Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 12-28-2009, 02:58 PM   #101
unknownroad
Guys... where *are* we?

Moto: SV650 Interstate, CX500 rat-bobber, whatever else runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
Copper and Fiberoptic cables are very expensive by themselves. The cost to put that stuff up or bury it is pretty big too. I wonder how much it'd cost to just get locates for 10miles of copper to some jokers house in the middle of South Carolina?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
So we are trying to get high speed internet service to people who don't even have a telephone?
Apparently you are I just want my fucking POS ILEC to bumble their way up to 1998 and invest in a fucking DSLAM.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #102
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownroad View Post
Satellite is broadband in a technical sense. However, the latency is brutal (even at the speed of light, it takes a while for data to run through the atmosphere and back), which means it sucks ass for things like terminal server applications.

And you need to shop around a bit for your towers.

That's already the situation when it comes to wired broadband. Verizon is the ILEC for our little section of South Carolina. Don't know how the hell they ended up owning the wires, since everything else in the county is owned by AT&T (formerly Bellsouth), but they couldn't possibly care less. They refuse to upgrade the local Central Office to run DSL, so we don't get it.

Comcast owns the franchise rights to cable in our area. Call any other cable company, and they say we can't help you, call Comcast. Call Comcast, and they say "we show that your local carrier is DirectTV." They refuse to run cable a mile down one of the main roads in town, even when we offered to pay them to do it, even when the town council intervened on resident's behalf. The local wired utilities are government-licensed monopolies, and they say "fuck you".
According to a few here, as an American, you don't count.

...But I wouldn't take it too hard, they don't seem to like America anyway.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:04 PM   #103
unknownroad
Guys... where *are* we?

Moto: SV650 Interstate, CX500 rat-bobber, whatever else runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
"Due to overwhelming demand, new installations in your area have been temporarily suspended. We expect additional capacity to be available in your area in a few weeks. Please register now or call your local WildBlue retailer to reserve your spot for when installations resume in your area. We will follow up by phone ASAP"
I've been getting that message from them for 3 years.

Last time I checked, both Wildblue and Hughesnet start-up costs were around $600, nonrefundable, with a year or longer contract, no early termination allowed. So, you pay them to install the hardware, and if it doesn't work to your expectations... you keep paying them. Most feedback I'd read at the time suggested that Hughesnet worked irregularly, and seldom delivered the promised throughput.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:03 PM   #104
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
...And you're Ted Kaczynski lite, and one hell of a fucking whackbag.
No he isn't....he just doesn't want to pay for everyone else's shit if he doesn't have to...me included.

All of you fail to see how this is actually going to "help the economy" and not drive us in more debt. People who use the internet already have the internet. The people who don't are:
1. Too old to know how to use a computer
OR
2. Too poor to own a PC.

Do you think just because you allow free internet more sales are going to be generated? Doubt it. What will happen is buisness will simply shift from one going to a store to now going to purchase something online. You haven't increased any jobs base so there is no more money in people's pocket. You probably did the opposite.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:06 PM   #105
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

At half the price...

Tell me 101, how come I can't find bike tires for less than 500 a set locally, but I can order them off the net for about 200 less..

You would think the local shops could sell at the same price.. Hmmm..
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:10 PM   #106
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
You have the intellectual capacity of a table leg, so coming from you, that's a compliment.

First off, it's not "other peoples money", it's MY MONEY too. I pay a lot more in taxes than you do, (according to your posts, you don't pay shit) so STFU about other peoples money.

How much have you contributed towards our National Defense? Dick, that's how much. Did you go to a public school? I'm guessing you did. You know who payed for that? Me motherfucker (that would be the collective "me", as in motherfuckers who pay taxes for schools, even though they don't have any kids), that's who. In your case that money was surely squandered. Your dumb cracker ass owes me a refund.

Mind you, I'm not complaining. I know the money I spend on education will not reach the smart kids only. I'll end up paying for some retards too, but that's ok, because all in all, it's for the greater good.

When you start paying for the education of retards with snake flags, you can bitch all you want. Until then, you can blow me.

JC
Why would you want to pay for cable internet, then pay for it again via the government subsidizing wireless?

Have you ever used an aircard? You can't stream video worth crap and it's rather slow vs. cable. Though I guess email is prolly fine.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
Old 12-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #107
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
....I'll end up paying for some retards too, but that's ok, because all in all, it's for the greater good.....
That is the picture they paint so suckers can hand more tax money over to government. Greater good my ass...more like another buearacratic entity in which a few profit.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
Old 12-28-2009, 05:16 PM   #108
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Nothing hidden about it, I'm a capitalist.

More people online, means more online sales. More online sales nation wide, means more money being spent nation wide. That, in turn, equals more jobs and more economic growth.

Why do you hate America?

JC
Hint: If you take more of my money to pay for free internet without increasing my pay, I now have LESS money to spend at a STORE OR ONLINE.

Less money = less purchasing. Maybe math wasn't your strong suit.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
Old 12-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #109
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownroad View Post
Satellite is broadband in a technical sense. However, the latency is brutal (even at the speed of light, it takes a while for data to run through the atmosphere and back), which means it sucks ass for things like terminal server applications.

And you need to shop around a bit for your towers.
What is your point here? Now we are debating fast and slow internet to a selective few? You want fast internet, move to a city.

Quote:
...That's already the situation when it comes to wired broadband. Verizon is the ILEC for our little section of South Carolina. Don't know how the hell they ended up owning the wires, since everything else in the county is owned by AT&T (formerly Bellsouth), but they couldn't possibly care less. They refuse to upgrade the local Central Office to run DSL, so we don't get it.

Comcast owns the franchise rights to cable in our area. Call any other cable company, and they say we can't help you, call Comcast. Call Comcast, and they say "we show that your local carrier is DirectTV." They refuse to run cable a mile down one of the main roads in town, even when we offered to pay them to do it, even when the town council intervened on resident's behalf. The local wired utilities are government-licensed monopolies, and they say "fuck you".
It apparently does not make buisness sense to run the cable "a mile down the road"....so just get Direct TV? Am I missing something here?

The problem is that alot of you for this crap think that everything is a "right" and the rest "well if the government is going to take my money, I might as well be for free internet". Both are wrong ideals IMO.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
Old 12-28-2009, 05:27 PM   #110
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
At half the price...

Tell me 101, how come I can't find bike tires for less than 500 a set locally, but I can order them off the net for about 200 less..

You would think the local shops could sell at the same price.. Hmmm..
My internet is 30 bucks a month...Say I pay 15...BFD. I have 8MB downloads and 1.5MB uploads. Why would I want to go to some wireless shit that is going to be slower over 15 bucks a month? To further water down the dollar due to more debt? I mean it isn't like the U.S. is rollin in cash.

I buy my tires from a Bridgestone distributor...330 installed on the rims and these are the BT003 Dot Race tires in any compound. You're getting ripped off plain and simple.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM