Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 09-27-2010, 06:20 PM   #31
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

So you're also buying a Vtwin? Sounds alot like someone else around here.... *cough*

I read the comparison of the RC, RSVR and 999 and out of the 3, the RC is actually the lightest But I love my RSVR it's definitely a better all around street bike the motard WOULD have been. I'd go with the RC over the SV unless you need cheap parts frequently for it.
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:39 PM   #32
quackPOT
Grand Master Fu

Moto: Ducati Multistrada GT

I'm biased, but I say go for the RC. It's a fun bike, for the right person. Some people hate it, and some love it. See if you can get a test ride. I love my RC, I've done everything on it, track, sport touring, commuting, etc.

Yeah the seat sucks, its a bit of an oinker for sure, and worst of all is the ball roasting and inner thigh burns you get when stuck in bumper to bumper traffic in the summer time. But I am still content with mine and don't plan on selling it anytime soon. I'm the original owner, bought it new in March 2002. I think I'm up to almost 40k miles now, not a lot, but enough that I'd sell it if I thought it sucked too much.

Most RCs in my area are going for 4-5k with basic mods.
quackPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:03 PM   #33
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
RC51 > SV. Massively greater than.
Uh...no it isn't. An SV1k will hand an RC51 on the track and the street some suspension and brake upgrades. The RC51 is just fucking heavy whereas the SV1k feels lighter than a 600.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:10 PM   #34
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akilldema View Post
Nah, the highway top speed shit is for the birds. Got tired of that at about 19. The RC will make about 10hp more, according to sportrider.com. Looks like the RC weighs about 4lbs more and makes 12 more hp stock actually. .....
The weight on the SV is very low. I swear that bike flicks as easy as my 2009 ZX6r. The only thing I didn't like about the SV1k was if you were in 6th gear at say 50mph, then hit the gas the engine would clang. However, it is one of the only 1000s I've ridden where you could full throttle in all gears up to 160mph without the front end coming up. Made for better racing IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post

I have about $500 in new parts (not listed above) yet to be installed, too. New steering stem bearings, wheel bearings, chain, etc. About 11K miles.

Open to offers...

Triple I love how you add the tax and shipping in.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #35
Akilldema
Canyon Carver

Moto: FJR1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
The weight on the SV is very low. I swear that bike flicks as easy as my 2009 ZX6r. The only thing I didn't like about the SV1k was if you were in 6th gear at say 50mph, then hit the gas the engine would clang. However, it is one of the only 1000s I've ridden where you could full throttle in all gears up to 160mph without the front end coming up. Made for better racing IMO.

Triple I love how you add the tax and shipping in.
Like I said, with the 2 model years, both bikes full of fluids, the SV only weighs 4lbs less and makes over 10 less hp. I don't see how the RC would get run down by one.. the bike was Honda's superbike platform.
Akilldema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:18 PM   #36
Akilldema
Canyon Carver

Moto: FJR1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYEster View Post
So you're also buying a Vtwin? Sounds alot like someone else around here.... *cough*

I read the comparison of the RC, RSVR and 999 and out of the 3, the RC is actually the lightest But I love my RSVR it's definitely a better all around street bike the motard WOULD have been. I'd go with the RC over the SV unless you need cheap parts frequently for it.
I wish I could find an RSVR for under 4k that was nice, I'd probably go for it in a heartbeat.
Akilldema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:58 PM   #37
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akilldema View Post
He actually started at $3500, sounded like he needed the money. He's also selling his ZX-10. If this other supermoto I want doesn't come up for sale by 10/20 and he still has it, I might get it.
That sounds like a pretty good deal. On the SV as others have said I'd make sure that the title is clear and will remain clear. Even if it is clear now I believe the lack of an odometer could create title issues in some states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
It has a GSXR fork and a Penske shock........And I wouldn't doubt it's lighter than the RC.

The RC is like 10 year old tech. The only advantage it has is looks and wind protection.

I'd grab that SV if it's cheaper.......Unless you plan on doing a lot of high-speed highway of course.
As I understand it the SV's powertrain is basically a detuned version of what was in the TL which is even older tech than the RC.

That being said, as long as the SV has a clear title and doesn't have the tendency I have noticed on TLs of eating their transmissions somewhere between 17k and 25k miles I would probably go SV.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:53 AM   #38
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Uh...no it isn't. An SV1k will hand an RC51 on the track and the street some suspension and brake upgrades. The RC51 is just fucking heavy whereas the SV1k feels lighter than a 600.
I'm all about top notch performance and track capability. Thats why I ride a Buell.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:05 AM   #39
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Probably not close enough but some ideas

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/search...inAsk=&maxAsk=

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/sear...inAsk=&maxAsk=
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:19 AM   #40
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

the rc needs two things right off of the bat, a vacuum tube that deactivates the flapper valve and the soft rev removal kit, once those two things are done the bike is great, but the addition of a PC helps smooth the hiccups

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote