc that accumulate. Until then it is SLICK!! I did one trackday where they let us out after it had rained in the morning. I got about 2 degrees of lean angle before I felt the front start to move

Be cautious, but explore your limits and with time, you'll find they'll expand! You can go pretty far in a straight line even with a locked up front than you might think--provided the front is straight up and down. Try it on a dirt bike if you ever get a chance.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote