Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 10-25-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic
Default Need a new entertainment system

Ok so I'm planning my black friday purchasing for a new living room setup.

On a slight budget cause I'm trying to do about $25k worth of improvements to the house with $18k. On the budget for this piece is $3.5K but if I could slide in under that more money to say the kitchen.

The pieces I need...

LCD 50"-60"
Audio system

Here's what I was thinking on audio. I want to go Bose. I think many imitate and some come close but bose is bose. Like Stihl to 2 strokes and Honda to generators. Others will do the job but not with their finesse. I also want small and understated but good sound.

I went to the Bose factory store Friday. I was AMAZED at the 3:2:1 GS Serious III system. Just 2 up front speakers and a powered sub. The sound was very filling and far more crisp than the lower Lifestyle V systems. The sound was also in the range of your periphial vision. No rear behind your head sound cause nothing back there. Comes with the 3 speakers, and the tuner which has AM/FM/CD/DVD with HDMI outs. And retail is only $999

To get the same crisp sound in the lifestyle V series the price jumps to $3k for the V35 system. So I am thinking of cutting the corner on this. Using the money elsewhere. MAYBE unless somebody screams bloody murder no.

Anybody?

On the TV/monitor...

Any suggestions? I know 1080p ( i think that is right). I want to stay mainstream brands. Love the Samsung electric powered mount that you control thru the tv remote.

I figure maybe I can snag these for a good deal on black friday. I'm pretty sure that will be possible for the tv...

What ya think?

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
jeeps84
No longer MIA

Moto: 1987 GSXR 50, 1996 Ducati M900, 07 GSXR 750, 07 Harley Davidson Night Train

Get a 41 tv. save a grand
Old 10-25-2008, 08:14 PM   #3
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet

I was able to get a 65 in. DLP Samsung at Costco for $1700 and that included a TV stand. You should have plenty left over or your BOSE system.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:14 PM   #4
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

I have a complete Polk Audio professional system for sale.... basically brand new...

Its the larger speakers... which I'm guessing you dont want if you are going BOSE. But I basically have like 2 grand in audio equiptment sitting in my bedroom that I have no use for now that i moved home. That is my first bike right there... if i can get rid of it by spring though!

Damn, i get excited everytime i think about that. But then i think about how hard it is going to be to get decent money for it. (i.e- not at a flea market)
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:57 AM   #5
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Yeah nothing big...

But I need at least a 50", being that's what I have now and I designed the center wall unit for this purpose

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:24 AM   #6
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Yeah nothing big...

But I need at least a 50", being that's what I have now and I designed the center wall unit for this purpose

Even without the bad ass system in place, your living room is already bad ass! The piece you designed is also very nice.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:29 AM   #7
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

I would Suggest "Building" Your Own Surround Sound System...The Out of The Box Ones do an ok job and all but I feel you get better quality with Peicing it all together

You Need a Receiver and then you can Kind of Get the speakers you want not the ones they give you in a pre packaged system...and a Wooofer.

My Buddy did that and his is KICK Ass. I forget his setup off hand but I beleive its a Sony reciver Bose/Polk speakers and a Yamaha Subwoofer.

You can kind of Mix and match with what you want style wise and stuff.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:29 AM   #8
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Well, to be honest gas... you can do A LOT better than bose for the money... I sold car stereo for 4 years, and home audio for 2... the bose systems we always joked... No Hi's no Lows... I've got Bose...

the thing they have going for them is, they're small and sleek. and they're easy to set up. but for sound quality over priced.

They're mainly for surround sound, so if your just gonna use it for that... and you must have the small speakers, then go ahead. but if you play music often... I'd go with book shelf speakers and a home reciever.

Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:50 AM   #9
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1206141605017

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1122654018549

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099395911231

Add another $200 or so for speaker cable, HDMI cables, Subwoofer cable, mounting brackets for speakers... and your at $2869 not including shipping. that's from bestbuy.com

if your bestbuy has a Magnolia store in it... go in and talk to them. I don't know what they're ability is anymore... but when I sold stuff for Magnolia before bestbuy bought them out.... I could adjust the price quite a bit. if you said you had a HARD budget of 3000... I'd give ya a $100 off for spending $2500... or $300-400 off for going up to $3000... and once in a great while I'd pull a $500 if you'd blow your budget and go $3500. this was a common practice... but usually required a "insurance" plan.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:31 AM   #10
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

I've heard the same shit about Bose... Over-priced and not very good...

I'll post up your shit on my Ridgeline forum... there's a bunch of guys who custom make their own home audio stuff on there and know way more than you can even imagine on the shit...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote