Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Beginner's End

Old 03-03-2008, 07:51 PM   #1
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4
Default Static VS Dynamic

One of the reasons I love motorcycling so much is the very dynamic, ever-changing nature of the ride, be it the road and conditions, the motorcycle itself, the weather and temps, and the very nature of the sport.

If you have never had the opportunity to ride a sixties or seventies to mid-eighties streetbike, you simply cannot fathom how EXCELLENT and FANTASTIC todays streetbikes really are. They run, ride, stop and handle like magic.

It was about in the sixties here today when I got off work. I have about an hour drive home, and the bikes were out in droves. I got to watch a number of riders almost dump it...usually at intersections; either taking off from a light or stopsign and stepping out the rear, to one fellow passing me on a stretch of twisty two lane entering a corner over the double yellow and nearly putting it in the weeds.

The very dynamic nature of the sport means that not only are the conditions around me changing, but that I as a rider, change constantly also: the more I ride, the more I practice, the more my small and large motorskills groove into "muscle memory"; making difficult manuevers routine and adding to the depth of my tools in my emergency toolbag. Conversely, if I am off of riding for a substantial period (like 2-3 mos), my skills and reactions erode from disuse; judgement suffers, I feel clumsy, jerky and uncoordinated. "Just like riding a bicycle; you never forget"); Maybe, but all athletes go through camp or spring training or whatever to recover what they lost "off season".

This week is supposed to be pretty nice around here...the days are gonna be longer with more light later, and DLST starts up this Sunday; I think I'll set aside some "parking lot" time.....set up some sand-filled paper cups (keeps em from blowing around) and practice my low-speed manuevers along with some e-braking and swerves....just to remind myself there's more to this thing than sitting on the seat squeezing levers, and helping my body "dynamically" readjust to the requirements of riding, as well as getting the "static out of the attic".

Happy riding, ya'll...

OTB
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:03 PM   #2
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

I'm so glad you're here dude.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:04 PM   #3
OTB
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
I'm so glad you're here dude.
...and I love you, too, OSP!
Old 03-03-2008, 10:13 PM   #4
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
...and I love you, too, OSP!
Just a few words.......

OTB for FUCKING PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:12 AM   #5
t-homo
WSB Champion

Damn man. I would almost swear you sit down and think for a couple hours every time before you post. I hope to one day be as intelligent as you.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:23 AM   #6
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

I'm gonna jump right in after 6 months of not riding with a track day. It worked in September after five months of not riding. Although, I did do one street ride. But there's a big lot at the track that I'll ride for a bit to get use to shifting and all that again. GP shift, GP shift.

On a side note, wouldn't it be funny if, one day, we go to another forum and find out that OTB is a fraud and he just copies and pastes some other dude's posts? And he was a female?

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:27 AM   #7
OTB
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
I'm gonna jump right in after 6 months of not riding with a track day. It worked in September after five months of not riding. Although, I did do one street ride. But there's a big lot at the track that I'll ride for a bit to get use to shifting and all that again. GP shift, GP shift.

On a side note, wouldn't it be funny if, one day, we go to another forum and find out that OTB is a fraud and he just copies and pastes some other dude's posts? And he was a female?
Old 03-04-2008, 05:28 AM   #8
DLIT
Clit Commander

Quote:
Mad respect.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:37 AM   #9
OTB
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
Damn man. I would almost swear you sit down and think for a couple hours every time before you post. I hope to one day be as intelligent as you.
Actually, rather than spending my time PW'ing, I read most of the other posts, and then let the issues that stick out in my mind kind of "percolate". Then, while I'm cruising the site, sometimes a few days later, it just kind of "pops" out. I do review my posts a couple of times before I hit the submit button to make certain the paragraphs flow right.

I am not particularly bright, I just take a while before I hit the send button. Don't mistake good sentence structure for smarts..............

Last edited by OTB; 03-04-2008 at 07:45 AM..
Old 03-04-2008, 08:16 AM   #10
DLIT
Clit Commander

Quote:
Don't mistake good sentence structure for smarts..............
I know exactly what you're talking about.