Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 11-20-2009, 09:50 AM   #21
CasterTroy

Oh yeah.....pleanty of them. This weekend in fact is STT's on the main course....I' going back for the kart track if it's not a downpour.

Nesba runs there too
Old 11-20-2009, 10:07 AM   #22
Clay
I know nothing...

Nope. Just gonna go pick up our bike and head home. Maybe in Dec we'll go do the Middle GA race at the Herrin's place. I hate this though, been waiting for half a year to get on this new mini track!
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:23 AM   #23
CasterTroy

I may still go if it drops to 50% chance....need to show support so we can get back on it
Old 11-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #24
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Looks like you had a good time! I've only been to that track once; if you can hang there on a Motard you'd be fine on VIR North, VIR South, and VIR Patriot. You would not enjoy Full or Grand.

I hope the weather cuts you a break!
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #25
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
if you can hang there on a Motard you'd be fine on VIR North, VIR South, and VIR Patriot.
well I held my own thru most of the corners, but 7, 8 & 9 were a slaughter because between 80-100 I don't have ANY power....I just have to let it build
Old 11-20-2009, 11:01 AM   #26
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
well I held my own thru most of the corners, but 7, 8 & 9 were a slaughter because between 80-100 I don't have ANY power....I just have to let it build
I bet, that's a long stretch of pavement there for a Motard! The only place you'd struggle on a Motard at VIR North would be the front straight and maybe the roller coaster (not if you rode with the beginner group).

I remember T10 at CMP pretty well. I finally carried some good corner entry speed in and hit that "hump" on the inside at 120+. Damn near put me in the infield at a pretty high rate of speed and I nearly had to lock up the front to slow down for T11. Took about 2 sessions to get back into form through that section.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #27
CasterTroy

I could carry my full top speed (once I GOT there) of a whopping 105 thru the hump and even over it with ease on the motard...and I didn't have to even HIT the brakes till after #2, so I could really make up ground from there to 14, but once we started on the straight, everyone I passed came around doing the

But I spoke with most of the riders and they were all cool and said I wasn't in the way. Most everyone said the same thing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teton
I was laughing under my helmet following you, that motard looked like sooo much fun, especially through T11 and 12 u were flicking that thing like it weighed nothing.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:08 PM   #28
Clay
I know nothing...

Dude, have you ever considered changing the gearing? Throw on a one tooth larger front sprocket.

One of these days I wonder if I could get out and do a track day with you on Caleb's 125. In fact, I'll bet I'd whip 90% of everyone out there on that bike. The thing is a doctor's scalpel, even with my massive butt on it! I've got another set of forks, I could have Traxxion throw some heavy springs in, and I've already got a heavy spring for the shock that I could change out...
Old 11-20-2009, 02:29 PM   #29
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Dude, have you ever considered changing the gearing? Throw on a one tooth larger front sprocket.
Well at 105 it's not running into the limiter....it's just out of POWER. I honestly think it would be SLOWER with a larger front sprocket, but not certain. I think (with my big ass on it) it's reaching its aerodynamic/power threshold at 105 but I COULD be wrong.

At anything over 105 I’d need a steering damper anyway….any ideas on one of those for a motard Clay?

I dunno…I may throw $1500-$2000 at it in the spring for a 747 kit and a pair of flatsides to give me that power from 80-whatever but that’s a lot of cabbage
Old 11-20-2009, 11:09 PM   #30
Clay
I know nothing...

Hmmm, I guess the torque curve of the engine will make the difference. It's not a sportbike that would rev out to high RPMs. I've never tuned a big single like that so I have no idea. Couldn't hurt to spen 20 bucks on a front sprocket and give 'er a try though.

Personally, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a bike that was never meant for the track. Instead, sell it and get an already built SV or something like that, even a dedicated 'tard if you love that style.

I still may look at going to the MGKT race Dec 5-6. Just depends I guess.