Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 08-17-2010, 12:04 AM   #11
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

For the record, I've rebuilt entire engines, changed manual transmissions in 17 degree weather with nothing more than a 3/8" drive Chinese socket set (in 20 minutes!), moved fucking mountains, and performed numerous mechanical miracles in my day.

NEVER have I had such a sucky fucking time doing anything as this fucking car.

I've developed a whole new vocabulary in just the past 24 hours, and for me, that's saying something.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER again. Unless you count the other side of the car, which still lies ahead...

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Avatard; 08-17-2010 at 12:07 AM..
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:21 AM   #12
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
It's so deep Av. I don't need one know. Could have used one 5 or so years ago when I rebuilt my front end. I did the redneck tightning. Jaw pliers, turn till tight, back off some, set nut lock washer tabs.

We got a handyman store here and the guy gets things from Cali that are damaged, missing pieces, etc. There was a HF Earthquake impact I should have gotten. He wants $75 but I'm not sure on which model. Not worth it if its the 3/8 or 1/2" model, but its the 3/4" then its WAY worth it since those new are over $200.

Last edited by Rangerscott; 08-17-2010 at 12:25 AM..
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:06 AM   #13
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Not to enjoy your pain, but I am glad to know I'm not the only one with these experiences when it comes to working on my own shit. Hell the other day I had to put a power steering line on my truck. went to take off the tire and forgot I had let the little tire monkey put the shit on the truck a couple months ago. he had those things so tight it took a 3 foot cheater bar to loosen the lugs. if it would have happened on the road, no way I'd have gotten them off. I took all the tires off and properly tightened them.
we won't even talk about changing the rotors on that mother. 3 days of swinging a sledgehammer but all 4 are nice and new.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:10 AM   #14
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Tip: if a wheel stud breaks off before the job even gets really started, you're ROYALLY effed. Ask me how I know.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:52 AM   #15
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Tip: if a wheel stud breaks off before the job even gets really started, you're ROYALLY effed. Ask me how I know.
I broke a wheel stud on my wife's car the other week. All I was doing was rotating the friggin' tires...19 lugnuts back on...it was late at night...I was tired from doing other crap all day...she's heading out of town the next morning and on the 20th lugnut...SNAP...ping...ping..ping...across the garage floor...FVCK !!!

This past Friday afternoon I'm trying to help my elderly father with a 2001 PT Cruiser. The PCM (computer) has gone bad. Chrysler wants $800 + to replace it not to mention they had already charged him an $89 diagnostic fee to read the code and tell him it was bad. All you have to do is turn the key on and off 3 times to read the code on the dash but he didn't ask me before venturing over to the dealership.

I find him a refurbished PCM for $199 with a lifetime warranty and tell him I can install it obviously for free. I get the computer UPS'd to me go over there after work Friday...heat index over 100 of course...change out of my suit that I have to wear to work head out to the car and say..."pop...pull the hood release"...he does and NOTHING. Now I'm in sort of a hurry and had planned to put this thing in fairly quickly even though you have to remove the air intake etc...just to get to the battery because it's underneath.

His hood release cable had come out of the cradle and now we can't open the hood.

I go in to his house and get on his SLOW internet and hit up a PT Cruiser forum and figure out how to break in to the hood without messing his car up. I go back out after about 30-45 minutes on his SLOW internet connection and after a few tries manage to get the hood open and then can finally start on what I came over there for.

Needless to say...I'm already hot with sweat dripping in my eyes as I start on the PCM replacement.

Got it knocked out and saved him some $$ so it was all good.

This just came to mind when I saw this thread...nothing ever seems to go easy for me.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:57 AM   #16
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Ah, the brotherhood of wrench misery.

I tell you, I am in hell. I may take a day off before I go back to this.

Worst. Job. Ever.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:58 AM   #17
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
I broke a wheel stud on my wife's car the other week. All I was doing was rotating the friggin' tires...19 lugnuts back on...it was late at night...I was tired from doing other crap all day...she's heading out of town the next morning and on the 20th lugnut...SNAP...ping...ping..ping...across the garage floor...FVCK !!!

This past Friday afternoon I'm trying to help my elderly father with a 2001 PT Cruiser. The PCM (computer) has gone bad. Chrysler wants $800 + to replace it not to mention they had already charged him an $89 diagnostic fee to read the code and tell him it was bad. All you have to do is turn the key on and off 3 times to read the code on the dash but he didn't ask me before venturing over to the dealership.

I find him a refurbished PCM for $199 with a lifetime warranty and tell him I can install it obviously for free. I get the computer UPS'd to me go over there after work Friday...heat index over 100 of course...change out of my suit that I have to wear to work head out to the car and say..."pop...pull the hood release"...he does and NOTHING. Now I'm in sort of a hurry and had planned to put this thing in fairly quickly even though you have to remove the air intake etc...just to get to the battery because it's underneath.

His hood release cable had come out of the cradle and now we can't open the hood.

I go in to his house and get on his SLOW internet and hit up a PT Cruiser forum and figure out how to break in to the hood without messing his car up. I go back out after about 30-45 minutes on his SLOW internet connection and after a few tries manage to get the hood open and then can finally start on what I came over there for.

Needless to say...I'm already hot with sweat dripping in my eyes as I start on the PCM replacement.

Got it knocked out and saved him some $$ so it was all good.

This just came to mind when I saw this thread...nothing ever seems to go easy for me.
the shitty wheel studs are the only complaint I have with my winter car (2007 Kia Optima). At least 1 breaks every time I switch from summer to winter tires or vice versa.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:00 PM   #18
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Anti-seize just may be your best friend ever.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #19
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Anti-seize just may be your best friend ever.
truth. That and the fact that by the end of next year almost all of them will have been replaced with better studs anyhow

Old 08-17-2010, 02:30 PM   #20
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

I've done a few wheel bearings now that I have learned why the shops usually charge a shitload in labor to get them replaced.