Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Touring

Old 04-06-2008, 10:02 AM   #11
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagerdrinker View Post
Do you use a gps on your bike? what kinda bike? what gps (model)? Do you like it? do you need it?
At my wife’s suggestion / Instance when we bought our Goldwings I got the built GPS (its a Garmin set up) What a life saver I found myself riding a very tired and riding a high way in northwestern MD I came over the top of a mountain to find a sign that the next 23 miles would be grooved pavement. So here I am headed down a mountain on unfamiliar roads and for the next 13 miles 2/3rds of my control surface is gone. Rolled carefully to the next exit. told the Garmin to re route avoiding the highway and was at my daughters dorm 40 minute later having seen 40 miles of the prettiest secondary roads in MD. This year I am buying a portable GPS that can clip on the other bikes.
nhgunnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:16 AM   #12
comonboys
Ridin Naked. HMMMMM......

Moto: 650 SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
yeah that's the only reason I have it with me when I ride...

I marked trail routes in my truck
You know if you have Verizon service some of the phones now have GPS in them. It's called VZnavigator. I use it all the time on my Blackberry..... OOO the perks of working for Verizon!!!!!!! All the fun stuff at a discount....
comonboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:17 AM   #13
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

good to know... pick me out a good one
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:11 PM   #14
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by comonboys View Post
You know if you have Verizon service some of the phones now have GPS in them. It's called VZnavigator. I use it all the time on my Blackberry..... OOO the perks of working for Verizon!!!!!!! All the fun stuff at a discount....
How well does that work? Do you need a special phone for it, or any VZ phone with web capability? Do you honestly feel it's worth the monthly fee?
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #15
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
How well does that work? Do you need a special phone for it, or any VZ phone with web capability? Do you honestly feel it's worth the monthly fee?
She thinks it's worth it cause she works for verizon...
I say, if you are going to use it often, it's probably worth it, if you just go to work and home again... no.
Most newer phones should support it, but I'm not sure what will and what won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:13 AM   #16
NeonspeedRT
At Large

Moto: 2005 R1

The Garmin Zumo 550 is the GPS that was built for motorcyclists by motorcyclists. Thats the mac daddy one. It retails for over $900. However several people have bought it on ebay for around $500. So look around.

If you want a good GPS and don't need the mp3/XM/bluetooth bells and whistles, i've heard the quest 2 is supposed to be a great GPS as well.

"Riding a motorcycle is like playing chess. Anyone can learn the moves, but it takes a lifetime to master the game."
NeonspeedRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:58 AM   #17
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
She thinks it's worth it cause she works for verizon...
I say, if you are going to use it often, it's probably worth it, if you just go to work and home again... no.
Most newer phones should support it, but I'm not sure what will and what won't.
I have "gps" on my phone too. Helio uses Garmin's service and Google maps. The Google service is free btw.The real problem with phone based gps is that a premium/digital phone signal is necessary for most of them. What if you ain't got no bars? Oh I forgot,and it's sloooowwwww because it delayed going thru the towers and is usually somewhere behind your actual position.

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 04-11-2008 at 11:00 AM..
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:15 PM   #18
comonboys
Ridin Naked. HMMMMM......

Moto: 650 SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
It's a $9.99 monthly fee. However with the Verizon Premium Pack you get it unlimited with no data charges..... You have to have a premium capable phone. So let me know which phone you have and I can tell you about it. Or just PM with your information and I can let you know what the best option is for you...If you plan on using it alot it's better to get the premium pack where you don't need to worry about data charges..... Otherwise you accrue data charges which are $1.99 per mb. Which equals 100 refreshes of your screen, so yeah. do the premium pack but it's each situation is different.

And ebbs. When you are home we will pimp you up with all sorts of shit. BWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
comonboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:20 AM   #19
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

I was actually think'n of switch'n my phone to a pre-paid phone... I don't use my phone much... and it's anoying to spend $50 a month when I use less than 1/3 of the minutes 11months out of the year.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:32 AM   #20
lagerdrinker
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
I was actually think'n of switch'n my phone to a pre-paid phone... I don't use my phone much...
i hate my cell phone, wish i never got one. Now anyone can get a hold of me and when i dont answer they leave voicemails saying i never answer and then the texting begins. Why cant they get the hint? i dont answer cause im busy and ill get back when im not...fuckers