Old 11-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory
Default Obama Day

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...bLFPQD9BQQBD80

shitville county celebrates official Obama holiday
By BOB JOHNSON (AP) – 2 days ago

MARION, Ala. — The sign going on the front door at the Perry County courthouse reads: "Closed for the Obama Holiday."

The rural, mostly black county has proclaimed Monday as an official holiday celebrating the election of the nation's first black president, Barack Obama. It's one of shitville's poorest counties, but it's sparing little during five days of festivities.

County employees, as well as city workers in Marion and Uniontown, will get a paid holiday Monday as government offices close, culminating a series of events including an old-fashioned civil rights rally and march, a golf tournament, a weekend carnival and a parade Monday through Marion.

"I feel great about the holiday," said county maintenance worker Leon Brown. "It's history. It's the first time ever we've had a black president. I hope it's not the last time ever."

Located in the heart of the economically depressed Black Belt region named for its rich soil, Perry County is sparsely populated, with a little over 11,000 residents, and an unemployment rate of more than 18 percent, one of the highest in the state.

County Commissioner Brett Harrison, who cast the lone "no" vote when the commission voted 4-1 to set up the holiday, questions adding a paid day off in such a poor county. He said the county already had 14 paid holidays and it didn't seem like the right time for such an ambitious event in the middle of a recession.

"The timing didn't make any sense," Harrison said, pointing out that many private businesses will be open Monday, including his full-service gas station.

The Obama holiday was proposed by Commissioner Albert Turner Jr., whose father was one of the marchers beaten on the Edmund Pettus Bridge in the 1965 "Bloody Sunday" voting rights march in Selma. Many of the marchers were voting rights activists from Marion upset about the shooting death of Jimmie Lee Jackson during an earlier demonstration in the town.

Turner, taking a break Friday while participating in the Obama Holiday Golf Tournament, said it's only right to celebrate the election of the first black president.

"We hold holidays for Columbus and for Lincoln. There's been no event more historic in my lifetime than the election of Barack Obama," Turner said.

He said another reason for the holiday was to let the nation know the role Perry County played in protests that led to passage of the Voting Rights Act. Some of the events recall the demonstrations.

"It's not that we're celebrating Obama. We're celebrating America living up to it's creed that all men are created equal," Turner said.

Activities Friday included a jamboree at Marion Military Institute, where high school students from public and private schools in three counties had a chance to meet with representatives of colleges from across the Southeast and were given instructions on how to apply for college.

Fransia Foster, president of the Marion branch of University Women of America, which sponsored the event, said it was planned before the holiday was established. But she said the coincidence was appropriate.

"Look what education has done for President Obama and his family. I think this ties in very nicely with the holiday," Foster said.

Roshawd Shepherd, a junior at R.C. Hatch High School in Uniontown, said he's only 16, but will be old enough to vote for Obama if he runs for re-election in 2012.

"I think he's made a big change in our community and the United States. If he does the things he says he's going to do, I'll vote for him," Shepherd said.

The host of the golf tournament Friday, state Sen. Bobby Singleton, D-Greensboro, said he hopes publicity surrounding the holiday will help lure new industry and jobs to the depressed region.

But Michael Brooks, a Judson College professor who is a Republican Party official in Perry County, wondered if the five days of events celebrating Obama's election wasn't a little too much for the small, poor county.

"I question whether we needed another paid county holiday in the middle of a recession," Brooks said. "For the first year, it seems it could have been a bit more modest."

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
tommymac
Moto GP Star

"We hold holidays for Columbus and for Lincoln. There's been no event more historic in my lifetime than the election of Barack Obama," Turner said.

No event more historic, unless hes less than 8 yrs old I think that little incident in sept 01 may be a bit more historic.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

i hear its celebrated by taking credit for things you didnt do and getting hired for jobs with no experience
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

Omfg.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #5
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post

No event more historic, unless hes less than 8 yrs old I think that little incident in sept 01 may be a bit more historic.

Tom
My birthday is a pretty signifigant day in world events.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
My birthday is a pretty signifigant day in world events.
Mine's bigger.

JC
Old 11-09-2009, 07:13 PM   #7
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
Mine's bigger.

JC
Showoff

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:43 PM   #8
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

shitville and obama day?
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:13 AM   #9
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post

Tom
It's easy enough to say that any child in America can grow up to be President. Thirteen percent of America's population have seen it demonstrated that those aren't just words. That could be a more historic event to those people than landing on the moon. I don't know if it warrants a holiday when the man has barely taken office, but it's certainly worthy of note.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
It's easy enough to say that any child in America can grow up to be President. Thirteen percent of America's population have seen it demonstrated that those aren't just words. That could be a more historic event to those people than landing on the moon. I don't know if it warrants a holiday when the man has barely taken office, but it's certainly worthy of note.
any child with a million bucks and the right patrons you mean?
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote