Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 04-21-2009, 12:46 PM   #11
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
How did people get along before the Mighty-Vac.

Do what I said, and you'll be riding that thing in less than an hour. Chop chop.
Hah, not really. still need plastics to get here, and change the oil.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #12
Rider
Moto GP Star

Buy these... You'll thank me for it.

http://www.speedbleeder.com/
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #13
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

guys seriously. Im trying to be stuborn here. stop telling me to buy things i already know about. I dont want to spend money right now.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #14
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
guys seriously. Im trying to be stuborn here. stop telling me to buy things i already know about. I dont want to spend money right now.

Okay, people are going to say I'm crazy but... Take the caliper back off the bike and elevate it above the master cylinder. Statue of Liberty style! Open the bleeder and pump until fluid comes out in a decent flow. Re-install the caliper and do the same to the other side. Of course, make sure you open and close the bleeder with it elevated and always keep the res. full. Now bleed the brakes until you get decent pressure and no big bubbles. Pump the brake lever until you get max pressure and hold it in and tape/zip tie the lever back. Tap the lines a few times with a wrench or some thing and go have a sandwich, watch tv, go to bed, whatever. When you get back the brakes should be good (give it 4-6 hours).If not pump them up again and tie them back and leave them for a few more hours. Rock hard brakes and stoppies for all!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:13 PM   #15
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

For the record I've installed brake lines on every bike I've owned since 1995 using this method.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #16
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

thx tig, but it didnt even get to that point. I used the water bottle meathod (bleeding the fluid into water so air cant get back into the system) just fine.

After some tweaks and tinkering i got it all done pretty damn quick. let it gravity feed for a couple resevoirs full, then pumped all the bubbles out until i got to the tiny bubbles, then pumped them all out til i got no bubbles, then a few more pumps just to make sure. Then closed the bleed and did the same on the other side. No bubbles. Im going to go finish it up by trying these steps out.

Quote:
Fine Bleed:
This step assumes you have a majority of the air out of the system.
1. Open the reservoir and top it off with fluid
2. Attach the hose to the bleeder of one caliper. Run the other end of the hose into the water bottle, keeping the end IN THE WATER.
3. With small short strokes, pump the lever until it is firm.
4. Squeeze the lever firmly.
5. Crack open the bleeder valve momentarily and then close it. This should be done while the lever is pulled in and NOT RELEASED.
6. Release the lever and repeat steps 3-5 until you get 3 or more full strokes with NO evidence of air bubbles.
7. Repeat for other side
Have great pressure now, just wish i could actually ride the bike out to test the new lines and HH pads.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:30 PM   #17
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Don't forget to give those new pads a couple hundred miles before you crank on them.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:31 PM   #18
Switch
dadbod

We are all proud of you.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #19
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
thx tig, but it didnt even get to that point. I used the water bottle meathod (bleeding the fluid into water so air cant get back into the system) just fine.

After some tweaks and tinkering i got it all done pretty damn quick. let it gravity feed for a couple resevoirs full, then pumped all the bubbles out until i got to the tiny bubbles, then pumped them all out til i got no bubbles, then a few more pumps just to make sure. Then closed the bleed and did the same on the other side. No bubbles. Im going to go finish it up by trying these steps out.

Have great pressure now, just wish i could actually ride the bike out to test the new lines and HH pads.

Good! Well for good measure, pump them up and tie them back overnight. That will allow any air stuck in there to rise to the res.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:39 PM   #20
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee Stud View Post
We are all proud of you.
thx kyle. Wish i came out of the womb knowing everything, but alas, i am but a mortal.

elaborate a little tig, i understand letting the air rise to the res overnight, but im still scratching my head on that post.