Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Touring

Old 08-20-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
pickle.of.doom
el diablo de verde

Moto: VTR, CBR, DRZSM
Default 2000 Miles, 5 days.

Lets step a few months back to start this story. Normally, we at WOS take a yearly Deals Gap trip, usually right around Memorial Day weekend, and usually about 9 days or so. However, due to a lot of conflicting schedules and whatnot, the trip was not made this year. There were some scattered ideas to do a trip later in the season, but it was starting to look like it wasn't going to happen.

One of our members also rides with a local touring group. He informs us that they are doing a run down that way and we are welcome to join. A few of us were tossing around the idea of trailering down, spending the week at the gap, and meeting up with the others when they arrive down there. I was down with the trailering idea because I really want to take the DRZ down. But as the trip got closer and closer, it was becoming clear that it wasn't going to happen, so pretty much last minute I make the decision to take the ride down on two wheels. Hmm, I'm going to need more luggage. One quick trip to newenough, and two days later my Nelson Riggs saddlebags and tailpack arrive, for less than $150. Great deal, great luggage, thanks again for the millionth time, newenough!

OK, so now its 5 days until we roll out. I take care of some last minute TLC to the bike, coolant swap, changed out my clutch fluid, checked all the brake pads for wear, tighten and lube up the chain. What the fuck is that? Are those missing teeth on my rear sprocket? FUCK! It's about 8:00 in the evening on Monday, and I am rolling out Friday afternoon. Shit. Start looking around on the internet, calling shops, but realise its near impossible to find any place that stocks the size I need (520 43 tooth rear). I go to Vortex's page and realise that I can order directly from them. The shop is closed for the day already, and online it says my order will be processed on Tuesday and Shipped on Weds. Damn, thats cutting it pretty close. So I go for the express overnight shipping for like $45, plus the $55 for the sprocket, so to be safe I paid nearly as much on the shipping as I did on the part. I get an email confirming my order. Weds morning I get up and check the email again, expecting to see a shipping confirmation message, but no luck, another "Oh SHit" . Open the door to let the dogs out (Yes, I let the dogs out, woof,woof woof) and a package falls on my feet. Yes! My sprocket arrived, big monkey off my back. Slap that shit on, finish a few odds and ends, and the SuperHawk is ready to roll.

Now its Friday. Time to roll out. We are all meeting up down off of I-75 near Southern MI border. Pull up and see about 6 guys that I don't know with a bunch of bikes all loaded up, so I assume this is the group. Introduce myself, BS for a minute, then the other 2 WOS members that are going roll in, and our group of 9 is complete. First night is mostly freeway down to Zainesville, OH. High speed freeway run, seems like we make it down there pretty quick. Stop at an A&W to eat, roll in to the hotel, and head for the hotel bar. I think with the 9 of us in there, the 2 locals hanging out, and the bartender, that this was the most this bar had seen in a looooong time. Head back to the rooms, pass out, early rise for the next day.

Next morning. Remember that A&W burger? Yeah, well, its coming back to haunt me. Wake up, puke. Feel like ass. Hmm, well, maybe it will be easy riding for a bit and I will have some time to get feelin better. 5 minutes out of the hotel parking lot we are in the twisties, so much for relaxing! Ohio 555 is a fun road. Forget about feeling like shit, i'm up front slayin that shit. Stop for lunch somewhere in OH or WV, not really sure, but go for just a plain hot dog thinking that would be a good idea. 2 bites in and I'm behind the building puking again, oh joy! Roll out of there, through some more great roads through WV and into VA, and arrive at our hotel for the evening which is just outside of Roanoke, VA. The rest of the gang heads out for dinner and beer, I stay behind and just relax, PTSU a bit, and finally start to feel right again.

Day 3, Mostly the Blue Ridge Parkway. The 3 wos guys and two others end up in the lead group, and the rest are back somewhere behind us. Pretty much smooth sailing on the BRP, not much traffic, and we were able to fly along at outrageous speeds with no problems.

Stop off in Lil Switzerland for lunch, get the same waitress that these guys get every year, and we all drool over her extreme hotness and the most crazy eyes (in the good way) that you've ever seen. Still no contact with the other group other than a quick gurble through a nearly no service cell phone that said simply "We had an issue".
Well, the issue was a deer then ran right out in front of one of the group, and he went down avoiding it at about 65 mph. Got some road rash where the pavement burned through his riding gear on his calf and forearm, but other than that he was good, just sore. Bike was in reasonably good shape, one of his had bags broke off, but was able to be bungied back on, and probably saved the bike by taking the hit first. We get the groups back together into one, work our way off the BRP and up 28 to the Deals Gap Resort. First time I have ever actually stayed right there, what a cool place.

Day 4 is Gap runs, Gap runs, Gap runs. Cops weren't too bad, not much traffic, mostly because its a Monday. Skyway runs too, and why the fuck do we always hope that Joyce Kilmer got a repave since the last time we were down that goat path? Well, it hasn't, still a goat path No luggage that day, so no camera. But it was fun

Well, day 5 has come, and time for the 540+ mile shot home. Better grab the usual shot at deals gap before we leave.....

I -75 straight up. Assburner from hell. Woke up in NC, went to sleep in MI. Total miles for the trip was about 2153 for me. The ol 'Hawk performed flawlessly, front tire is just about wasted now though. Dragged a little saddlebag on the way out even. Overall, even with the pukings and the guys going down and the black bear that ran out in front of us on 129, this trip was a solid 11 on a scale of 1 to 10. Even though we only had basically 1 day down there I had more fun riding all the way down and back than I ever had trailering down and spending the week there. The 6 unknown guys I reluctantly rolled up to at that first gas station in MI are now all great friends, and of course the bonds with the other WOS guys that joined are even stronger now.

What a fuckin trip....

WOS Forums
pickle.of.doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:21 PM   #2
t-homo
WSB Champion

Sounds like an absolute blast.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
Rider
Moto GP Star

Sounds like a fun trip.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:33 PM   #4
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

Sounds Sweet Dude!! My Buddy Rides a Superhawk...Thing is a Monster.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:21 PM   #5
zerioustt
i like titties

trips sucks unless you provide pictures of hotttt waitress..

im serious

still serious...but def looks like a kickass time!
zerioustt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:31 PM   #6
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

That brings back a memory or two.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:23 AM   #7
fatburg
Grill Master

Moto: Yamaha FZ6

small world, I was just over reading on an FZ6 forum and a very similar story was written, start looking at the pics, BAM...same pics.
fatburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:27 AM   #8
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatburg View Post
small world, I was just over reading on an FZ6 forum and a very similar story was written, start looking at the pics, BAM...same pics.
Probably some dude named Faze right?
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:16 AM   #9
fatburg
Grill Master

Moto: Yamaha FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Probably some dude named Faze right?
Think it was FazeX
fatburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:51 AM   #10
pickle.of.doom
el diablo de verde

Moto: VTR, CBR, DRZSM

Yep that my buddy Joe ANother WOS Member.

WOS Forums
pickle.of.doom is offline   Reply With Quote