Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Touring

Old 11-24-2009, 08:32 PM   #11
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

I need those for my bike.

Last edited by Rangerscott; 11-24-2009 at 08:34 PM..
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:11 AM   #12
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
I would also swap the knobbies for street tires.
I wouldn't given the time of year...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:59 PM   #13
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
I wouldn't given the time of year...
Knobbies on snowy dirt are fine, knobbies on snowy pavement=asphalt eating.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:20 PM   #14
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
How 'bout put street tires on and bring the knobbies just in case?

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:18 PM   #15
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
I was thinking about this a lot today... ( I over think all my trips)

I have the 70(on road)/30(off road) Stock Trail wings, and the 10/90 Dunlop D606's

I think you're right... I'm not gonna hit much off road... and more than likely... I'll hit wet pavement(point for the Trail wings) or ice... (point for the trail wings as they have more land area) Snow is a given... but I don't think the knobbies will provide THAT much more traction over the Trail wings, as I'm doubting I'll be riding in more than a couple inches.

Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:56 AM   #16
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think ur fucking stupid for riding a bike towards the end of December 1700 miles up to North Dakota. I mean seriously you are talking about riding in 45 degree weather, which is nothing compared to 10 degrees or less. Your shield will be constantly fogging up, your hands will be frozen (esp. without heated grips) as with your feet. And if it snows, you will be fucked and have to pull over, which could be for days. Not to mention bikes are not meant to be ridden in anything below 32F. Wheel bearings may seize, the clutch lever may stick or the carbs may ice up.

Anyway, enjoy the trip!

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:16 AM   #17
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Not to mention bikes are not meant to be ridden in anything below 32F.
Huh?!? That's a quarter of my riding year and I have never had a problem... Can you elaborate on this a bit?

With the right weight oil and making sure lubrication is up to date, I can't see how riding below 32F has any adverse impact on anything but the rider... If a bearing siezes up or something it probably wasn't in the best shape to begin with and cold may just throw it over the edge so I totally agree that up-to-date maintenence is a must...

I'm not trying to be a dick, just trying to understand this comment given how much time I've spent riding in temps around 18-20F.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:51 AM   #18
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but I think ur fucking stupid for riding a bike towards the end of December 1700 miles up to North Dakota. I mean seriously you are talking about riding in 45 degree weather, which is nothing compared to 10 degrees or less. Your shield will be constantly fogging up, your hands will be frozen (esp. without heated grips) as with your feet. And if it snows, you will be fucked and have to pull over, which could be for days. Not to mention bikes are not meant to be ridden in anything below 32F. Wheel bearings may seize, the clutch lever may stick or the carbs may ice up.

Anyway, enjoy the trip!
it's all good... my point in saying I'm riding in 45* is saying that I'm not at all cold. I've ridden in 20* weather in Alaska... luckily the roads were clear as i was on my ZZR.

My hands, will be in winter/wind proof gloves, with the "hippo hands" can't see them getting THAT cold with out the wind... I'll also have the hand warmers hunters use to drop in my gloves if need be.

as for riding below 32*... your bike maybe... all you have to do is a little preventive maintenance... spray a little deicer on the clutch lever... wheel bearings won't freeze if I'm moving... and doubt they'll freeze from a gas or food stop. which brings up the carb. now this is a real issue... but there is a heater for the carb... I'll be ordering that here on the first.

last... I've got a back up plan. My girlfriend will be coming from Rapid on the 23rd... and my truck (which still hasn't sold) will be waiting for me in Omaha. I'll throw the bike in the back and drive up. or if it's sold by then my girlfriend will come pick me up and I'll leave the bike at my brothers in Omaha.

But you don't have to stop riding if it snows... now if roads are closing due to it... yes... but I've ridden in snow on my ZZR in alaska with it falling... granted I had to slow WAY down... but it's possible.

the whole reason of this is to add a bit of adventure to the holidays... can't have adventure with out risk... you all may be seeing it as a lot of risk... I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Huh?!? That's a quarter of my riding year and I have never had a problem... Can you elaborate on this a bit?

With the right weight oil and making sure lubrication is up to date, I can't see how riding below 32F has any adverse impact on anything but the rider... If a bearing siezes up or something it probably wasn't in the best shape to begin with and cold may just throw it over the edge so I totally agree that up-to-date maintenence is a must...

I'm not trying to be a dick, just trying to understand this comment given how much time I've spent riding in temps around 18-20F.

that's what I was wondering... as I said above the carb icing up is a possibility... but I'm gonna take care of that.

remember the bike is 2500 miles old... think the bearings will be just fine
Old 11-26-2009, 11:51 AM   #19
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Particle, its one thing to go out for a few hours in the cold, you just jump in the shower to warm up.

If you've done any real distance in feezing temps, then I'm impressed. Anything near freezing and I stiffen up and become practically useless.

I can go around town, but if you start packing the miles on, that's when the difference comes into play. There's nothing like being hypothermuc on a bike. You're bordering on being intoxicated.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:03 PM   #20
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Particle, its one thing to go out for a few hours in the cold, you just jump in the shower to warm up.

If you've done any real distance in feezing temps, then I'm impressed. Anything near freezing and I stiffen up and become practically useless.

I can go around town, but if you start packing the miles on, that's when the difference comes into play. There's nothing like being hypothermuc on a bike. You're bordering on being intoxicated.
but 101 was talking about the bike... that's what Partical was replying to...

I know it'll be cold... but I think I'll be fine... I'll have several layers on, three of which are wind proof.

now that I think about it....

I've done a couple hours on snow machines (snow mobile) in AK.. in -15*... doing 50mph with bursts up to 70mph... I was fine... had thermals, sweats, over pants and jacket liner and shell on. balaclava, gloves with liners... and that's it.

I was really surprised I wasn't cold... course that was more cardio work than just sitting on the bike too... so who knows.

I don't expect to hit the REAL cold till north of Omaha anyhow. I'm not seriously worried about the cold... just a bad snow storm.